BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #1
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Yet another weird idle problem (help me out of the rabbit $$ hole)

Hello friends, I own a 2008 m3 6 speed 40k miles, and I have a peculiar idling issue Id like to address to you before beginning to throw big money with same results, so after searching and replacing the basic and cheap stuff first (new plugs, primary o2's, and fuel vacuum valve the problem persists.. Here's how it goes: I turn on the engine and it begins its cold start cycle, once it finishes it comes down to normal idling, 650 rpms, timing at +26 purring like a kitten.. After a minute more less of leaving it idling like this idle becomes rough, it goes up to 750 rpms, it pulls timing to 0 running pig rich, it would correct itslef again after a couple of minutes and it goes on and off like this.. If I step a little on the throttle it corrects itself entirely.. so where should I continue throwing money next? ICV? TAs? BTW no codes are shown on my scanner.. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 10:18 AM   #2
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

I don't think I can help, but mine [2012] has had a steady idle of around 754RPM, since day one. I've never seen it idles at 650RPM. Good luck though.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #3
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

It is actually 784 RPM @ idle.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Do some research on fuel breather valves and see if those symptoms match yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #5
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep

I changed that one man, located right below the plenum same result, my idle does not go up and down in an erratic way like most people say when theirs are failing, mine stays steady but rough.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 10:19 PM   #6
RocketyMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53 X5, E83 X3, E93 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E93  [10.00]
How do I say this...but what you are describing is normal.

There is an "idle routine" in order to keep the cats hot. This would make sense as the timing going to 0 degrees advanced would cause the engine to effectively work harder and thus create higher exhaust temperature. You "stepping on the throttle" effectively moves out of this idle routine--temporarily. I would imagine there is a "tune" that can effectively disable this feature.

If you were questioning the ignition system, I would've checked the ion-sensing panel in ISTA to VERIFY if your ignition was giving you problems. This is how I found a very persnickety coil that had very intermittent misfire problems--especially when cold.

Since you say you get no codes, I imagine your fuel trims are perfectly fine while driving n such, ya? Get the car up to temperature--oil at 210F or there-abouts. Do you notice the same symptoms with excessive idling? I'm guessing not as much.

Let us know what you find out!

R135
└┼┼┼
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:13 PM   #7
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for reply man, it makes sense, I would try to make the reading with the engine completely hot like you say and verify if this routine goes on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
How do I say this...but what you are describing is normal.

There is an "idle routine" in order to keep the cats hot. This would make sense as the timing going to 0 degrees advanced would cause the engine to effectively work harder and thus create higher exhaust temperature. You "stepping on the throttle" effectively moves out of this idle routine--temporarily. I would imagine there is a "tune" that can effectively disable this feature.

If you were questioning the ignition system, I would've checked the ion-sensing panel in ISTA to VERIFY if your ignition was giving you problems. This is how I found a very persnickety coil that had very intermittent misfire problems--especially when cold.

Since you say you get no codes, I imagine your fuel trims are perfectly fine while driving n such, ya? Get the car up to temperature--oil at 210F or there-abouts. Do you notice the same symptoms with excessive idling? I'm guessing not as much.

Let us know what you find out!
Appreciate 0