BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
The nice thing about the coding vs module is that it always works and the mirrors fold/unfold when you desire to do so.
This is completely irrelevant. In reference to the mirrors, the vehicle is awaken when unlock button is pressed whether programmed or having a module installed.

Quote:
With the module Tom is referring to, it doesn't always work that way. Mirrors can get de-synchronized (meaning they can unfold when you LOCK and fold when you UNLOCK your car) and if the car is parked for more than 1-2 hours the module goes into the sleep mode (no power supplied to the module) and it wont work when you are unlocking your car.
100% false. Please see above. No disrespect, just making sure the forum members have the correct info posted.

Quote:
We had this module on the car for a long period of time and it CAN NOT be compared to the coding.
Actually, it's much different. Here's a quick comparison:

Coding
Only controls mirror folding with key FOB.

remoteKEY module
- Individually programmable via custom Blinker menu or USB/laptop
- Factory BMW Alarm Emulation
- Passive / Invisible mode
- Open and close the windows and the sunroof separately by remote without holding of the lock/unlock of the FOB. Press for +5 seconds and walk away
- Fold mirrors in and out by remote. If equipped with Comfort Access -door handles can also activate mirror folding.
- Automatically unlock the doors when turning the ignition off. No more pulling the door handle twice.
- USB Port for easy end-user updates

We can do both (modules vs coding via autologic), but the modules will always be more popular than coding since it simply provides more options, especially for those with Comfort Access. Modules can also be removed and sold if the vehicle is turned in at the end of leased or sold.

More info can be seen in the DIY section, which gives a full description of installation and video operation.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 08-02-2010 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #24
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
This is completely irrelevant. In reference to the mirrors, the vehicle is awaken when unlock button is pressed whether programmed or having a module installed.
It is not irrelevant. It does fail to unfold the mirrors after the vehicle being parked for a long time. I purchased that module form you long time ago, and if you remember I was talking to you about that issue. Your response to this issue was that you are still working on it and you recommended me to run the power line straight from the battery, so the module gets the constant power supply.

Quote:
100% false. Please see above. No disrespect, just making sure the forum members have the correct info posted.
If you are saying that it is 100% false, I will be happy to demonstrate it on any customer's car as I don't want to install that product back on my car.

Quote:
Actually, it's much different. Here's a quick comparison:

Coding
Only controls mirror folding with key FOB.
With the coding you can control both mirrors and windows in case you missed it in the video.

Quote:
remoteKEY module
- Individually programmable via custom Blinker menu or USB/laptop
- Factory BMW Alarm Emulation
- Passive / Invisible mode
- Open and close the windows and the sunroof separately by remote without holding of the lock/unlock of the FOB. Press for +5 seconds and walk away
- Fold mirrors in and out by remote. If equipped with Comfort Access -door handles can also activate mirror folding.
- Automatically unlock the doors when turning the ignition off. No more pulling the door handle twice.
- USB Port for easy end-user updates
While for some customers it is more important to have more features and they are not concerned about taping into the factory wires, the other customers would prefer not to do that. The module might have more features, but it's still a piece of aftermarket hardware. It is up to a customer to decide what works better for them.

Quote:
We can do both (modules vs coding via autologic), but the modules will always be more popular than coding since it simply provides more options, especially for those with Comfort Access. Modules can also be removed and sold if the vehicle is turned in at the end of leased or sold.
While it may be more popular from your point of view, it still can interfere with the factory warranty if the module is discovered by the dealer.

At the end of the day, customer should decide which one of these options is more suitable for them, not you and me.

Thanks,
Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #25
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Do we have to bring the car to you to do this? PM me if we don't have to bring the car to you. Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Do we have to bring the car to you to do this? PM me if we don't have to bring the car to you. Thanks.
PMed
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
It is not irrelevant. It does fail to unfold the mirrors after the vehicle being parked for a long time. I purchased that module form you long time ago, and if you remember I was talking to you about that issue. Your response to this issue was that you are still working on it and you recommended me to run the power line straight from the battery, so the module gets the constant power supply.
I'm aware you have a module as I sold it to you myself. All BMW modules offered from M4C are developed in-house as we have a very good understanding of the CM network involved.

