BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #133
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
I think DCT may be on it's way to SMG failure levels...

AMG? Yes, i think so.

There have been many 6MT problems on the forums as well. These forums are a small fraction of the BMW drivers out there. You can't use chatter on here to make calls about BMW's reliability. We are enthusiasts, we are a tad more neurotic about things.

MB (AMG) ...go for it. They have the same types of problems.
      07-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #134
BarcaM3
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 LM Blu, Tech, Prem, 19"

I also had the "Transmission Malfunction" warning happen this past weekend. Lost all the odd gears and R. Took it to the dealer and they had no clue what to do, never seen it before. They sent the error codes to BMWNA for help, the dealer was told to reprogram and that didn't work, now they are going to replace the clutch pump, its on order.

Will post again if that does or doesn't fix this issue.....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #135
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Just got the same error driving home under normal acceleration. Lost all 1,3,5 and 7. Didn't try reverse. Limped home with 2,4 and 6. Restarted car in the garage and appears to be working for now. I only drove it around the local area at low speeds.

On similar note I have been getting some lag when shifting. More like a granny shift really. I suspect this may be due to software. But I can't help but wonder if the 2 are somehow related.

Anyway, M3 will be at the dealer Friday so maybe they will shed some light on my situation...

I have a 2009 with 40,500 miles.
      08-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #136
atyps
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Jet Black

another one

I just got the transmission failure alert this afternoon after coming out of home depot. Car was in "P" and could not change gear. I have a 2011 E92 M3 DCT built date june 2010. About 15k miles. Never had a problem before.

Restarted my car multiple times with no luck. Opened the hood and waited for about 15 min and started up again w/ the alert gone.

Taking to dealership tomorrow to check.

Ironically when all this was happening some random guy at the home depot lot was telling me how nice my car is while I had the WTF face trying to figure out what the hell was wrong w/ the car.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #137
atyps
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Jet Black

dealership doesn't know what the cause of the problem was. they think it might have to do w/ my aftermarket sub/amp messing up the electronic of the car... was given the same recommendation of taking the car back home and bringing it back if problem comes up again...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #138
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Dealership was also worthless for me. I'm not even sure if they updated any of the software.

They basically said they can't reproduce anything and sent me back home with it. I was stuck with their loaner car for like 4 days while my m3 sat in line to get serviced. I have never been so happy to get my car back.
      09-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #139
///Madhatter
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 AW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK
Quote:

AMG? Yes, i think so.

There have been many 6MT problems on the forums as well. These forums are a small fraction of the BMW drivers out there. You can't use chatter on here to make calls about BMW's reliability. We are enthusiasts, we are a tad more neurotic about things.

MB (AMG) ...go for it. They have the same types of problems.
+1
      09-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #140
av2
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Quote:

AMG? Yes, i think so.
Purchased a brand new C32 AMG in 02' and replaced the supercharger at 10k miles. Car was running on limp mode occasionally because intercooler pump was failing, AC vent servo went out twice at $600 per incident. Thrust bearings went out and the electric seats module was faulty and was draining the battery. Had the battery replaced twice and many days when the car just wouldn't start.

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #141
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
This is why BMWs are meant for leasing and not owning.
Or owning and trading/selling every 4 yrs...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #142
TravMac
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92

Mine has given the code several times now. I have no idea what to do. Im at 43,000.
I'm not under warranty because I imported it from the states. FML.

I'm hoping it's just software, or the touch point on the clutch needs to be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #143
TravMac
Rep

Sent it in, they said the report told them to 'Replace Clutch'.

See the main part of the report below:
(Seems to be a leak, which means it might be something very simple, but the dealer probably won't do 'simple', lol.)

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #144
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Same problem

First time poster - found this thread on google. I've had my M3 for 3 years now (22k miles) without a single problem. It also happens to be the first non manual car I have ever owned (my e46 was stick). Yesterday I lost all odd gears on my way home and had BMW assist flatbed it in to the dealership. My SA told me BMW's procedure stated that they had to duplicate the fault (Everything worked again by the morning) before they could proceed. They successfully duplicated the fault after 10 minutes of driving. BMW procedure now states (apparently) that they clear the error messages, test drive the car again and ask me to take the car back and call them immediately if the test clears out. I did so and lost all odd gears again near the dealership. I took it back in. Apparently on 'strike three' BMW now escalates this to a puma case (BMWNA level), keeps my car and provides me with a loaner.

Given so many of you have had the same issue, any idea what to expect now? If they rebuild/replace the gearbox can I ask for a free extended warranty? I do not want to have them push a 'reprogram'/'rebuild' solution and have the same thing happen to me after I roll off warranty. Who do I ask - BMWNA (whom to contact) or the dealership?

I've been very happy with my M3 but BMW are on test here as far as I am concerned. A satisfactory resolution of this issue without forcing me into buying an extended warranty for peace of mind will guarantee I buy the next M3/4. Any sub optimal solutions will almost certainly cause me to sell the car as soon as they say it is 'fixed' and look at alternatives like the RS5 or the new 911.

