BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

US spec e91 M3 durability in middle east/Gulf Countries/Heat?

Hello all,

I am new to this post and in the process of ordering a 2012 M3, and since i am working currently in the middle east Gulf Countries where temperature is about 120 F degrees or 45-50 C from April-October, and i am not sure when I will return to the States, and at the same time I don't want to miss out on ordering and driving an M3 before the current V8 models runs out, I was thinking on ordering a US spec M3 from Germany, driving it here for the time I am here and then shipping it back with me when i go back to the states.

-I am concerned on how will the US spec M3 will handle the extreme heat and conditions in the gulf area? Are Us spec M3s different than say to European or even GCC/Gulf M3s/BMWs? I know in the states M3s are the same whether you buy one in Alaska, or hot Texas, Arizona, or Nevada, etc, where temperature reaches well over 100 f during the summer.

-So before i order, I just want to know if there are any notable difference with the radiator/cooling/etc. system? Will I be Ok, or will I get myself into more headaches once the car gets here?

-If i buy a local M3, they are usually 20-30% more expensive than ordering a US spec, and also I can't take it back with me when i go back, and will have to sell it.

Thanks much for any help or insight.
franc
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

there is no such thing is E91 M3 since E91 is a wagon. =)

I don't think BMW makes any different for middle east in terms of any mechanical things but you may not be able to get a warranty service since US Spec M3s are warranted through BMW NA (North America).

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

The cars are heat tested in Death Valley (around 110-120F), so I think you should be fine. Here's a thread about it:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=529322

Also, this thread might be of interest:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585473

Last edited by Foodle; 09-15-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

E91? M3 you sure about that...
      09-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the replies. I meant e92 sorry!
thanks for the assurances about being able to handle the extreme heat.too. and thanks for the links foodle, those helped.

i am planning to buy the car thru a Military sales dealer, and they have a relationship with the dealer here in country., where they will ship it to the local dealer, clear customs, etc, and have it ready for me to pick up.

Up front, he told me even though it;s a US spec car and, it;s only covered by a 2 year BMW international warranty here in country, and I will have to pay for all service and maintenance or repairs not covered by the international warranty out of my pocket. I guess I understand this part.

I also asked him about the ridiculous amount I have to pay to open a file, and he said dealers in the middle east do that to discourage people bringing cars from out of country and importing their own cars, etc.

HOWEVER, he told me that since his Military sales dealership has a contract/affiliation with the local dealer here in country, and that dealer will be the ones actually importing the car in country for me under their inventory, then they will not consider the car as a "gray" import, and therefore WILL not charge me anything to open a file to service or repair the car.

That sounds logical to me, what you guys think? anything doesn't make sense? Should I have them put it in writing other than the e-mails between me and him, or should be sufficient? thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
That sounds logical to me, what you guys think? anything doesn't make sense? Should I have them put it in writing other than the e-mails between me and him, or should be sufficient? thanks again.
I would suggest getting in writing from the local dealer who would be doing the servicing (signed by their general manager) that they will honor the warranty and not charge you any extra fees.

Sounds like a good deal you are getting
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks good idea. i will look into paying that dealership a visit before i proceed with the order.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

They should cover everything under warranty in the 2 year period. Speak to the US military sales person.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

the military person and the guy at the dealer which i went and saw today said the same thing

-two years international warranty only when the car is outside the US and here in the gulf countries
-when i take the care back the US, the 4 year warranty and service coverage picks up again or is valid again.

-Here in the dealer, They would only cover the first 1200 service/oil change on the M cars. After that, any oil change, gear change, etc, etc. or other service, I would be responsible for and out of my pocket.

-I think all GGC imported cars don;t even get free service which is crazy! they have to pay for their own oil change, pads, etc fromt he get go?! Whereas back in the States, those things are covered for 4 years! God bless America indeed.

-When I went to talk to their service manager today, initially the conversation was tense because as soon as I mentioned a US spec car, he quickly mentioned that these cars might not be compatible with GCC specs, etc. overheat issues, etc. I was kinda pissed of with his response an asked him to provide any documentation or specs on this, and that;s when he toned it down a little, and he told me when I have the Vin #, to give it to him, and he will compare it in the system with other GCC M3s. I think that's silly because the right way is look up the comparison right away, rather than order the car and then see what's the difference?! He later toned it down even more and said I shouldn't have an issue really, but based on history, he didn't get any notable issues in the past. I need to go back and talk to the general manager and make sure everything sounds kosher before i order.

