BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

07-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #67
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'm still of the opinion that Webber is just an average driver in a superb car.
Maybe a bit above 'average', but not great for sure. However, that's EXACTLY how I feel about Schumy on his winning days, when Ferrari was light years ahead of the competition. Now he's showing what kind of driver he really is; he should have stayed retired . Can't even outdrive his young teammate on the same car now ; must be embarrassing.

Anyway, with all the crap going on, the championship is still pretty much for grabs. Vettel is one of the best drivers out there, but needs some polishing. His advance from dead last by minutes to 7th on the previous race was mighty impressive. This second half of the championship will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #68
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
What Vettel needs is to keep is cool on the start of the race...
He's been concern about the P2 next to him and forgot the other 22 cars behind him. This time was Massa took the advantage.
      07-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #69
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Maybe a bit above 'average', but not great for sure. However, that's EXACTLY how I feel about Schumy on his winning days, when Ferrari was light years ahead of the competition. Now he's showing what kind of driver he really is; he should have stayed retired . Can't even outdrive his young teammate on the same car now ; must be embarrassing.

Anyway, with all the crap going on, the championship is still pretty much for grabs. Vettel is one of the best drivers out there, but needs some polishing. His advance from dead last by minutes to 7th on the previous race was mighty impressive. This second half of the championship will be interesting.
I sympathize with a large part of what you are saying. But I also think part of the reason the car was so great is because MSC is able to give good, detailed feedback.

I'm willing to give him at least another year though to see if he can prove himself again. Because thats what I think his return is really all about. He wants to make a return, win another World Championship and try to solidify that he is the best there ever was. If not only on paper.

And if he is able, I sure as hell would like to see it first hand.
      07-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #70
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
But I also think part of the reason the car was so great is because MSC is able to give good, detailed feedback.
Great point man. But just like RedBull had a great car right from the start (great aerodynamicist ), I suspect it was the same with Ferrari back then. Remember that SV is supposedly one of the best 'development' drivers out there, and MW one of the worst, and both RedBull cars/drivers are right at the top. Just like you said, only way to know for sure is to give the guy one more year. We'll know by the end of next season if your theory or mine was right . I think a good team can make a great car even with the most technically challenged drivers.

One thing is for sure: German drivers are the most technical. Guess it's in their blood. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #71
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

MW is one of the worst dev drivers? Are you including politics in the equation to satisfy SV#1 driver status?

MSC does not have the development time and testing he used to have with Ferrari. His lack of engineering skills don't help either. If F1 allowed testing like they do in the past, the grid would look totally different and MSC would be on top.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #72
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
MSC does not have the development time and testing he used to have with Ferrari. His lack of engineering skills don't help either. If F1 allowed testing like they do in the past, the grid would look totally different and MSC would be on top.
dont forget about budget, Braun used up all the money they had available, so there wasnt much to invest for this years Merc. I also think next year is the true test for MSC. I really dont know why people expected him to win from the get go, just doesnt work like that even if you are one of the greatest ever
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:54 PM   #73
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
dont forget about budget, Braun used up all the money they had available, so there wasnt much to invest for this years Merc. I also think next year is the true test for MSC. I really dont know why people expected him to win from the get go, just doesnt work like that even if you are one of the greatest ever
He should at least keep up with his team mate. Agree he will spring back. Ultimately he is at the mercy of limited testing. All it takes is one more go around with a little tweak and the pole is yours.
Appreciate 0