Getting back to installation - Was this ever corrected on your end? This is not a fault of the module, only the power feeding to it (as a result of IBS). Tapping off a constant +12V connection as shown in the instructions will prevent this from happening.

Quote:
If you are saying that it is 100% false, I will be happy to demonstrate it on any customer's car as I don't want to install that product back on my car.
Please make sure your connections are correct before doing so - as not to give a false impression of the module and to verify you are getting 100% of the features, including proper operation. Proper procedures take the connectiosn from the JBE module under the glovebox (BLACK connector) are as follows:

PIN6: Ground
PIN3: Permanent +12V
PINS 10 & 12: CAN High/Low

If you are not using these connections - then please correct your installation before commenting any further on module operation.

Quote:
With the coding you can control both mirrors and windows in case you missed it in the video.
Same can be said about the modules - since it uses factory BMW commands. The hardware requirement is there in order to prevent holding down on the key FOB, which isn't shown in your video. With the remoteKEY - it's press and go since the controller will handle macro commands (which the FRM is incapable of doing).

Quote:
While for some customers it is more important to have more features and they are not concerned about taping into the factory wires, the other customers would prefer not to do that. The module might have more features, but it's still a piece of aftermarket hardware. It is up to a customer to decide what works better for them.
No argument there, it's simply a matter of preference which is up to the consumer.

Quote:
While it may be more popular from your point of view, it still can interfere with the factory warranty if the module is discovered by the dealer.
In all fairness, aftermarket coding also falls within this realm. It's highly unlikely this will be an issue.

Quote:
At the end of the day, customer should decide which one of these options is more suitable for them, not you and me.

Thanks,
Aleks.
My point was with the false representation of the modules you were providing is all and now everything should be cleared up so forum members can understand better what limitations of features between coding vs hardware installation.

We offer both Autologic coding and modules (we've owned the autologic for quite some time and contribute heavily to their development team - including making the e92 LCI taillight retrofit possible). When the features are explained in detail, the decision most times falls upon module installation due to the lack of features coding provides for this specific convenience feature.

FYI: If you had not presented the example as a "anti-module" thread, I would had no reason to reply.

All I'm asking is if you are targeting a campaign against modules (as seen in the opening post and video), be sure to explain both sides in detail so there is no comparison bias and forum members are fully informed of all features of both choices available to them.

Healthy debate is how forum members become more educated in the matter, thanks for keeping things civil.

Thanks,

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
FYI: If you had not presented the example as a "anti-module" thread, I would had no reason to reply.
EAS: You guys are always on the offense, eh? Your posts in any post about products for which you offer similar/identical/competitive products are ALWAYS under maximum scrutiny from me (as they should be from any astute reader). Way too often your presence here comes across as meddling, arrongant and overly self promoting. Seriously, butt out of this Alexshop thread. Do you think Alexshop even wants you answering questions about their product (regardless of whether you offer an "identical" product or service).

Last but not least your justification above is extremely weak anyway. There was no promotion here as this solution being "anti-module". Is simply stated that no hardware was required.

Seriously - find a better use for your time.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #29
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
For autologic, the vehicle will need to be present at a programming facility so it it powered up to a steady power supply for module stability.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #30
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For autologic, the vehicle will need to be present at a programming facility so it it powered up to a steady power supply for module stability.
This statement is incorrect. You don't need to bring the car to the shop in order to perform Autologic coding. There are portable charges that are being used by a BMW dealer that can supply constant power during the coding session.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #31
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm aware you have a module as I sold it to you myself. All BMW modules offered from M4C are developed in-house as we have a very good understanding of the CM network involved.

Getting back to installation - Was this ever corrected on your end? This is not a fault of the module, only the power feeding to it (as a result of IBS). Tapping off a constant +12V connection as shown in the instructions will prevent this from happening.
Tom, I never heard back from you with the real solution to resolve that issue. Running a power line from the battery wasn't a solution for me.

