BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

01-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Hawk HPS/HP Plus/OEM brake pad review

This summer, I replaced my OEM brake pads with a set of Hawk HP Plus brake pads on my m3. The HP Plus pads remained on my car for only 1 track event and were removed a few days after the event. The one thing I couldn’t stand was the squealing noise that the HP Plus pads made under cold braking (more on that later). Fast forward to early December, Michael at Acute Performance gave me an opportunity to try out the HPS pads so I went ahead with it and got it installed just before the Christmas weekend.

As of today, I have about 300km (bout 190 miles) on the new HPS pads. I have taken some time to properly bed them in by following the instructions that can be found on Hawk’s website. I copied and paste the instructions below;
• After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.
• Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.
• DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
• Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

Noise: The HPS pads were very quiet, just like OEM pads. They don’t make any squealing noise when driving around town. I didn’t even have to apply a lot of anti-squeal gel on the back of the pad plates.

The HP Plus pads were a totally different story. They were completely silent when used in track/autocross conditions or when doing some hard canyon carving but they squeal to no end under daily driving conditions. I followed the same bed in instructions that were given by Hawk to properly bed them in but the squealing just didn’t go away. I ended up deciding to remove the HP plus after only a few days of having them on my car.

Dust: HPS pads definitely produce less dust than OEM pads. I am surprised at how clean my rims have remained after driving the 300km. I cant say how much dust the pads will produce under track use since it’s the middle of winter here in the great white north so I’ll have to report back on this when I start my first track day sometime in april/may.

Bite/Stopping Power: the HPS pads behave very similarly to OEM pads under light braking. The bite is pretty gradual with a very similar feel to the OEM pads. This makes the brakes easy to modulate for city driving. However, the HPS pads do give a firmer bite upon hard braking. There is less mushiness in the pedal when you do panic stops compared to the OEM pads – this really gives great confidence when performing hard stops or slowing down from high speeds.

The HP Plus pads definitely have a stronger initial bite compared to the HPS pads but this is no surprise since they are made of a more aggressive compound that is designed more for track/autocross use.

Lifespan: the HPS pads are newly installed so I will have to report back on this later. However, the HP Plus pads held up pretty well under track use. The compound doesn’t fall apart like the OEM pad under high heat situations. The OEM pads are capable of stopping you on most short tracks or autocross routes, however, they wear very quickly under high temperature use so they aren’t ideal for track use since you’d be going through them very quickly if you track often enough.

We’ll see if the HPS pads are as durable as the HP Plus under more intense use.

Pad design: one thing I noticed on the Hawk pads is that they have a tapered chamfer on the leading edge and trailing edge of the pads (refer to pictures for reference). This means they have slightly less surface contact area at the beginning of the pad life. As the pad wears down, the tapers fade away and the pads start to get full contact with the rotors. The chamfer is supposed to reduce vibration and noise but the Pagid yellow pads (refer to pic) don’t have this feature so I am wondering if it does anything at all other than reducing the surface area of the pads.

A difference between the HPS pads and HP Plus pads is that the HPS did not come with any replacement brake pad sensors. The HP Plus pads came with replacement pad sensors. This was not a major concern since I just used the stock OEM sensor with the new HPS pads but I am surprised the HPS didn’t come with sensors as well.

Overall, I am happy with the HPS pads so far. They don’t squeal like HP Plus pads and have better feel compared to the OEM pads under hard braking, on the other hand the HPS also produces less dust compared to OEM pads. I have a feeling that the HP Plus pads will still be the choice for those who autocross or track regularly but the HPS will be a good upgrade from the OEM pads for those who want a performance pad for daily driving and some weekend spirited driving.