Thank you for any answers in advance.

Last edited by gearboxtrouble; 10-19-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #145
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble View Post
First time poster - found this thread on google. I've had my M3 for 3 years now (22k miles) without a single problem. It also happens to be the first non manual car I have ever owned (my e46 was stick). Yesterday I lost all odd gears on my way home and had BMW assist flatbed it in to the dealership. My SA told me BMW's procedure stated that they had to duplicate the fault (Everything worked again by the morning) before they could proceed. They successfully duplicated the fault after 10 minutes of driving. BMW procedure now states (apparently) that they clear the error messages, test drive the car again and ask me to take the car back and call them immediately if the test clears out. I did so and lost all odd gears again near the dealership. I took it back in. Apparently on 'strike three' BMW now escalates this to a puma case (BMWNA level), keeps my car and provides me with a loaner.

Given so many of you have had the same issue, any idea what to expect now? If they rebuild/replace the gearbox can I ask for a free extended warranty? I do not want to have them push a 'reprogram'/'rebuild' solution and have the same thing happen to me after I roll off warranty. Who do I ask - BMWNA (whom to contact) or the dealership?

I've been very happy with my M3 but BMW are on test here as far as I am concerned. A satisfactory resolution of this issue without forcing me into buying an extended warranty for peace of mind will guarantee I buy the next M3/4. Any sub optimal solutions will almost certainly cause me to sell the car as soon as they say it is 'fixed' and look at alternatives like the RS5 or the new 911.

Thank you for any answers in advance.
As an update my SA claims this is a mechatronics issue. They are apparently going to have to replace the mechatronics module and the control valves that come with it. If that does not kill the issue they will allow a full gearbox replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #146
TravMac
Rep

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it. I'm waiting on my clutchpack to come. That's what I was told to replace as my clutch 1 is not holding.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #147
Jamell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 m3

I have the SAME EXACT problem with my 2010 M3 I try to reverse and it goes back to Neutral. I took it to BMW and they fixed it 4 months ago but it happened again yesterday. My warranty runs out in 1 month. I dont want to have to pay for a new transmission when it runs out. What would you advise????
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #148
TravMac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamell View Post
I have the SAME EXACT problem with my 2010 M3 I try to reverse and it goes back to Neutral. I took it to BMW and they fixed it 4 months ago but it happened again yesterday. My warranty runs out in 1 month. I dont want to have to pay for a new transmission when it runs out. What would you advise????
Well, I ended up having to replace my clutch pack. The clutch had been torn to shreds.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 05:34 AM   #149
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamell View Post
You have a door open or the car thinks you do.
And maybe get an extended warranty?

Last edited by SenorFunkyPants; 01-25-2014 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #150
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
You have a door open or the car thinks you do.
And get an extended warranty.
+1
first time it happened to me I freaked out too but I put 2 and 2 together and realized it was the door being open.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:02 AM   #151
sodedicated
Registered
Rep
Drives: e60

I had a similar problem on my car. I drained the transmission oil of my e92 m3 coupe and i found traces of water in there. So i figured that the only place where water and transmission oil get close to each other is in the heat transfer which is located on top of the transmission.
part#(17 21 2 283 325). I ordred a new one, and problem solved.

But now when i hook up the scanner on the car, i get a message that the Transmission oil temp sensor is faulty. The sensor is reading 200C constantly weather the car is cold or hot. There are no errors on the dashboard only on the scanner tool.

I tried to search for the sensor online and found a part called (Speed and temp sensor) (28 10 7 842 851), but i'm not sure if its the correct part. I have been told that the sensor that i'm looking for is actually located inside the "trans. control unit) and i have to change the whole unit which isn't cheap. can someone help me with that please?

the car is driving normally, i'm just afraid that the first time the heat transfer failed because of the sensors's wrong reading but i could be wrong...

i hope i was helpful and i hope someone can advice me on what to do

cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:16 PM   #152
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueler View Post
No where near the frequency or expense of DCT issues. With more passing time, we will continue to see the real cost of ownership of these gearboxes.
Two years have passed since the post you quoted...haven't seen much to confirm your comment.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #153
dcloward
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Transmission mechatronics electronic module

Hi all,
I know this thread is a couple of years old and so most of the cars were under warranty. I first had transmission problems after being out of warranty by only one month, but there were no codes stored on this problem. After having this happen the third time to my wife, I had her drive straight to the dealer and they said I need the mechatronics module and it was $3,000 + $1,700 labor. They offered me only a 10% discount. Clearly this car had this problem while under warranty but they could never detect the problem. Did anyone every get this repair covered while out of warranty?
Thanks,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #154
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Contact BMWNA for goodwill. I had a DCT pan leak a couple thousand miles out of warranty and it was covered for me.
Appreciate 0