BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

E93+DCT=Dog???

I finally got to test drive an M3 today and they only had a DCT so I took that out and holy jeebus was I disappointed. The car would simply not get out of it's own way I currently drive a GTI and with the APR flash I'm making 265HP/303Lb-ft and with it being a lot lighter than the M3 I knew it would be close but the M3 just felt like a dog. No matter what mode I was in, if the power button was pressed, it just never pressed me back into my seat like my GTI does and that disappointed the hell out of me. I still want to drive a manual M3 and hopefully it's better. If the manual disappoints as well I may just go with a 550i or an X5 diesel.

Thoughts? Im really hoping the manual is that much better.

Last edited by quality_sound; 08-16-2009 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
That's the turbo effect in action. I agree that the M3 doesn't feel overly quick, but put it up against your GTi and watch it drift off into the distance.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I finally got to test drive an M3 today and they only had a DCT so I took that out and holy jeebus was I disappointed. The car would simply not get out of it's own weight. I currently drive a GTI and with the APR flash I'm making 265HP/303Lb-ft and with it being a lot lighter than the M3 I knew it would be close but the M3 just felt like a dog. No matter what mode I was in, if the power button was pressed, it just never pressed me back into my seat like my GTI does and that disappointed the hell out of me. I still want to drive a manual M3 and hopefully it's better. If the manual disappoints as well I may just go with a 550i or an X5 diesel.

lol..

Yes, the vert is a much heavier car than your GTI, so I can see how you would be disappointed. But, it's not really fair to compare those two cars.

The E93 vert DCT performance vs. the E92 DCT coupe for example would be much closer.
      08-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
I finally got to test drive an M3 today and they only had a DCT so I took that out and holy jeebus was I disappointed. The car would simply not get out of it's own weight. I currently drive a GTI and with the APR flash I'm making 265HP/303Lb-ft and with it being a lot lighter than the M3 I knew it would be close but the M3 just felt like a dog. No matter what mode I was in, if the power button was pressed, it just never pressed me back into my seat like my GTI does and that disappointed the hell out of me. I still want to drive a manual M3 and hopefully it's better. If the manual disappoints as well I may just go with a 550i or an X5 diesel.

Turn on the Power switch (improves throttle responsiveness), flip to Manual mode and use the paddles, then
In Auto "D" mode the DCT starts the car out in 2nd gear, but in manual mode you are in 1st gear. Recommend now doing a comparison drive

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I don't have ANY intention of buying a DCT I just want to see if the manual M3 has more giddy-up. I know it's not a fair comparison but it's what I have against what I'm going into.

footie - It's not the turbo effect, the E93 DCT just wouldn't get going. It took forever and a day to get up to speed. I guarantee you if I took out my GTI and that particular M3 out my GTI would walk that M3. I'm not saying I'd take, all, or even most M3s but the one I drove was a dog. The dealer is getting E90 and E92 testers sometime Monday, unfortunately both DCTs as well, but I'm going to give them a run for shits and giggles since I'll be there driving the 550 and X5 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Turn on the Power switch (improves throttle responsiveness), flip to Manual mode and use the paddles, then
In Auto "D" mode the DCT starts the car out in 2nd gear, but in manual mode you are in 1st gear. Recommend now doing a comparison drive
I did all of that and it STILL lagged. It was weird but it felt REALLY underpowered. Like it needed another 100lb-ft of torque. I'm thinking there ws either something wrong with that car or the tranny adapted to drivers babying it.

I will be going back Monday so I'll take out the E90 and E92 they have coming in and report back with the updates. I really wish they'd get a 6MT in. I HATE buying a car without driving one first.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

You have to get into the upper rev range. It won't feel fast probably anyway. Feeling is different than reality, I have been in some slow cars with turbos that feel much faster than you would think.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

If you were looking for fast acceleration, why did you bother driving a Vert in the first place?? Are you not aware that it is close to 500 lbs heavier than the coupe/sedans??? It is barely quicker than a E46 M3 or 335 by a small margin.

Unfortunately, weight on the Vert FTL!!!! It is simple physics. It is a GT cruiser with open air experience costing some performance.

Go try a coupe or a sedan, they both weigh 3600 lbs. Drive a 6 speed manual and if you know how to get the most with 6 speed, anyone of these should blow you away with the acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
I did all of that and it STILL lagged. It was weird but it felt REALLY underpowered. Like it needed another 100lb-ft of torque. I'm thinking there was either something wrong with that car or the tranny adapted to drivers babying it.
Sounds like the dealer may not have installed the latest PROGMAN version yet

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

the m3 is deceptively fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
I did all of that and it STILL lagged. It was weird but it felt REALLY underpowered. Like it needed another 100lb-ft of torque. I'm thinking there ws either something wrong with that car or the tranny adapted to drivers babying it.

I will be going back Monday so I'll take out the E90 and E92 they have coming in and report back with the updates. I really wish they'd get a 6MT in. I HATE buying a car without driving one first.
Vert is fat/heavy. DCT is faster then manual. If you don't feel the M3 is fast enough for you (compared to your current car), don't get it. What else is there to say.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
ecksreturns
Commander-in-Chief
India
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3,2013 M5 and M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
Vert is fat/heavy. DCT is faster then manual. If you don't feel the M3 is fast enough for you (compared to your current car), don't get it. What else is there to say.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #13
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Shopping a M3 Vert vs an X5...something I am misssing here? A little different in vehicle type.

We have the vert with a manual as we wanted a vert. We did not going shopping for anything else, but did initially intend to get a 335.