I am itching for an M3 and would like one shippde here in the gulf but i know service over here is not the best and i can wait until I go back stateside, but I know if not in the next 9 months or so, then I can't order a new one and will have to be used v8, which is still not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Ask the guys on the forum that have one in Saudi, Kuwait, Qatar & Dubai. They are the SME's. I've been there & my advice is to save your $ until you get back Stateside. M3's nice, but it's not all that -
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

but i am bored and need a an M toy to keep me occupied lol
but with that come more headaches; speeding tickets, maintenance, service, time, money, attention, being over protective of the car, etc, etc,
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc View Post
but i am bored and need a an M toy to keep me occupied lol
but with that come more headaches; speeding tickets, maintenance, service, time, money, attention, being over protective of the car, etc, etc,
True enough - Hate having to worry about where I park it, following trucks, etc. I know the driving in the Middle East is an experience. Remember the burnt out hulks on the shoulders. I probalble still hold the record between Ali Al Salam & Arifjan.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

The US spec M3 and Gulf M3's don't have any difference in cooling etc. as far as I know. It sounds like you are in Bahrain? I will be returning my M3 to Bahrain next year and I am not worried about the heat. From past experience with cars in summer in the Gulf, just don't go WOT or drive aggressively during the day in hot summer months because thats when the car overheats and problems occur.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

lol thanks for weighing in guys and more assurances that the USspec M3 are not too different than the Middle east versions..although talking to the dealer here in Kuwait, he said they don;t bring 6 speeds over here,,only DCTs...i asked why, and he said thats how the specs for the middle east are?! not sure if he was 100% accurate,,but doesn't matter with me because i would be ordering a 6 speed thru MSP..

. i am in Kuwait, and u made me laugh about ali and arifjan lol. i work on arifjan.this would probably be mainly a weekend car for me, and not looking into driving it daily, at least not in the middle east...at least that's the plan..thnxs
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Bro it'll be fine! go ahead or if u wana wait order it through US military sales while your there and let them deliver it u states side when you return. You can do that a few weeks before u return to the States.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #16
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Plenty of ppl that I know buy US spec cars and bring them over. None of them had problems related to them being not "compatible".

My car is a six speed and it is a GCC ordered car, as is a couple that I have personally seen so no credence to what the the dealer in Kuwait has told you. Only reason that they order DCT is that they don't want to get stuck with a 6speed car that is hard to move.

Order the car and enjoy it!
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

ok thanks again for the candid feedback guys. khalid what color is your m3? any exterior or interior colors i should stay away from under the hot gulf sun and harsh weather?! i know it personal choice after all..but just to get a feeling...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Get any Color except for Black in Kuwait. The dust and sand there is unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #19
Titanium Silver
Four Star General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

E91?

I would get something with cooled/ventilated seats for sure. My back gets all hot when I drive around and it's only 85 degrees outside. Ventilated seats are key when the temp is well over 100 degrees outside.

Obviously you shouldn't get a vehicle just because it has cooled seats, but 120 + degrees is crazy hot. The ///M will perform fine in these conditions, but comfort is another story.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
E30 M3 | Alpine White | Mostly OEM
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

i was told at the factory that there are extra strong air conditioning and heating units for vehicles intended for extreme climate. he didn't mention anything about engine cooling though. I think you will be fine except the AC won't work quite as well as domestic BMW's.
hopefully you aren't considering a black/black car ;-)
      09-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #21
BMW//M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Convertible

Yea, don't get a black M3. Best colors for the heat are the space gray and Alpine White with the silver interior. Make sure you get the car tinted as well because as all factory BMW's go, it'll get really bright inside. I really do wish the current generation M3's had ventilated seats though like the E60 M5's... Good luck and I'm sure the car would be fine in the heat as long as you're not constantly red-lining and exhausting the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

ok thanks guys for your input again. ventilated seats are nice, but too bad they are not offered..still haven;t made up my mind as far as color...so confusing, since they don;t have too many m3s where i am at and i am forced just to go with internet pictures..
but on my short list are:

Mineral white/FR
AW/FR
SG/FR
IBlue/Silver or IB/FR or IB/black or Bamboo
LBlue/Silver or LB/FR or LB/Black or bamboo

i guess i didn't leave any colors out ha! you can see why i am confused!
Appreciate 0