Thanks again to Acute Performance (http://www.acuteperformance.com/) for hooking me up with a set of HPS pads. Service was extremely fast and efficient. The pads were shipped out within a day.
Attached Images

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Hawk HP Plus pads with the included brake pad sensors.
Attached Images

Last edited by montreal red; 01-01-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

brand new pagid yellow pads for comparison. notice the lack of a chamfer on the leading/trailing edges of the pads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Thank you for the write-up

Sounds like the HPS Pads are ideal for someone like me that wants to improve less of that mushiness feeling when braking hard on the street. Not to say every time I'm breaking hard, but those 1 or 2 times I do occasionally, I can feel plenty of mushiness in the stock pedal.

I imagine they are pretty rotor friendly as they are a street pad? Would you say this pad is one of the better, if not best replacement street pad for our daily driven, non-tracked M's?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Thank you for the write-up

Sounds like the HPS Pads are ideal for someone like me that wants to improve less of that mushiness feeling when braking hard on the street. Not to say every time I'm breaking hard, but those 1 or 2 times I do occasionally, I can feel plenty of mushiness in the stock pedal.

I imagine they are pretty rotor friendly as they are a street pad? Would you say this pad is one of the better, if not best replacement street pad for our daily driven, non-tracked M's?
yeap, the HPS pads are a nice alternative to the OEM pads. they offer slightly better performance than OEM at a good price point. its not a track pad but i think it should hold up ok for novice/intermediate drivers on occasional track days.

i am glad the HPS doesnt squeal like the HP Plus pads. i loved the performance of the HP Plus pads but they squealed a little too much for me.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

excellent write up, thanx for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience...
good point regarding the HPS pads not being a track pad...I chose these pads for DD/occasional spirited driving use

I'm looking forward to installing these pads as well (purchased from acuteperformance/michael) as well, once I take delivery of my e90 m3. I've dealt with michael often and am never disappointed with his CS.
      01-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
yeap, the HPS pads are a nice alternative to the OEM pads. they offer slightly better performance than OEM at a good price point. its not a track pad but i think it should hold up ok for novice/intermediate drivers on occasional track days.

i am glad the HPS doesnt squeal like the HP Plus pads. i loved the performance of the HP Plus pads but they squealed a little too much for me.
Unfortunately, you will not see much difference in either life or track performance with the HPS v. OE pads. Obviously, this depends on driving style and track demands. The car is capable of considerable speed, and it's very heavy, a killer combination when it comes to brakes. The pad taper ground on either end is, as you mentioned, a noise control feature. Pagid Yellow, either 19 or 29, is a track pad that is going to create noise regardless, so no need to reduce the pad surface for so little effect.

Since it is all personal choice, you need to do what works for you. But if you push the car aggressively on track, the HPS pad is not going to be nearly sufficient. There is no way around the necessity to change pads for street and track use. Unless, of course, you are willing and able to adapt your brake use to the limit of the street pad.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
acuteperformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Audi R8 V8 | 15 BMW M4 YMB

Thanks for the kind words. If anyone is interested, I always have these pads available. I can also answer any questions as well.

Michael
Acute Performance
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The HPS pads are fine for street use but it's worth noting that all brake pads even OE pads can squeal. The HPS like OE pads may start squealing a little, after they are fully contoured into the rotors. Yes some pads squeal more than others and harder track type compounds are impossible to stop squealing.

As far as the leading and trailing taper on the pad is concerned, that is part of what helps reduce squealing, which is caused by high speed vibration of the pad against the rotor. For track pads this taper is minimal or eliminated all together as you want all the pad surface you can get against the rotor to minimise wear.
so far i havent had any squealing with either the HPS or the OEM pads even under winter usage when the rotors and pads are stone cold. but youre right bout the track type pads squealing no matter what. the HP Plus pads couldnt stop squealing.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
excellent write up, thanx for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience...
good point regarding the HPS pads not being a track pad...I chose these pads for DD/occasional spirited driving use

I'm looking forward to installing these pads as well (purchased from acuteperformance/michael) as well, once I take delivery of my e90 m3. I've dealt with michael often and am never disappointed with his CS.
u'd be happy with them. i think the HPS pads have very similar characteristics to OEM pads with a little added performance. the pricing of the pads are very reasonable too.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

