BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Shadow_Phantom12
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Performance Package

Georgia residents please give me advice!!!

Or anyone else that can help me. This is my issue:

After having spent the last 7+ years in Europe, I'm finally coming back to the states. I got the home shipping option with my car which unfortunately only takes it as far as one of the 5 ports BMW has in the states.

Long story short, my car is going to Brunswick, Georgia, but the Army will only pay for a flight to Atlanta. According to Google Maps, that's a whopping 4 hour and 47 minute drive!!! (Mind you, I'll be driving from Brunswick to Miami after that, and then Miami to Alabama). How the heck do I get there?!

Someone please suggest a decent mode of transportation that isn't overpriced (oh yeah, I'll also be lugging around 2 50+ pound bags, etc... so nothing that requires me to change buses, terminals, etc... excessively).
I know, it sounds like I'm being picky, but I just need to know the best way to get from Atlanta to Brunswick without using all my vacation time and money. Contact info would be highly appreciated also.

Thanks!!!
      04-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Phantom12 View Post
Or anyone else that can help me. This is my issue:

After having spent the last 7+ years in Europe, I'm finally coming back to the states. I got the home shipping option with my car which unfortunately only takes it as far as one of the 5 ports BMW has in the states.

Long story short, my car is going to Brunswick, Georgia, but the Army will only pay for a flight to Atlanta. According to Google Maps, that's a whopping 4 hour and 47 minute drive!!! (Mind you, I'll be driving from Brunswick to Miami after that, and then Miami to Alabama). How the heck do I get there?!

Someone please suggest a decent mode of transportation that isn't overpriced (oh yeah, I'll also be lugging around 2 50+ pound bags, etc... so nothing that requires me to change buses, terminals, etc... excessively).
I know, it sounds like I'm being picky, but I just need to know the best way to get from Atlanta to Brunswick without using all my vacation time and money. Contact info would be highly appreciated also.

Thanks!!!
You chose to ship it through BMW(Brunswick) as opposed to shipping through the military contracted shipping company(Atlanta).

Honestly, your best bet is probably renting a car. I had to do this for my 550i. The shipping yard where your car is and the location of the Hertz or whoever you choose to get a car from, is located about 10-15 miles apart which means you'll need a taxi from their "airport" to the docks to get your car.

I had to drive all over the place that day paying fees, getting paperwork notarized, I wish you luck because it's not going to be easy.
      04-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
jakksfor20
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

There are 3 Delta flights from ATL to SSI (10am,12pm,3pm) per day according to expedia for $74. I know you didn't want to swap terminals, but that is probably your best bet. You can make the drive in just over 4 hrs, but that requires renting a car for a one-way trip (waste 30 minutes just getting the car). Quick search revealed that a one-way can be more expensive than the flight.

Should see if there are any Brunswick members that are willing to run you around town for all the paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Shadow_Phantom12
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
You chose to ship it through BMW(Brunswick) as opposed to shipping through the military contracted shipping company(Atlanta).

Honestly, your best bet is probably renting a car. I had to do this for my 550i. The shipping yard where your car is and the location of the Hertz or whoever you choose to get a car from, is located about 10-15 miles apart which means you'll need a taxi from their "airport" to the docks to get your car.

I had to drive all over the place that day paying fees, getting paperwork notarized, I wish you luck because it's not going to be easy.
Well, I have another car that I'm using the military to ship (and it'll be the last thing I do before I final out. As far as all the paperwork goes, I've paid a separate company to handle the customs and paperwork for me. I'll never know until I get there though, so wish me luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakksfor20 View Post
There are 3 Delta flights from ATL to SSI (10am,12pm,3pm) per day according to expedia for $74. I know you didn't want to swap terminals, but that is probably your best bet. You can make the drive in just over 4 hrs, but that requires renting a car for a one-way trip (waste 30 minutes just getting the car). Quick search revealed that a one-way can be more expensive than the flight.

Should see if there are any Brunswick members that are willing to run you around town for all the paperwork.
Hmmm... This could be a viable option. I'll know in a few days the specifics on my flight and then I can proceed from there.

Thanks guys for the tips.
      04-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakksfor20 View Post

Much better idea than mine. The price for the taxi from the airport to the port is about $20.

