BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
dww
Rep
Drives: to be determined

Thinking hard about an M3 for my first BMW

Hello, I'm slowly making up my mind to order an M3, which would be my first BMW.

I just found these forums, and I'm already learning a ton. Just thought I'd say hello.

My favorite car that I've owned so far was a 1993 Mazda RX-7 (the twin-turbo rotary). I gave it up when I became a father 5 years ago and got a completely practical car (2006 Acura RL -- safe, comfortable, reliable, passionless...) instead. I desperately miss a full manual transmission, rear-wheel drive corner carver with a high-revving engine, and it seems the M3 sedan would suit both me and my family.

I'm sure I'll be posting again with plenty of questions after I digest more of what you've all already covered.

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
Hershey
CLU KINGSMEN
Rep
Drives: '66 Shelby GT 350

just do it.

i dove head first into the whole ///M thing with an E60 M5. after that I was hooked.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

I absolutely love my sedan. It's amazing to drive, luxurious, and pretty practical. You should know though, that it's still a 4 seater for all intents and purposes and gas mileage in the city is around 15. You'll certainly be compromising on the space and comfort of the Acura, but the driving experience will more than make it up for you (though not necessarily for the family!).

Last thing to note: the stick is a ton of fun because, well, it's a stick. But for better or worse, it's got serious personality. There are moments where it's clumsy as the syncros grind and shifts become really notchy; and others -- normally after some spirited driving to really warm her up -- where it can be like butter.

Keep us posted!
      01-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
I absolutely love my sedan. It's amazing to drive, luxurious, and pretty practical. You should know though, that it's still a 4 seater for all intents and purposes and gas mileage in the city is around 15. You'll certainly be compromising on the space and comfort of the Acura, but the driving experience will more than make it up for you (though not necessarily for the family!).

Last thing to note: the stick is a ton of fun because, well, it's a stick. But for better or worse, it's got serious personality. There are moments where it's clumsy as the syncros grind and shifts become really notchy; and others -- normally after some spirited driving to really warm her up -- where it can be like butter.

Keep us posted!
^ Least biased 6MT post I've ever read.

dww - I spent the bet part of a year convincing myself I was actually considering buying something else (S4, C63, XFR) in the end I was able to place the order for the one I really wanted.

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
You won't regreted. My first BMW is the M3. I always wanted an M3, just couldn't afford one. When the '08 came out, I knew I had to get one. So waited a year and went to the dealership and ordered the car. One of the best thing I've ever done.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Get 'er done brosef! I'm waiting on my first M (and BMW) as we speak! If you order, just know that the wait will TEST you...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Go for it. The sedan is fantastic with plenty of room for the family.
If you enjoy a manual, get the manual.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
dww
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
Kobaiyashi, thanks for sharing this! How much of an impact is the shifting clumsiness? Can it cause you to miss shifts? Is it predictable (perhaps related to shifting at certain engine speeds between certain gears)? Does it happen only when downshifting? Is it specific to the M3 or is it something in common with other 3-series or all BMWs? What does BMW have to say about it?

The only manual cars I've owned (two RX-7s) had buttery shifting. After I severely sprained my left ankle, I discovered the clutch was pretty much optional except to start the car.

I may very well decide to be happy that a manual transmission is still offered at all, but this is surprising to me -- thanks again for disclosing it.

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
dww
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
dww - I spent the bet part of a year convincing myself I was actually considering buying something else (S4, C63, XFR) in the end I was able to place the order for the one I really wanted.
Congratulations on ordering! My decision isn't so much between the M3 or another car, but on simply parting with the money for a car in this price range. There's no way I can rationally justify it, but my resistance is fading fast.

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
dww
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
Get 'er done brosef! I'm waiting on my first M (and BMW) as we speak! If you order, just know that the wait will TEST you...
Congrats on ordering! Looks like you're most of the way there...

The dealer near me keeps M3s in stock, but I can't imagine not ordering it exactly the way I want (which is, not test driven by other people) instead.