I do not street race and most likely will track miminally (should take it the 'Ring while I am in Germany as it would be shame to miss the opportunity). The advantage of open motoring was worth the compromise in performance for us. Then again, it will own most of the locally driven diesels that the Germans embrace.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You have to get into the upper rev range. It won't feel fast probably anyway. Feeling is different than reality, I have been in some slow cars with turbos that feel much faster than you would think.
I think I'm weird but I don't usually beat the crap out of a tester so I didn't get much over 6K-6.5K. I'll try getting it a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
If you were looking for fast acceleration, why did you bother driving a Vert in the first place?? Are you not aware that it is close to 500 lbs heavier than the coupe/sedans??? It is barely quicker than a E46 M3 or 335 by a small margin.

Unfortunately, weight on the Vert FTL!!!! It is simple physics. It is a GT cruiser with open air experience costing some performance.

Go try a coupe or a sedan, they both weigh 3600 lbs. Drive a 6 speed manual and if you know how to get the most with 6 speed, anyone of these should blow you away with the acceleration.
I HAD to drive the E93, it's all they'll have until Monday and then the coupe E90 and E92 they're getting will be DCTs. I may take the E90 for a run since that's what I'm looking at anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Sounds like the dealer may not have installed the latest PROGMAN version yet
Ya know, I didn't even ask about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
I agree and I would never do so. The point of my post was to find out if what I experienced was because of the tranny or the weight or something else and if I should expect a noticeable inprovement with the 6MT. I doubt I'll be able to test a manual before I order so I'll just have to beat the hell out of the DCT tester in the mean time.

What I'm thnking is itwas mostly the weight and me not getting on it too hard that were the main issues. I'll hammer on the next one and report back Monday evening (it'll be Monday morning for you guys).
Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #15
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=osteome;5705847]Shopping a M3 Vert vs an X5...something I am misssing here? A little different in vehicle type. [\quote]

The X5 is for my wife. I'm looking at the M3 and 550i.

Quote:
I do not street race and most likely will track miminally (should take it the 'Ring while I am in Germany as it would be shame to miss the opportunity). The advantage of open motoring was worth the compromise in performance for us. Then again, it will own most of the locally driven diesels that the Germans embrace.
Yeah, we just got here in May but we will be hitting the Ring when my wife gets back from Kuwait. My SQ doesn't deploy for the most part so I'll have some time to get familiar with the car before we make that trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 05:40 AM   #16
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

If you want an M3 for performance, don't get the convertible, get the sedan or coupe. The vert really has too much weight (an extra 250kgs) and the flat torque curve of the V8 engine is much better suited to a lighter car. Only get the vert if you really must have an open top...

You test drove the best transmission in terms of performance, the manual has taller gearing from 3rd gear onwards so it will feel even slower...

And you really need to rev the engine to maximise the performance, this car is fast in gear from 80-160km/h but not so fast compared to others like the C63 from 80-120km/h...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #17
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I haven't searched yet so I'm sure I'm gonna get hammered for asking but where can I find some dyno charts?

You say the manual has shorter gearing in first and second so that might me best for me. I don't really drive fast, i just like to get up to Autobahn speed (130KPH) quickly. I usually won't spend any time over 160KPH. I'm thinking the manual might be mote in line with that driving style. I will also make a trip or two to The Ring but that'll be the extent of my track time most likely.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #18
kidney1
Giggity
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Vert

Dude, the pedal to the extreme right needs to be stepped on.

X5 is for soccer moms.
      08-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Oh for fuck's sake. Read before you post. The X5 is for my wife and the M WAS floored I just didn't run it redline. I'm going to try that Monday in an E90 and see how it goes. Sheesh...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #20
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
I think I'm weird but I don't usually beat the crap out of a tester so I didn't get much over 6K-6.5K. I'll try getting it a bit more.

I HAD to drive the E93, it's all they'll have until Monday and then the coupe E90 and E92 they're getting will be DCTs. I may take the E90 for a run since that's what I'm looking at anyway.

Ya know, I didn't even ask about that.

I agree and I would never do so. The point of my post was to find out if what I experienced was because of the tranny or the weight or something else and if I should expect a noticeable inprovement with the 6MT. I doubt I'll be able to test a manual before I order so I'll just have to beat the hell out of the DCT tester in the mean time.

What I'm thnking is itwas mostly the weight and me not getting on it too hard that were the main issues. I'll hammer on the next one and report back Monday evening (it'll be Monday morning for you guys).
Thanks guys!

Your GTI is probably as fast or faster than an M3 Convertible at lower speeds given its weight... It didn't help that you were missing ~100hp by not taking it to redline. Find a broken in sedan or coupe with over 2,000 km. Then you can get a real impression of how fast the car is... it's not amazing but it is quite adequate and a ton of fun to drive. The high-rev V8 is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

I didn't even think to check the mileage but I'm thinking since it's a tester for military sales that it is pretty well broken in.

Thanks for the info though. I didn't realize all the power was up top. I figured since it was a V8 that it would have more oomph down low. I will say that it was a GREAT drive anyway. Everything felt very solid and the suspension and grip are AMAZING.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

As others have said the M3 cab has a big weight penalty. After driving the E90 M3s (not to mention M5s and M6s) at the M school, I did notice a small difference in acceleration when getting back into my M3. But it is not as dramatic as one might guess.

I suspect you are mainly feeling the difference in power curve between a small displacement motor with big boost and high revving naturally aspirated V8. Plus, you didn't get to redline the car which makes a huge difference. I'll bet if you go test drive an E92 335i and E92 M3 back to back, while not going above 6k in the M3 as you did in your test drive of the E93, you'll have the exact same opinion (the M3 feels slow).
Appreciate 0