BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

BPM Sport Tune Stage 1, DCT Tune, and Servotronic Review

Whats up all. I want to say what a pleasure it's been to work with Mike Benvo and his team at BPM Sport. From the beginning when I'd ask him ridiculous questions about my car's startup to the just a few hours ago while he stayed on the phone via Bluetooth while I opened the car up to WOT, it was a fantastic process. Everything was on time and he and his staff were always accessible (I'm embarrased to say when I was installing the Navigation update, I didn't know we had an extra USB port in the glove box, and his staff sent me a photo of an M3 glovebox to point it out!)
I just had all of this done about 3 hours ago but here are my first thoughts...I'm going to preface this by saying that even though I love cars, I'm not very technically oriented (excuse the layman's descriptions)
1) Stage 1 Tune/DCT: Painless; I have an apple laptop so had to install the virtual PC softare to get the process started. It's a little more involved than PC; actually, Mike waited on my phone while i used the pollo tropical wifi signal to download. I felt obligated to get some chicken since I used their Wifi
-I noticed immediately on startup that the engine sounded a little meaner (I left cold start on), but the idle did not surge up as high as it typically did. It reached a steady level quicker than before. The car also took off a lot smoother without that lurchy feeling that I used to get while the car needed to warm up. (I'll have to test this out in the AM when its been sitting cold for several hours)
I personally like how the car starts in D mode and I can manually switch to S.
2) Servotronic: I LOVE the way the steering handles now. I'm a huge fan of a heavy steering and I never kept the steering on comfort (always sport), but sport feels so much tighter and more focused. This is a godsend.
Overall, very happy and look forward to spending more time with the car when I get off this night shift.
Thanks Mike

Last edited by Stallion150; 08-18-2014 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
RobertEvans
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

thanks for the review... I'm hoping to get the engine tune soon myself
      08-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertEvans View Post
thanks for the review... I'm hoping to get the engine tune soon myself
No problem. Will post updated thoughts as I spend some more time with the car. I feel like it was well worth it. I devised my package a little different: I didn't raise the top speed, raise the RPM, nor delete cold start, just so it would be a little more stealth at the dealership. Despite this, the car definitely feels different in a good way.
      08-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #4
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

What does the servotronic do to the steering? Does it give it more weight?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Indeed.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
VtecforV8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

From what I"ve read (and I think Benvo has a thread with graphs, etc. detailing this), servotronic tuning dials back the steering assist at a faster rate with the aim of maintaining some maneuverability in parking lots while giving you better, heavier feel at speed. Looking to go with BPM myself pretty soon (warranty is almost up) and am looking forward to this feature more than any other.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

I'm interested as well.
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red - 145k and Totaled. 2012 Toyota Prius C - 145k and Totaled. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked. 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totaled. 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

Ya can't go wrong with Mike, great tune, informative, excellent customer service too! My car is running strong for about 2months now.
      08-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePcone View Post
Correct. It might sound minor, but that this is one of my absolute favorite parts of the coding/tuning. Makes all the damn difference in the world IMO.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

I got test pipes from him. he was easy to work with. steering is a bit too heavy for me now but the car sounds sick. came accross to a e60 m5 at a red light, had a spirited drive. on the next set of lights he was stunned by the sound of the car.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
sello
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Bump for great product and great guy!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Drove the car another 50 miles. From what I understand, it will still take a bit of time for the car to adapt to the new tune, but damn does this thing pull!
I always felt that my stock M3 was "lazy" in its less aggressive settings...you really had to stomp on the pedal for it to feel alive. But now, even in D2, the car hauls ass! I can't imagine what the power button + sport plus would feel like

I cannot stop raving about the steering. That plus this new low end torque make me 100% happy with the car. Just a set of black wheels, illuminated ///M3 door sills, and maybe an Akra Evo w Stage II and I'll be done

This is the car happy after Mike's tune:
Attached Images

08-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
Awesome, im going to be getting the stage 2 tune soon!

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #14
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

How much did it cost please?
      08-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Great review. I'm looking to go this route next year. I'd definitely have to drive a car with the servotronic update to see if I like it or not before getting it. Good to hear you're happy and the extra power makes such a difference as most of this forum states.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
How much did it cost please?

Hey it's on the BPM sport website (I got the stage 1 + dct package), mike includes servotronic recalibration in the package.
      08-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
tony093
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Just got stage 2 tune from bpm last week. It feels like I'm driving a new car...thx Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #18
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Whats up all. I want to say what a pleasure it's been to work with Mike Benvo and his team at BPM Sport. From the beginning when I'd ask him ridiculous questions about my car's startup to the just a few hours ago while he stayed on the phone via Bluetooth while I opened the car up to WOT, it was a fantastic process. Everything was on time and he and his staff were always accessible (I'm embarrased to say when I was installing the Navigation update, I didn't know we had an extra USB port in the glove box, and his staff sent me a photo of an M3 glovebox to point it out!)
I just had all of this done about 3 hours ago but here are my first thoughts...I'm going to preface this by saying that even though I love cars, I'm not very technically oriented (excuse the layman's descriptions)
1) Stage 1 Tune/DCT: Painless; I have an apple laptop so had to install the virtual PC softare to get the process started. It's a little more involved than PC; actually, Mike waited on my phone while i used the pollo tropical wifi signal to download. I felt obligated to get some chicken since I used their Wifi
-I noticed immediately on startup that the engine sounded a little meaner (I left cold start on), but the idle did not surge up as high as it typically did. It reached a steady level quicker than before. The car also took off a lot smoother without that lurchy feeling that I used to get while the car needed to warm up. (I'll have to test this out in the AM when its been sitting cold for several hours)
2) Servotronic: I LOVE the way the steering handles now. I'm a huge fan of a heavy steering and I never kept the steering on comfort (always sport), but sport feels so much tighter and more focused. This is a godsend.
Overall, very happy and look forward to spending more time with the car when I get off this night shift.
Thanks Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Boy7 View Post
Ya can't go wrong with Mike, great tune, informative, excellent customer service too! My car is running strong for about 2months now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony093 View Post
Just got stage 2 tune from bpm last week. It feels like I'm driving a new car...thx Mike
Glad you guys are enjoying the new goodies!! Thanks for your business and let us know if we can be of any help in the future

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #20
ShortCkT101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallion150 View Post
Thanks Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Boy7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony093 View Post
Glad you guys are enjoying the new goodies!! Thanks for your business and let us know if we can be of any help in the future
Pm sent
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #21
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtecforV8 View Post
From what I"ve read (and I think Benvo has a thread with graphs, etc. detailing this), servotronic tuning dials back the steering assist at a faster rate with the aim of maintaining some maneuverability in parking lots while giving you better, heavier feel at speed. Looking to go with BPM myself pretty soon (warranty is almost up) and am looking forward to this feature more than any other.
This is the best mod I have done. Benvo's recalibration of the hydraulic steering in my 09 E90 M3 has not only reduced the overboosted assist, but somehow given me more feedback and feel. I have had this mod since last fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dinan intake, exhaust, differential, monoballs, toelinks, engine strut brace, underdrive pulley
M5 F10 shifter, Ohlin Road and Track suspension, BPM tune
Advan Neova AD08s, BMW M steering wheel, carbon fibre mirror covers
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
This is the best mod I have done. Benvo's recalibration of the hydraulic steering in my 09 E90 M3 has not only reduced the overboosted assist, but somehow given me more feedback and feel. I have had this mod since last fall.
Thanks guys!!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0