BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP Mineral White

Akrapovic Evolution exhaust question

Hello,
I am thinking of getting the Akrapovic Evo exhaust for my e92 M3. I have 2 questions that I have not been able to find an answer to in all the threads on this topic:

1. Will my car pass emission inspection in NY?
2. Will the exhaust void my CPO warranty?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #2
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

If you are just talking about the "slip-on", you're probably fine. If you swap x-pipes, I would expect your CPO to get revoked as soon as there is a problem, especially if your exhaust is indirectly related.

As far as inspections go with the state, YMMV. The Akra x-pipe comes with high flow cats, but some states can be picky about shit like that. Out here in California, a mom and pop smog shop would pass you, but a state referee would fail you no question.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
If you are just talking about the "slip-on", you're probably fine. If you swap x-pipes, I would expect your CPO to get revoked as soon as there is a problem, especially if your exhaust is indirectly related.

As far as inspections go with the state, YMMV. The Akra x-pipe comes with high flow cats, but some states can be picky about shit like that. Out here in California, a mom and pop smog shop would pass you, but a state referee would fail you no question.
I was looking at the full set, including the high flow cats x-pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Food for thought:

When I was racing my Mitsubishi it was still under warranty. It had plenty of parts on it that should have voided my warranty, including a tune that ran considerably more boost. The dealership I would take the car to like to support the community and would honor the warranty on modded cars.

So in short, I do believe that it's dealer discretion, but it might just be safer to error on the side of caution. You can also try calling anonymously and ask the service writer about it and see what they say. I'm going to guess that they, too, will error on the side of caution and just tell you over the phone that "modifying the car at all will void your warranty" just a CYA.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
It will likely fail emissions and void your warranty. Can you keep the stock exhaust and swap it out before emissions inspection and warranty work?
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Also an option. The exhaust can we swapped with simple hand tools.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:09 AM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedA View Post
Hello,
I am thinking of getting the Akrapovic Evo exhaust for my e92 M3. I have 2 questions that I have not been able to find an answer to in all the threads on this topic:

1. Will my car pass emission inspection in NY?
2. Will the exhaust void my CPO warranty?

Thanks in advance!
You will NOT pass emissions

NY is OBD emissions. The Akra Xpipe has relocated HFCs and O2 sensors and the E9X will throw a CEL every time

The DeleteR or a tune that 'removes the CEL' does nothing as readiness will never be set

You have two options, either you find a tuner which codes readiness into your car and run the Akra, highly illegal, or you get another xpipe that passes emissions and add the catback Akra

One Xpipe that has hfcs and passes emissions is the ESS one. I believe there's a second one that also passes.

Guess what I have in my garage waiting for install? The ESS HFC Xpipe
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

They cannot void your warranty wholesale for a modded exhaust. The loss of warranty coverage would be limited to things affected by the exhaust system. They will of course attempt to define that broadly, but if the weather stripping on your windshield is leaking, they are not going to be able to tell you to pound sand because of the Akra. And so on.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the responses! I will have to make a decision based on the inconvenience to keep swapping exhausts for the purpose of passing the state inspection.

Out of curiosity, has anyone run the ESS mid pipe (with HFC) and stock rear section exhaust. How does that change the sound of the exhaust during both light throttle and full throttle acceleration? Any issues with dronning?

Thank you all for your advices and comments!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I have the full HFC line. There is zero drone inside and the fullness of the sound is yet amazing. Great design.
Won't be answering your question since I also have the ESS muffler, but the sound is very sophisticated. More plain than stock at idle but not invasive, and at high rev you are suddenly in a Formula 1.
      03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhat View Post
I have the full HFC line. There is zero drone inside and the fullness of the sound is yet amazing. Great design.
Won't be answering your question since I also have the ESS muffler, but the sound is very sophisticated. More plain than stock at idle but not invasive, and at high rev you are suddenly in a Formula 1.
Do you have a video or a sound clip of your set up while driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a video or a sound clip of your set up while driving?
I don't have video or sound skills but I'll ask my son if he can come up with something in the next few weeks and let you know.
      03-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
TedA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhat View Post
I don't have video or sound skills but I'll ask my son if he can come up with something in the next few weeks and let you know.
Thank you!!! It sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Thank you all for the responses! I will have to make a decision based on the inconvenience to keep swapping exhausts for the purpose of passing the state inspection.

Out of curiosity, has anyone run the ESS mid pipe (with HFC) and stock rear section exhaust. How does that change the sound of the exhaust during both light throttle and full throttle acceleration? Any issues with dronning?

Thank you all for your advices and comments!
Yes I used to run the ESS hfc xpipe and stick rear section. The sound was a bit louder and the tone was a bit more raspy but it had zero bassiness to it at any rpm. Now I have the full akra evo and it's definitely louder, with a deep bass tone at lower rpm and begins to slight howl at 3500-4000 rpm and gets tinier and louder as the rpms increase to redline. I may try a combo with the ESS hfc xpipe and the akra rear section later on this spring/summer but not sure as I really like the sound the full akra evo makes and don't have to worry about emissions for another few years...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #15
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Here's mine:

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Here's mine:

I like that very much! Very good resonators. What are they?
      03-31-2016, 12:20 AM   #17
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

The ones that came in my catless M3 World.au exhaust.

Appreciate 0