BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

im puzzled, like 8-series as in a flop? or god-like?
      01-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #24
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
im puzzled, like 8-series as in a flop? or god-like?
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #25
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

The 8 series is kind of one of those cars that everyone thinks is cool, but no one actually wants to own.. It makes for one heck of an autobahn cruiser, but honestly it's too heavy to be considered a sports car, too small to be considered anything useful in terms of hauling people, and too complicated and expensive for most people to want to even screw around with it.

After all, if you're gonna get an 8 series, why would you get an 840? Which means, you basically need to get the V12 ($$$$), and what the heck, you might as well try and find one in 6-speed. Those will be the ones to have, not many cars you can buy ANYWHERE for that kind of money that have a V12 and a 6MT, if that's what you're in to.

IMO, the 8 series will be one of those rare niche cars that will have a cult like following but generally disregarded by the public.

I don't think many of these super complicated BMW's will ever be highly collectible because most people wont be able to screw around with them. Combine that with the relatively low numbers of vehicles produced and low amount of aftermarket parts.

Think about the cars that are highly collectible now.... Most weren't particularly rare (although similar model variants and option packages are), and they weren't particularly technologically advanced for their time. I think much of that will continue on going forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
The 8 is an intriguing car to me. If you see one parked in a lot, it gets tons of attention. More than almost any other car I can think of. Especially if it's red. You'd have to light it on fire to get less attention.

But, nobody ever seems to really love it or even really like it. And, I wonder why.

It's only anecdotal but I experience a similar phenomenon with the 135i. Not sure what the correct word or phrasing is but the 1 series piques the curiosity of people much more than an M5.

I think people get confused by the 1. They like it but they don't love it. But, they sort of love it.

And, I wonder why.
Your 1er gets lots of attention in a parking lot? I drove mine for 3 years and never had this happen. In my Exige it would happen pretty regularly but never in the 1er. I also love cars and love the 8 series but unless it's a rare CSi, I don't really bat a lash when I see one. FWIW, my buddy at work has a CSi and they're still hovering in that $20-30k context. I don't think he ever drives it.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #27
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Your 1er gets lots of attention in a parking lot? I drove mine for 3 years and never had this happen. In my Exige it would happen pretty regularly but never in the 1er. I also love cars and love the 8 series but unless it's a rare CSi, I don't really bat a lash when I see one. FWIW, my buddy at work has a CSi and they're still hovering in that $20-30k context. I don't think he ever drives it.
Yeah, the 1 gets a lot of "what is that?" kind of attention. We don't have many valet type parking in NYC but we have lots of public garages with parking attendants. On the few occasions I've valet'd it (can valet be an adverb?) , I always get lots of questions and flattering type comments.

The car isn't even an interesting color - black on black. She's got Hartge Classics so I guess that dresses her up a bit, but, still.

At a typical Manhattan garage you have $100k+ vehicles stacked and racked and busting at the seams. You know. But, that stupid little 1 definitely stands out and gets attention. When I 'm parked in front of my bar-nightclub people are always eyeing the car. My security guards laugh about it. I've driven lots of decent cars and the only car which comes close to the amount of attention and comments would my old Lotus Esprit Turbo. Strange, right ?

Maybe it's New York thing? New York can be pretty strange lol

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 01-24-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #28
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
What was your motivation for trying to purchase that particular car?

Collector? Flipper? Sentimentality? Project/Hobby car?

The 8 is an intriguing car to me. If you see one parked in a lot, it gets tons of attention. More than almost any other car I can think of. Especially if it's red. You'd have to light it on fire to get less attention.

But, nobody ever seems to really love it or even really like it. And, I wonder why.

It's only anecdotal but I experience a similar phenomenon with the 135i. Not sure what the correct word or phrasing is but the 1 series piques the curiosity of people much more than an M5.

I think people get confused by the 1. They like it but they don't love it. But, they sort of love it.

And, I wonder why.

A combination of the three. I buy cars that I like and cars that I admired when I was a kid. When I get bored of them I sell them...

I have to dissagree with you about the 8 series though. The thing is- the only people that pay attention to it are enthusiasts. Or people that know cars. (not most people now a days)
      01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #29
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
I buy cars that I like and cars that I admired when I was a kid.

I really like the above thought. Very expressive and honest.

You're probably more right than me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
Rep

Good luck with your search.

Apropos of; I have a dear friend who's a psychiatrist. We were both in high school in the 1980's when Drakkar Noir was the most common men's fragrance. Guys who would never think of wearing cologne wore Drakkar.

So when my friend goes out socially, he wears Drakkar. The scent (olfactory is far and away the most powerful sense memory) subconsciously brings back powerful sentimental emotions in both males and females. Since high school and college are usually the period in a persons life were they begin sexually socializing and doing things like seriously falling in love for the first time, Drakkar will evoke powerful positive emotions from most people in this age range. It's fascinating to witness him in action lol.

Anyway, I bet the 8 series has a similar affect on your subconscious which you obviously recognize.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BLACK e90 335i

[QUOTE=mryakanisachoad;13363317]Good luck with your search.

Apropos of; I have a dear friend who's a psychiatrist. We were both in high school in the 1980's when Drakkar Noir was the most common men's fragrance. Guys who would never think of wearing cologne wore Drakkar.

So when my friend goes out socially, he wears Drakkar. The scent (olfactory is far and away the most powerful sense memory) subconsciously brings back powerful sentimental emotions in both males and females. Since high school and college are usually the period in a persons life were they begin sexually socializing and doing things like seriously falling in love for the first time, Drakkar will evoke powerful positive emotions from most people in this age range. It's fascinating to witness him in action lol.

Anyway, I bet the 8 series has a similar affect on your subconscious which you obviously recognize.[/QUOTE]

To a point, yes. Certain smells, sounds, tastes, etc. trigger memories that you have associated with them. Except that I went to highschool in 2007-2010. So I only remember the late 90's 8 series.