Quote:
Please make sure your connections are correct before doing so - as not to give a false impression of the module and to verify you are getting 100% of the features, including proper operation. Proper procedures take the connectiosn from the JBE module under the glovebox (BLACK connector) are as follows:

PIN6: Ground
PIN3: Permanent +12V
PINS 10 & 12: CAN High/Low
I don't think it makes sense to purchase a product that are sitting on a constant 12V power line and draining the battery. This was the main reason why the module was removed from my vehicle long time ago.

With the 10+ years of the experience that you have ( I believe this is what you mentioned before), I would imagine you can come up with a better solution and maybe add an in-line relay that will activate and deactivate the module when the vehicle is being locked/unlocked.

Quote:
Same can be said about the modules - since it uses factory BMW commands. The hardware requirement is there in order to prevent holding down on the key FOB, which isn't shown in your video. With the remoteKEY - it's press and go since the controller will handle macro commands (which the FRM is incapable of doing).
We are using something that BMW is offering in Europe to all of their customers. With the coding, customers will be able to access the very same options that are offered in Europe.

Quote:
My point was with the false representation of the modules you were providing is all and now everything should be cleared up so forum members can understand better what limitations of features between coding vs hardware installation.
I was not providing any information about the modules that you carry in this thread. You were the one who brought it up. I just stated the facts, something that I have experienced with that product in the past.

Quote:
We offer both Autologic coding and modules (we've owned the autologic for quite some time and contribute heavily to their development team - including making the e92 LCI taillight retrofit possible). When the features are explained in detail, the decision most times falls upon module installation due to the lack of features coding provides for this specific convenience feature.
Last time (2 weeks ago) when the car was coded with Autologic, the option to fold/mirrors with the remote wasn't available. It is good to know that Autologic fixed that issue.

Quote:
There is no "anti-module" info in this thread. I had to make it clear that we are not using any aftermarket modules . There are similar modules available on the market today and I wanted to make it clear that we are not bringing another module to BMW owners.

I apologize if you took it personally and had to waste your time posting in this thread.

Quote:
Healthy debate is how forum members become more educated in the matter, thanks for keeping things civil.
That is all I am trying to do ... discuss the options and keep it civil.

Thanks,
Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Tom, I never heard back from you with the real solution to resolve that issue. Running a power line from the battery wasn't a solution for me.

I don't think it makes sense to purchase a product that are sitting on a constant 12V power line and draining the battery. This was the main reason why the module was removed from my vehicle long time ago.
The modules draw very little power and the +12V allows the modules to enter into a sleep mode when not in use, also allowing the mirror LED to continue to blink when the vehicle is locked, emulating the factory alarm.

For those not using alarm emulation - there is no power draw at all while the vehicle is locked. The modules in alarm emulation mode (if used) pull a max voltage of 3mA when the vehicle is "armed". Draw testing was monitored during the R&D stage to verify this would never come up as an issue.

In comparison, the factory CD Changer pulls about 20mA.

Quote:
With the 10+ years of the experience that you have ( I believe this is what you mentioned before), I would imagine you can come up with a better solution and maybe add an in-line relay that will activate and deactivate the module when the vehicle is being locked/unlocked.
A relay would not help in this case if no power is being delivered at all.

Full power is turned off within the vehicle after 20 minutes to prevent excessive battery drain, with exception to the JBE/CAS modules which have live power at all times.

Quote:
That is all I am trying to do ... discuss the options and keep it civil.

Thanks,
Aleks.
Likewise. Just making sure fair play is in effect here.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #33
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
Ah, good info.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #34
ainal
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: --

I did this with coding at the dealer and no cost. MY is 2008.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #35
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainal View Post
I did this with coding at the dealer and no cost. MY is 2008.
It is true. It can be done. Maybe not at your American dealers... but it can be done quite easily. you can customize the shit out of your key at the dealer. I was given the options of which windows i wanted to open/close, and to have the mirrors fold or not. I found this out when i came to have my key reprogrammed to have all he doors unlock on one click.

but this is for a 320i. not an m3
      08-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #36
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
EAS: You guys are always on the offense, eh? Your posts in any post about products for which you offer similar/identical/competitive products are ALWAYS under maximum scrutiny from me (as they should be from any astute reader). Way too often your presence here comes across as meddling, arrongant and overly self promoting. Seriously, butt out of this Alexshop thread. Do you think Alexshop even wants you answering questions about their product (regardless of whether you offer an "identical" product or service).

