BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

02-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
DIY Ramp for steep driveway

I live on a fairly aggressive hill and to access my garage you have to drive down and in to get to the garage. Before my M3 this wasn't a problem but the night I brought my car home my dad was there to see it and as I was pulling in he waved me off. I then tried all different angles but still the front end was going to come in contact. Needless to say he thought it was extremely funny that my expensive car was now going to have to sleep outside. So I had to improvise.

I laid two sheets of 5/8" plywood down so they overlapped about 12" and this enabled me access without contact. Well since I didn't make it look super nice the first time with my paint selection (I used plasti dip which peeled really bad) I decided to start over.

This time I did pressure treated plywood (to make it last longer in wet weather) and used an outdoor deck paint. I bought a gallon of it and yesterday sanded and painted. I hope to put it in place tomorrow. Here are some pics of my progress.
Attached Images

02-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Ha, I had to do the same thing once. Except my ramps were way worse looking! Nice work!
      02-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i have the raised lip style curbing thats the same height everwhere to overcome when pulling into my driveway and had to put together a small ramp to help me out. now car sits slightly higher and not an issue.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
i have the raised lip style curbing thats the same height everwhere to overcome when pulling into my driveway and had to put together a small ramp to help me out. now car sits slightly higher and not an issue.
How are you sitting higher? You switch to larger wheels?
      02-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fantana View Post
when i bought my current e46 it was pretty slammed on gc coilovers by previous owner and to get enough front suspension travel on the track i needed it to be raised up slightly when i put the mcs on. now i can get in at and angle just fine without hitting the splitters. this will change again once aero happens.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
Quote:
when i bought my current e46 it was pretty slammed on gc coilovers by previous owner and to get enough front suspension travel on the track i needed it to be raised up slightly when i put the mcs on. now i can get in at and angle just fine without hitting the splitters. this will change again once aero happens.
Must be curb and gutter style in your neck of the woods. I lived in Utah for a while and it's like falling off a cliff transitioning from driveway to the street in some parts. I remember forgetting sometimes in a duramax truck I used to own and it was almost worse than hitting speed bump with a fair amount of speed.
      02-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Must be curb and gutter style in your neck of the woods. I lived in Utah for a while and it's like falling off a cliff transitioning from driveway to the street in some parts. I remember forgetting sometimes in a duramax truck I used to own and it was almost worse than hitting speed bump with a fair amount of speed.
yeah new neighborhood and stupid design if you ask me. i want to go out there with a pick axe and fix it.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
downtowncb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

My M too couldn't get into my driveway without scraping. I bought a black curb ramp from bridjit.com and it has worked great. I still have to come in at a little angle, but as long as I do I don't scrape. Before I bought it I had destroyed the set of corner airdam felts within a month.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Ok after like 30 minutes of back and forth with the wife finally got the angle.(that's what she said) I didn't realize I bought the thinner sheet from last time so it was more challenging this time.
Attached Images

02-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
Conzyo
Pho is yummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E70 X5M & 12' GTR

The M looks awesome.
      02-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I just bought cold press asphalt and pressed it down in front of my driveway. It comes out about 12" but without it my front end was done.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
Mpowered
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Wagon

I wish I could do this, but my trouble area is where my driveway hits the street, so if I put a ramp there it would impede the sidewalk. Thinking about getting a contractor to regrade the spot, but not sure they city would like that as it would cause the sidewalk to not be level.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
SVH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i & 2011-e93 TT

Mpowered-
Driveway entrances can be lowered but you have to taper down the existing sidewalk(s) as they approach your newly lowered driveway entrance. Most towns/city's have the specifications available.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Evolve Automotive
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

whoa thats pretty steep
Appreciate 0