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^its def a tough choice to make it is a large sum of money however for the amount of car you get and the fun you will have for the money it def worth it IMO, but its easy for me to say bc im biased haha. Whatever you decide im sure you will do whats right for you. GL.

p.s. if you hangout long enough on this forum I can promise you that you will pull the trigger so beware haha

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
Kobaiyashi, thanks for sharing this! How much of an impact is the shifting clumsiness? Can it cause you to miss shifts? Is it predictable (perhaps related to shifting at certain engine speeds between certain gears)? Does it happen only when downshifting? Is it specific to the M3 or is it something in common with other 3-series or all BMWs? What does BMW have to say about it?

The only manual cars I've owned (two RX-7s) had buttery shifting. After I severely sprained my left ankle, I discovered the clutch was pretty much optional except to start the car.

I may very well decide to be happy that a manual transmission is still offered at all, but this is surprising to me -- thanks again for disclosing it.

- dww
I don't think the manual is anything to be concerned about, and as Kobaiyashi pointed out, once warmed up can be a buttery smooth proposition. I drove a friends '93 RX7 but it was so long ago now (~'97) I can't remember the feel of the transmission. Many people on here will wax poetic about the capabilities of the 6MT, and you won't dig up too many complaints from any of the automotive journalists either. Consensus seems to be that it is very functional rewarding transmission, that doesn't quite manage the rifle bolt feel of the S2000, or the Porsche boxes.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
My decision isn't so much between the M3 or another car, but on simply parting with the money for a car in this price range.
- dww
I know how you feel but the kicker for me was that this might be your last chance to buy a truly great naturally aspirated motor. Everything seems to be going to small displacement turbos and the high-revving V8 is just wonderful. By contrast the 335 is plenty fast eventually but the lag is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

simple answer get one..
get the best; do it once do it right.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

Once you go M, forget the rest of them [other brands]
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
dww
Rep

Quote:
Consensus seems to be that it is very functional rewarding transmission, that doesn't quite manage the rifle bolt feel of the S2000, or the Porsche boxes.
Thanks -- that's reassuring!

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
dww
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
I know how you feel but the kicker for me was that this might be your last chance to buy a truly great naturally aspirated motor. Everything seems to be going to small displacement turbos and the high-revving V8 is just wonderful. By contrast the 335 is plenty fast eventually but the lag is annoying.
Exactly -- the disappearing engine, manual transmission, and 2wd choices (industry-wide, not particularly with BMW) are pressuring me to act soon!

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #18
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
p.s. if you hangout long enough on this forum I can promise you that you will pull the trigger so beware haha
amen to that...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on ordering! Looks like you're most of the way there...

The dealer near me keeps M3s in stock, but I can't imagine not ordering it exactly the way I want (which is, not test driven by other people) instead.

- dww
yeah...the dealers around here have them in stock too. but i've been on test drives where they go WOT as soon as they turn out of the dealership lot. no way i'd buy one of those.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Rydawg1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Don't do what I did, I went from 330, to 335i to finally an M3. Save yourself the hassle, just get the M and enjoy, you'll be glad you did!
mods to come...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #21
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post

GOLFFRR is right! Save yourself $15k, delete your M3POst.com user account, slowly step away from the computer, and test drive an S4. It is a fabulous car, just keep the M3 out of your mind, or your defences will be compromised and you will join the masses counting down to M-day.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
GOLFFRR is right! Save yourself $15k, delete your M3POst.com user account, slowly step away from the computer, and test drive an S4. It is a fabulous car, just keep the M3 out of your mind, or your defences will be compromised and you will join the masses counting down to M-day.
Except that if you want, say, seat memory, you're into the Prestige model, and you'll want the dynamic damper control because otherwise it's just too soft, and then you're almost up to the cost of a ED M3 from GOLFRR anyway, and that stupid electronic parking brake nonsense makes changing the rear brake pads on an S4 a PITA, and.... you end up ordering an M3 anyway :-)
Appreciate 0