BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

10-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3

Buffer

Hey guys just wondering if you can offer some help on buffing. I have a new M3 and wanna keep her as as sharp as I can. I have never used a buffer and to remind you this is a new car with very few webs no swirles. I think I will try on my work van on one panel if I get it. I may not try to get webs out I am not sure and don't wanna mess up my new car. I have sealant and wax I wanna put on car.

I don't wanna spend more then $50 to $60 bucks and wanna pick one up today to use, I don't want to order one . I found one Chicago Electric Platium, 6 inch variable dual action random orbit $60 bucks.

1- Are they easy to use without screwing up my paint?

2-Can you put on and take off sealant and wax using one?

3- What kind of pads to put on sealant and wax and take off if it can be used for both?

4- If I decide to go after the webs. What pads to use?

5- Looking for as much help as I can get or I will have no choice but to go by hand.

My paint is almost flawless I did the wash and clay bar. I hope I am not going in over my head by not going by hand if I decide to buff. I will go on some of your advice I know most look to offer best advice from experience . Thanks guys

Last edited by Dice13; 10-31-2013 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Is this the DA polisher that you are planning to use?
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...her-69924.html

You can also find Meguiar's products at Walmart and Pep Boys. Easy to walk in and purchase. This is a video link to the Meguiar's site:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/videos

There is lots of other web locations for online video demonstrations that will help with your questions. Also check out the Chemical Guy's site....there are plenty of others.

Your goal looks like you want to get started without a wait, but I would consider your "flawless new car". You do want to test drive the buffer on another vehicle until you develop some skill using the buffer. I have not used the Harbor Freight unit. Better equipment might provide features that will make the process easier for you and safer for the car. This even includes the backing plate and pads.

It's also easy to get so excited about the buffing that you end up damaging things like trim and mirrors. I have watched my students get wild and skid across a panel. Not a great way to start you first buffing experience. Often it's the little things that are easy to ruin the experience, like dragging the power cord across the panel while buffing. Watch the pros or search out some training in your area. With some planning this can be very rewarding.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes thats the one from Harbor. But It does not have to be that one I wanna stay near $60. I am pretty steady with my hands and work with my hands daily. I only want to seal and wax I don't need to get out swirls being car is new. I just figured a DA would give me the best finish and easy to use.

Last edited by Dice13; 10-31-2013 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: add to post
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Buy a used porter cable, practice on another older vehicle. Few things feel worse than wrecking a flawless finish. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am sealing with BlackFire sealant followed by Megs #26 yellow wax all by hand, I guess I can not screw much up that way on near near flawless ILB paint Hehe. I will research a DA polisher then try it out on my 06 van, polish to get out marks and scratches out and seal. Thanks Guys I could have made a mess of my new car that needs no paint correction. I just want her to look as wet :-) and glossy as I can.

Is porter cable my best bet? I only wanna buy one and hope I get many years out of it without needing to upgrade. How much do they run?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Rupes is arguably better but a porter cable is damn good for the money and should last a lifetime (had 2 for 10yrs). Used sub 100 easily.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
JABSprings
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 / ESS VT2-650

Adam's Polishes has some great how to videos.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
Appreciate 0