The problem is that you're assuming all the paperwork is good to go and she doesn't need to have anything else taken care of. If she doesn't need anything else, then perfect. If not, then she'll be stuck in a taxi or will need the rental anyways.
      04-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I have another car that I'm using the military to ship (and it'll be the last thing I do before I final out. As far as all the paperwork goes, I've paid a separate company to handle the customs and paperwork for me. I'll never know until I get there though, so wish me luck!

Hmmm... This could be a viable option. I'll know in a few days the specifics on my flight and then I can proceed from there.

Thanks guys for the tips.
Wish you all the luck in the world. I thought I had all the paperwork taken care of until I got to Brunswick. Then it was a nightmare and barely got the car out of the port. They close at 4PM if I remember right.
      04-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Shadow_Phantom12
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Wish you all the luck in the world. I thought I had all the paperwork taken care of until I got to Brunswick. Then it was a nightmare and barely got the car out of the port. They close at 4PM if I remember right.
Do you remember what you needed? I'm struggling just trying to get orders to send to the port before they hit me with import fees.
The boat is scheduled to arrive on the 1st (if it doesn't get hijacked, LOL) and according to the people I paid to clear customs, it takes roughly 7 business days. The problem is that I can't get a hold of the boat info and the other people can't do/say anything until the car is physically in port.
Aaaannnddd, you know how the Army is; I'm getting ready to move (less than 1 week before they pick up my HHG) and will lose internet/phone connection, only to make things harder.
Oh well, I'm supposed to fly on the 13th (don't know the details yet, of course), and don't want to spend any more time than I really need in GA because I have a lot of things to accomplish in a short time in Miami before I report in to Rucker to begin school.
      04-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you remember what you needed? I'm struggling just trying to get orders to send to the port before they hit me with import fees.
The boat is scheduled to arrive on the 1st (if it doesn't get hijacked, LOL) and according to the people I paid to clear customs, it takes roughly 7 business days. The problem is that I can't get a hold of the boat info and the other people can't do/say anything until the car is physically in port.
Aaaannnddd, you know how the Army is; I'm getting ready to move (less than 1 week before they pick up my HHG) and will lose internet/phone connection, only to make things harder.
Oh well, I'm supposed to fly on the 13th (don't know the details yet, of course), and don't want to spend any more time than I really need in GA because I have a lot of things to accomplish in a short time in Miami before I report in to Rucker to begin school.
The 550i was bought brand new, never registered in Germany. Ordered it before I left there. The keys and paperwork were sent to me, but I still had to go through customs, then to the ship's main office and give them a certified check for $75(which the dealership in Bamberg failed to mention), papers had to be signed, stamped.

I can't really remember the specific paperwork that were added to the manila folder I took down, but it was such a headache. I highly suggest you call the Brunswick office and ask them EXACTLY what it is that you need.

Whats the name of the ship your car is on?
      04-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Shadow_Phantom12
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
The 550i was bought brand new, never registered in Germany. Ordered it before I left there. The keys and paperwork were sent to me, but I still had to go through customs, then to the ship's main office and give them a certified check for $75(which the dealership in Bamberg failed to mention), papers had to be signed, stamped.

I can't really remember the specific paperwork that were added to the manila folder I took down, but it was such a headache. I highly suggest you call the Brunswick office and ask them EXACTLY what it is that you need.

Whats the name of the ship your car is on?
I just called the customs clearing office in Brunswick and made the payment. They'll be sending me some paperwork via email for me to sign and send back. The person I spoke with said they'll manage everything for me so all I have to do is show the paperwork at the port to gain entrance and sign for the keys. We'll see.

I just found out that my car is on the "Independence II" and is on schedule. I'm trying to see about trucking it to Miami, but that creates a new set of problems altogether.
      04-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just called the customs clearing office in Brunswick and made the payment. They'll be sending me some paperwork via email for me to sign and send back. The person I spoke with said they'll manage everything for me so all I have to do is show the paperwork at the port to gain entrance and sign for the keys. We'll see.

I just found out that my car is on the "Independence II" and is on schedule. I'm trying to see about trucking it to Miami, but that creates a new set of problems altogether.
The drive from Brunswick to Miami should only be about five or six hours. May as well do that instead of creating more paperwork for yourself.

Good luck with all of this and have a great last few days there!