BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #45
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
Upgrade it how? I don't know how you overcome the effect of having a larger H/E or oiler cooler blocking the flow of cool air? I remember reading threads about water temps going through the roof after upgrade the oil cooler. If I remember correctly it was the larger cooler blocking air flow to the radiator that generated the problem.
Yes and they were fixed by an aluminium radiator
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #46
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post

I love large air to air intercoolers. My previous STI with a large front mount intercooler and a GT30R turbo running 22lbs of boost never heat soaked. Even the best air to liquid intercoolers heat soak in traffic and especially after being parked for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #47
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelObsession View Post
I think it would benefit Active to update your website with better pictures on the product pages. I have looked at a lot of pictures and have never seen a good picture of your inter-cooler.

Agreed! They would also benefit from highlighting the lack of heat soak with their kit versus the air to liquid setups.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 10:02 PM   #48
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Agreed! They would also benefit from highlighting the lack of heat soak with their kit versus the air to liquid setups.
Should also note in that pic how much of the front clip is cut off. You cannot reverse it without a replacement front clip. An expensive and difficult part to replace. I love the air to air intercooler and love what AA does but its an important note to someone that hasn't been behind the bumper before.
      03-20-2016, 05:14 AM   #49
e90///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Should also note in that pic how much of the front clip is cut off. You cannot reverse it without a replacement front clip. An expensive and difficult part to replace. I love the air to air intercooler and love what AA does but its an important note to someone that hasn't been behind the bumper before.
are you guys saying that air to air in theory causes less heat soak than air to liquid? Or is this the general consensus on AA vs ESS kits from experience
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 06:46 AM   #50
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Should also note in that pic how much of the front clip is cut off. You cannot reverse it without a replacement front clip. An expensive and difficult part to replace.
I learned all about the cutting when installing my Evolve air/air S/C. You are correct that replacement isn't easy but it really is not THAT difficult and my friend and I did it in his garage. The part that is cut is the "Front Panel" BMW part #51647900810 and it is sells for $252.39 from Husker Parts. To me when considering the overall price of my supercharger system that was a fairly small percentage especially because my goal is to not have to replace it anyway.

While I have no proof whatsoever that air/air is better than air/water heat exchangers at least in theory it should be. It also looks really cool through the openings in the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 07:50 AM   #51
BNBM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90///M3 View Post
are you guys saying that air to air in theory causes less heat soak than air to liquid?
That's the idea. No water to heat up. But if you are looking to drag race/airstrips then air to water probably makes more sense. Especially if you add an ice tank.
Active Autowerke Gen 2 Level 2 SC / StopTech ST60/40 BBK
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #52
Weyne Masters
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: M3 LIME ROCK VT2-625

Pump For Ice Trunk Tank
Attached Images

Appreciate 0