HPS pads are a good bargain for street use. Better and more cost effective than OEM if your warranty is gone. But you can destroy these pads in one 20 minute session on the Nurburgring GP track. I forgot to swap pads and i had to limp home Ive been driving on my Pagid RS 29 since yah they squeal but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
HPS pads are a good bargain for street use. Better and more cost effective than OEM if your warranty is gone. But you can destroy these pads in one 20 minute session on the Nurburgring GP track. I forgot to swap pads and i had to limp home Ive been driving on my Pagid RS 29 since yah they squeal but oh well.
pretty surprised to hear that you destroyed the pads in one 20min session. have you tried doing the same track with OEM pads? the HPS pad is very similar to OEM pads in my opinion. i think i should be able to get through 20min sessions without any issues. i've done quite a number of track days on oem pads and they dont have a problem sustaining through 4 or 5 20min sessions every track day.

perhaps the main reason why you burnt through regular pads so quickly is probably because youre a much more advanced driver than i am. i'm usually in the intermediate grp when i go to track days.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

You didn't think the HPS had less cold bite than stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
I thought they did when I had them on my E36 M3. I thought they had less initial bite overall, but they produced WAY less dust compared to stock. You just had to step on the pedal a little harder initially. I'd get them again if I were paying for pads and looking for a street pad. I'm sure they'd be fine for me for a few track sessions. No way I'm up at Tier's level of driving if he's burning them out in a session.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
acuteperformance
United_States
Rep

Have to remember the HPS is still a street pad but their niche is providing a low dust street pad that also works for the occasional tracker.

Michael
Acute Performance
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I thought they did when I had them on my E36 M3. I thought they had less initial bite overall, but they produced WAY less dust compared to stock. You just had to step on the pedal a little harder initially. I'd get them again if I were paying for pads and looking for a street pad. I'm sure they'd be fine for me for a few track sessions. No way I'm up at Tier's level of driving if he's burning them out in a session.
so far the initial bite is very similar to stock. they dont bite as hard as HP Plus but that makes them easy to come to modulate around town so my car isnt as jerky in stop-and-go traffic.

i think the main selling points are the low-dust, reasonable price, and added confidence on hard braking. i am still happy with them on the car. if they hold up as well (or slightly better) as OEM pads on the track, then i'll be more than happy with them.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
pretty surprised to hear that you destroyed the pads in one 20min session. have you tried doing the same track with OEM pads? the HPS pad is very similar to OEM pads in my opinion. i think i should be able to get through 20min sessions without any issues. i've done quite a number of track days on oem pads and they dont have a problem sustaining through 4 or 5 20min sessions every track day.

perhaps the main reason why you burnt through regular pads so quickly is probably because youre a much more advanced driver than i am. i'm usually in the intermediate grp when i go to track days.
OEM pads will have the same effect. The Nurburgring GP track has 2 extreme braking zones back to back. If you dont run upgraded brake fluid and SS lines your lucky to survive 12 minutes. I had a friend suffer brake failure on the same track his OEM pads delaminated on the right front. I will stick with PAGID and ENDLESS pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
acuteperformance
United_States
Rep

how are the pads treating you now?

michael
acute performance
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #19
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, properly bedded right after install..

have been in stop and go traffic as well as some hard braking due to lovely so cal drivers....

stopping power was as good as OEM IMO, no squeal...and no dust....

thanx michael/acuteperformance...
      02-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Michael, can you pm me a price for Hawk HPS shipped to 10605, NY? Nice writeup...I've heard good things about these!
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #21
acuteperformance
United_States
Rep

You've got PM.

Michael
Acute Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
I can't comment on the pads used on an e92/e90 but for my e30, I used the HP Plus which was perfect for street use and the occasional track use. No squealing. My friend used the HPS pads and it squealed a lot.
Appreciate 0