BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-22-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
dferreira
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Lightbulb Single “Midpipe” rather than “x-pipe”

Hello everyone

I’ve been doing some digging lately on how to get a more refined high pitched v8 sound from our cars. I’ve seen Sal’s video of the double x pipe and it looks great: forward x for more power compared to the “regular” x location, and the forward x will probably counteract any losses that people have speculated from a double x design. But it made me think, “Why not just take it all the way?”

Rather than having the forward x, just have both test pipes join into a singular pipe that begins at the same location as the forward x, and then splits back off into two pipes at the rear so you can hook into the stock muffler format. You can add resonators and cats to play with the sound, and the decreased material and complexity would keep costs low.

Inspiration would be the sgt y pipe from the E46 M3 platform, or the VRSF midpipe on the F8x M3/4. When I added the sgt resonated y-pipe to my old E46M3 it eliminated the rasp, added bass down low, but gave it a rich wail up top that I’m confident would eliminate any “choppy” sounds the cross plane v8 is prone to.

Has anyone attempted this in the past? Is this something that company’s like Bimmerworld have tried in the past but abandoned in favour of the dual pipe design for some reason? Can any vendors chime in?

Attached is an example, one designed for our cars would be straight and have smoother transitions for better scavenging

Thanks for you time
Attached Images

Last edited by dferreira; 05-22-2023 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 05:16 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

several reasons, you would need one 3.5 Inch pipe to match the flow of two 2.5 inch pipes, with that comes the problem of space, you would probably need an oval pipe of some sort to clear the head shields for the drive shaft. its just not logical.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0