BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #23
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
GOLFFRR is right! Save yourself $15k, delete your M3POst.com user account, slowly step away from the computer, and test drive an S4. It is a fabulous car, just keep the M3 out of your mind, or your defences will be compromised and you will join the masses counting down to M-day.
Except that if you want, say, seat memory, you're into the Prestige model, and you'll want the dynamic damper control because otherwise it's just too soft, and then you're almost up to the cost of a ED M3 from GOLFRR anyway, and that stupid electronic parking brake nonsense makes changing the rear brake pads on an S4 a PITA, and.... you end up ordering an M3 anyway :-)
Of course I'm thinking Canadian, a loaded Canadian S4 is about $70k, a similarly equipped Canadian M3 is about $85k.
Canadian ED MSRP is = Canadian MSRP (no discount).

So jealous of you guys South of the border.

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #24
UNNATRAL
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
Hello, I'm slowly making up my mind to order an M3, which would be my first BMW.

I just found these forums, and I'm already learning a ton. Just thought I'd say hello.

My favorite car that I've owned so far was a 1993 Mazda RX-7 (the twin-turbo rotary). I gave it up when I became a father 5 years ago and got a completely practical car (2006 Acura RL -- safe, comfortable, reliable, passionless...) instead. I desperately miss a full manual transmission, rear-wheel drive corner carver with a high-revving engine, and it seems the M3 sedan would suit both me and my family.

I'm sure I'll be posting again with plenty of questions after I digest more of what you've all already covered.

- dww
Get an M3. you wont regret it paps
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #25
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Besides the cost of ownership, the M3 is no less livable or practical than the other 3-series counterparts, if that's what you're concern is. Doooo eeeeeet!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
GOLFFRR is right! Save yourself $15k, delete your M3POst.com user account, slowly step away from the computer, and test drive an S4. It is a fabulous car, just keep the M3 out of your mind, or your defences will be compromised and you will join the masses counting down to M-day.
I'd like to think NS2000x was just being funny and sarcastic.

No one is making any reputable point that an S4 is better in any way. Check the myriad of comparisons by the professionals.

Furthermore, there are no M3 "masses." It is a premium performance car that only the most discerning drivers acquire as a fantastically well-balanced daily driver and track demon.

I too, went the way of getting the new 335i before going to the new M3. It was a big waste of time and money. Knowing what I know now... I would have just taken the leap directly to the M3 E90.

I just had no idea how much better of a car it was than the previous E46.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Quote:
I'd like to think NS2000x was just being funny and sarcastic.

No one is making any reputable point that an S4 is better in any way. Check the myriad of comparisons by the professionals.

Furthermore, there are no M3 "masses." It is a premium performance car that only the most discerning drivers acquire as a fantastically well-balanced daily driver and track demon.

I too, went the way of getting the new 335i before going to the new M3. It was a big waste of time and money. Knowing what I know now... I would have just taken the leap directly to the M3 E90.

I just had no idea how much better of a car it was than the previous E46.
My poor humor.

We all suspect dww will leave here with a positive impression of the M3 and an even greater itch to buy one!

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox | '17 BMW i3 BEV Protonic - Dalbergia
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Are you considering Euro Delivery? It's got to be the best way to purchase a new BMW bar none...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #29
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
Kobaiyashi, thanks for sharing this! How much of an impact is the shifting clumsiness? Can it cause you to miss shifts? Is it predictable (perhaps related to shifting at certain engine speeds between certain gears)? Does it happen only when downshifting? Is it specific to the M3 or is it something in common with other 3-series or all BMWs? What does BMW have to say about it?

The only manual cars I've owned (two RX-7s) had buttery shifting. After I severely sprained my left ankle, I discovered the clutch was pretty much optional except to start the car.

I may very well decide to be happy that a manual transmission is still offered at all, but this is surprising to me -- thanks again for disclosing it.

- dww

How much of an impact is the shifting clumsiness?
Certainly won't cause you to miss shifts. Until the transmission is really warmed up -- which, again, I find takes either a nice warm day or some aggressive driving -- you'll have to be a bit more cautious shifting form 1st to 2nd. You'll also want to be quite sure to depress the clutch a fair amount more than you would when shifting between any other gears. But really, these are relativly minor things and there's not much else I find myself doing in terms of adjustment.

Is it predictable (perhaps related to shifting at certain engine speeds between certain gears)?
Great question. The answer is yes, once you get used to the car and the quirks of the 6MT, I think you'll find you've learned how avoid most of the annoying things and, also, how to get the most of the transmission.

Does it happen only when downshifting?
No, it does not seem connected with either up or down shifting. Again, my main issue is with 1st to 2nd, and to a much, much lesser extent, 2nd to 3rd.

Is it specific to the M3 or is it something in common with other 3-series or all BMWs?
I'm unsure. From what I recall reading, the notchy stick's are common amoung M cars. Unlike the one 911 stick I've driven, which was super narrow and slick, these feel much more -- for lack of a better word -- brawny.

What does BMW have to say about it?
There are a few threads on this, but it seems that every dealership says the same thing -- it's normal.

All that being said, and I've thought about this a lot, I'm almost certain I'd pick the 6MT again. The DCT box is really amazing and will certainly entertain, but I still think its main advantage is on the track where it's ease and quickness would likley make me a faster driver instantly.

On the other hand, while working with the stick makes me slower than I'd be otherwise -- a function of my skill level, not the ability of the 6MT to work with the car -- I really gain a lot of enjoyment from the extra level of involvment and the process of getting better and better at rowing the gears. That's why for day to day driving, nothing makes me happier than driving a stick.
      01-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
dww
Rep
Drives: to be determined

Kobaiyashi, thanks for your detailed answers! The 6MT (I'm learning the jargon...) sounds entirely livable. I've been missing a stick every day for 5 years now, so it'd take a lot more than the transmission needing to warm up (and .5 seconds 0-60) for me to pass it up.

