BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #45
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Too late it's happening
      07-21-2020, 06:51 AM   #46
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

When I was running a supercharger on my E36M3, I used a double pass aftermarket heat exchanger designed as an upgrade for a Ford Cobra. I think the core was about 8x18x2.5”. It helped but what helped more was putting twin fans on the back. Three would have been better. You need to get air through the core. Ducting and speed can do that, but when there is insufficient speed you need fans. The goal is to keep the water temp down so when you need the water volume to be a heat sink it has the capacity.

It is easier to use water/meth to take the heat out of the air than to add water volume and heat exchanging ability to take heat out of the air.

The boostchiller type devices to cool the heat exchanger water look interesting and would be something I would explore in addition to water/meth.
Appreciate 1
GabeS1180.00
      07-22-2020, 01:20 AM   #47
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
My next thought is cutting up the radiator support and mounting a near double capacity intercooler behind the kidneys In front of the AC condenser... I'll run the plumbing up and over where the ram air used to be with a direct shot to the ess coolant tank. My thought process is it'll leave the oil cooler unhindered by an intercooler which I believe is more important but slightly hinder the radiator cooling which is fan cooled anyway.... seems to be plenty of plastic back there that hinders the radiator cooling anyway which I know directs airflow but I believe the stock ess intercooler stifles the oil cooler.... it'll be a lot less plumbing too then the less than optimal ess intercooler... thoughts?
Might want to look at HGK Eurofighters bash bar set up since you are like me and down to hack up the front end and do what it really takes to get the performance you want.
      07-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #48
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

This is where I'm at with it right now. The intercooler I've got is about double capacity of ess and I've mounted the pump outlet virtually directly on the inlet for the IC. The IC output will come up and over where the RAM air vent used to be. I'll reinforce the top bumper mount and make the front mount IC lines out of aluminum.

The pump and intercooler bracket I've made out of scrap steel for now and is very rudimentary. I'll make a proper one when it's tested. Not the ideal pump placement for cooling I know but the benefit is short plumbing and getting to keep the Turner skid plate, I don't think much of ess's method to slap the pump in the lower felt corner but I do understand there's virtually no where else up front to put it.

I am losing a lot of shrouding on the front side of AC condenser and Radiator so I'll be interested to see if that affects radiator temperatures with out the factory designed air flow but the oil cooler is now left unblocked by an IC. I do have a rad temp gauge and am using a CSF rad and do88 oil cooler. If it doesn't work worst case scenario is it's cost me a radiator support and some time.

I also can make a sprinkler system out of the headlight washer plumbing if so desired

This is the IC I'm using https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...RoCUk8QAvD_BwE
Attached Images

M3R12168.50
      07-25-2020, 09:04 PM   #49
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Amazing man! I love it!
why not take off the whole bumper set up, and run a simple bash bar set up like I mentioned before to increase the air flow opening a shit ton that that the oem one blocks.
most race/track/drift cars do it because its soooo much lighter and gives up so much space also, and you cna weld thing bars onto it to create mounting points for any other necessities
Attached Images

Last edited by GabeS; 07-25-2020 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      07-25-2020, 11:03 PM   #50
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
The oem crash beam is carbon composite and only weighs 11.5lbs though.
      07-25-2020, 11:19 PM   #51
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

The bumper still has a ton of room, it should get plenty of air flow and it's sleeper installed. I'm gonna hopefully button it up tomorrow. Love the pump setup right there.. time will tell for cooling adequacy.. will post pics when its done
      07-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #52
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Thanks SAMM3Y! This thread just got good!
GabeS1180.00
      07-29-2020, 12:44 AM   #53
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Growing pains, this is where I'm at with it... again it's real ugly but I thought I'd bring y'all in on this journey if not for pure entertainment value. My idea for the top of the intercooler mount was to weld ears on the hood latch catch and notch the intercooler bracket so the catch clears, the IC is going to stand off from the PS cooler by about 1/4". I rubber mounted the bottom of it and plan on welding some brackets directly on top of the oil cooler for the rubber mounts.

There's no good mounting points on the factory radiator support as it's all plastic so for the top I think coming off the latch catch assembly is a simple and effective idea. I'll weld up the bottom brackets after it's tested and working before I go butchering the oil cooler and after I've made a proper 4 sided IC bracket but for now the V rubber mounts will suffice. I drilled the holes for the pump inlet and have decided to route the IC outlet below the passenger headlight to the reservoir.

If it's not a significant cooling improvement at the very least it leaves the bottom of the car clear for the brake ducting which has yet to be plumbed. I'm open to any suggestions but go easy 😂

The red IC bracket I made out of 1/8 steel for now and just painted it cuz I had some spray left and wanted to see what red looked like with the bumper on, it's not permanent. Once it's mocked and trimmed up it'll probably get all the steel done in black, I'm gonna stick with steel since it's strong and low profile, was considering 3/4" or 1" box aluminum, we'll see
Attached Images

05-08-2023, 03:46 AM   #54
PnwE92
Rep
Drives: E92 bmw me

Do you guys know where I could find an ESS intercooler for the supercharger that I have mine is a little bit beat up and I’m looking for a replacement. If ESS doesn’t sell it separately do you guys know anything else that would be compatible with it it’s for my e92M3. Also, if you guys know where to get some injectors, that would be a huge help.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 01:00 PM   #55
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnwE92 View Post
Do you guys know where I could find an ESS intercooler for the supercharger that I have mine is a little bit beat up and I’m looking for a replacement. If ESS doesn’t sell it separately do you guys know anything else that would be compatible with it it’s for my e92M3. Also, if you guys know where to get some injectors, that would be a huge help.
We can source the new heat exchanger kits and injectors as well. Feel free to send me a PM for details.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0