Last but not least your justification above is extremely weak anyway. There was no promotion here as this solution being "anti-module". Is simply stated that no hardware was required.

Seriously - find a better use for your time.
EXACTLY!!!

Tom...I've met you in person when I lived out in CA & at MFest I & II in Vegas and you were a really nice guy. The more I see this type of SPAMING & that is what I consider this (I don't care that EAS is a sponsor to this site), you make me want to buy from EAS less & less. Also being a small business owner in the aftermarket automotive sector myself on the side, I also take offense to how you've bullied yourself into other people's/company's post that offer another option to what is available. You did the same thing when I & others posted (on XoutPost.com) about how we installed the IntraVee & liked it better than the EAS offered product in our X5s. I understand your job is to sell, sell, sell but there IS room for the little guy who wants to make a buck, so STOP trying to SPAM into such company's offerings.

Alekshop...NICE to bring another option to the market
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #37
rwchrist
CMPULSV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine White

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
PM info on coding...is there any place close to Wichita Falls TX to do this and how much.

Thanks

2006 Imola Red 6-speed E46 M3 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #38
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

Quote:
Guys,

Now you can Fold you mirrors and Roll UP/DOWN your windows without adding any aftermarket modules to your car.

This video demonstrates that now through coding you can activate Folding Mirrors and Rolling Up and Down windows option. This feature can be utilized with the key or the comfort access option.

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6u1u8D7R-3g&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6u1u8D7R-3g&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

PM me if you have any questions !

Thank you,
Aleks

how is that first sentence not anti-module? im with Tom on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #39
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
And where did Alekshop call Tom personally or EAS out in that first post? He didn't! Thus, there was NO need for him to hyjack the thread to try to force people to see what other they feel you should buy. Just like everyone has different preference to whom they are attracted to or what they want to buy...there are people who don't want to put modules on their cars & that's THEIR preference. It's also those people who want to see products like these and in no way should have the other product shoved down their throat!

I'm AGAINST posters who try to do that...hyjack posts with similar products when the origional poster isn't asking for it.
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #40
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post
And where did Alekshop call Tom personally or EAS out in that first post? He didn't! Thus, there was NO need for him to hyjack the thread to try to force people to see what other they feel you should buy. Just like everyone has different preference to whom they are attracted to or what they want to buy...there are people who don't want to put modules on their cars & that's THEIR preference. It's also those people who want to see products like these and in no way should have the other product shoved down their throat!

I'm AGAINST posters who try to do that...hyjack posts with similar products when the origional poster isn't asking for it.
I never said he did that. Re-Read the post man. your going off on an irrelevant tangent with your response. Tom didn't hijack the thread. he never posted a link to his shop or anything blatantly saying that we should buy his product over this one. Next time you wanna have a back and forth make sure you know wtf is going on
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #41
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwchrist View Post
PM info on coding...is there any place close to Wichita Falls TX to do this and how much.

Thanks
There will be a coding day hosted in (DFW) TX in a few weeks. Pm me if you are interested.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #42
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no "anti-module" information posted in that sentence.

It just gives other members a better understanding of what we do, and that we didn't use any aftermarket modules to achieve that.

FIY EAS in not the only one company that sells such a product (modules).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #43
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
FIY EAS in not the only one company that sells such a product (modules).
once again i never said that either. FYI.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #44
Alekshop
United_States
Rep

Quote:
once again i never said that either. FYI.
I can read it very well. If you can't back up what you said, just don't say it.

I am not here to compete with other vendors. I am here to offer an alternative option(s).
Appreciate 0