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Kobaiyashi, thanks for sharing this! How much of an impact is the shifting clumsiness? Can it cause you to miss shifts? Is it predictable (perhaps related to shifting at certain engine speeds between certain gears)? Does it happen only when downshifting? Is it specific to the M3 or is it something in common with other 3-series or all BMWs? What does BMW have to say about it?

The only manual cars I've owned (two RX-7s) had buttery shifting. After I severely sprained my left ankle, I discovered the clutch was pretty much optional except to start the car.

I may very well decide to be happy that a manual transmission is still offered at all, but this is surprising to me -- thanks again for disclosing it.

- dww
Heh, I discovered that when, while driving thru middle of nowhere in Sedona, AZ over a holiday weekend years ago, the clutch pedal/arm in my Audi 4000 snapped in half. Turns out, you can still shift gears, up & down, without pressing the clutch. Drove back home to LA & had the arm welded on Monday morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
How much of an impact is the shifting clumsiness?
Certainly won't cause you to miss shifts. Until the transmission is really warmed up -- which, again, I find takes either a nice warm day or some aggressive driving -- you'll have to be a bit more cautious shifting form 1st to 2nd. You'll also want to be quite sure to depress the clutch a fair amount more than you would when shifting between any other gears. But really, these are relativly minor things and there's not much else I find myself doing in terms of adjustment.

Is it predictable (perhaps related to shifting at certain engine speeds between certain gears)?
Great question. The answer is yes, once you get used to the car and the quirks of the 6MT, I think you'll find you've learned how avoid most of the annoying things and, also, how to get the most of the transmission.

Does it happen only when downshifting?
No, it does not seem connected with either up or down shifting. Again, my main issue is with 1st to 2nd, and to a much, much lesser extent, 2nd to 3rd.

Is it specific to the M3 or is it something in common with other 3-series or all BMWs?
I'm unsure. From what I recall reading, the notchy stick's are common amoung M cars. Unlike the one 911 stick I've driven, which was super narrow and slick, these feel much more -- for lack of a better word -- brawny.

What does BMW have to say about it?
There are a few threads on this, but it seems that every dealership says the same thing -- it's normal.

All that being said, and I've thought about this a lot, I'm almost certain I'd pick the 6MT again. The DCT box is really amazing and will certainly entertain, but I still think its main advantage is on the track where it's ease and quickness would likley make me a faster driver instantly.

On the other hand, while working with the stick makes me slower than I'd be otherwise -- a function of my skill level, not the ability of the 6MT to work with the car -- I really gain a lot of enjoyment from the extra level of involvment and the process of getting better and better at rowing the gears. That's why for day to day driving, nothing makes me happier than driving a stick.
Yeah, majority, if not all, 6MT shift complaints has been on 1st-to-2nd shifts.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #32
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

BTW, what part of town? I have an E90 M3 with 6MT and my 7 YO twin daughters love it. In other words, the familay factor is met but the fun factor is still there.

If you would like to take it for a drive to get a better feel and without the sales person hanging over you, just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #33
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
Kobaiyashi, thanks for your detailed answers! The 6MT (I'm learning the jargon...) sounds entirely livable. I've been missing a stick every day for 5 years now, so it'd take a lot more than the transmission needing to warm up (and .5 seconds 0-60) for me to pass it up.

- dww
No problem; glad to help!
      01-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #34
rapyoke
///M POWER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 6MT M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
BTW, what part of town? I have an E90 M3 with 6MT and my 7 YO twin daughters love it. In other words, the familay factor is met but the fun factor is still there.

If you would like to take it for a drive to get a better feel and without the sales person hanging over you, just let me know.
There are two things you never loan out, your wife, and your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #35
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapyoke View Post
There are two things you never loan out, your wife, and your car.
I understand but evaluation of the potential driver, car only, is performed upon meeting.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #36
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Hi

I went to look for 4 door black DTC (practical and under cover), and ended up with a white manual coupe.

The kids 5 and 8 love it! and no longer have to talk up my grey 335d sedan (which was excellent)

Go for it!

Stu
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #37
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Anyone had luck with changing the fluid?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #38
dww
Rep
Drives: to be determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post

scalbert, I'm in East Cobb, so not too far away. Thank you for the incredibly generous offer. I haven't driven a manual in several years, so I wouldn't feel comfortable readjusting at the cost of your transmission. But it'd be great to hang out and take a ride.

My 5 year-old daughter isn't sold on the M3 yet (she wants me to go look at Audis again) -- it's amazing how much influence 7 year-old girls have on a 5-year old...

Thanks again!

- dww
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #39
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
scalbert, I'm in East Cobb, so not too far away. Thank you for the incredibly generous offer. I haven't driven a manual in several years, so I wouldn't feel comfortable readjusting at the cost of your transmission. But it'd be great to hang out and take a ride.

My 5 year-old daughter isn't sold on the M3 yet (she wants me to go look at Audis again) -- it's amazing how much influence 7 year-old girls have on a 5-year old...

Thanks again!

- dww
Sorry for the delay in response, out in Arizona right now but flying back tomorrow aftrenoon.

I certainly understand being hesitant and appreciate it. But I am not too worried. Regardless or a ride or drive, I am open. Just let me know if you want to go for a ride and I can even bring my two little influencers along to help you with your little resistance.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #40
M3RMA
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Go M, and you will smile for days on end..
Appreciate 0