BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

01-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Solid subframe bushings with stock diff bushings

I know this subject has been beat to death, but as title states, anybody running solid subframe mounts with stock diff bushings? 6MT specifically. Seems like not many are doing this.

My car is heading in for a major overhaul, and while it will see track duty, it also will see street and highway driving. I know even the purple and black powerflex transmit a lot of whine. Wondering who has done just the subframe only, and how it is holding up on track?

I ran this exact setup on me E46 M3 for years on track with no issues, but the E92 does have a lot more power through the drivetrain. Me thinks the solid subframe would help stabilize the diff more, even with OE bushings. Didn't the GTS come with solid sub mounts and stock rubber diff mounts?
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I have been running that setup for years still ok but I do get wheel hope with track tires.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
I have been running that setup for years still ok but I do get wheel hope with track tires.
How would you get wheel hop on track? It's not like you are launching....at the track.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
Quote:
How would you get wheel hop on track? It's not like you are launching....at the track.
He said wheel hop with "track tires". Nothing about actual track use. I think the extra grip provided by r-comp tires can exacerbate the wheel hop issue. I would suggest some mid-level stiffness for your diff bushings if whine is a big concern. There is whine with solid or delrin bushings. I didn't think delrin was that bad but I didn't DD the car.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I have Macht Schnell Aluminum Subframe Mounts along wiht Purple Powerflex Bushings being installed right now.

Spoke to a local who had this setup, with Turner Subframe Mounts/Purple Powerflex, and he said the whine wasn't too bad. Barely noticeable.

Figured since my car has 72000KM (45000 Miles) of full city driving (We don't really have highways here in Hong Kong), might as well change them out while it's all out and the labour is easy to do.
Appreciate 1
MFL174.00
      01-18-2017, 10:40 PM   #6
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
Go with Solid subframe + Powerflex Purple.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Just when I'm getting into to track and full throttle I get a bit of wheel spin and goes into wheel hop. A few times when I drove home on track tires cause I was too lazy to replace at the track and standing at a light if I punch it I get wheel hop and I lift
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
Before I order my diff bushings...can someone please confirm that the "Street" bushings are the Purple ones and the "Race" bushings are the Black? Also, I need both the Front and Rear mount diff bushings correct?

EAS's Website on these for reference: https://europeanautosource.com/power...mw-e9x-m3.html
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #9
flipmeraz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
Before I order my diff bushings...can someone please confirm that the "Street" bushings are the Purple ones and the "Race" bushings are the Black? Also, I need both the Front and Rear mount diff bushings correct?

EAS's Website on these for reference: https://europeanautosource.com/power...mw-e9x-m3.html
Yea the purple ones are street and black race. You'll need both front and rear kits.
      01-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #10
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

Any recommendations for the front setup to go with solid subframe bushings and powerflex purple diff bushings? Or is OEM ok? I'm specifically asking for a supercharged setup. My current plan is to replace the front lower arms, tension strut arms, tie rods with OEM since my car is a daily driver.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
Any recommendations for the front setup to go with solid subframe bushings and powerflex purple diff bushings? Or is OEM ok? I'm specifically asking for a supercharged setup. My current plan is to replace the front lower arms, tension strut arms, tie rods with OEM since my car is a daily driver.
I did the Rogue Engineering Front Tension Arm Bushings (Street).

Just got it all installed, and, I can report this:

Macht Schnell Solid Aluminum Subframe Mounts - No NVH, car feels better. More "feel" from the rear end.

PowerFlex Purple Differential Bushings - There is a slight differential whine. 80KM/H+, but, it's really not that loud at all. With the radio at even a low volume, it essentially drowns it out.

Rogue Engineering Front Tension Arm Bushings (Street) - No NVH to report of really. I want to say there's a bit more road noise, but, the raod feel is definitely better. But, I also installed Ohlins R&T/GC Street Camber Plates at the same time too.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
azndrunk74
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
I did the Rogue Engineering Front Tension Arm Bushings (Street).

Just got it all installed, and, I can report this:

Macht Schnell Solid Aluminum Subframe Mounts - No NVH, car feels better. More "feel" from the rear end.

PowerFlex Purple Differential Bushings - There is a slight differential whine. 80KM/H+, but, it's really not that loud at all. With the radio at even a low volume, it essentially drowns it out.

Rogue Engineering Front Tension Arm Bushings (Street) - No NVH to report of really. I want to say there's a bit more road noise, but, the raod feel is definitely better. But, I also installed Ohlins R&T/GC Street Camber Plates at the same time too.

appreciate the feedback. look like i'll definitely be going with MS solid subframe bushings and powerflex purple diff bushings. i'm going to stick with new OEM lower control arms/bushings in the front for now.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
i personally love my monoball tension arm bushings. makes the front end feel a bit more sharp.
      02-01-2017, 07:12 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Even new stock front tension arm bushings will make the front end feel better. These are a subtle wear item many people don't notice until they are really bad. They are really a routine replacement item.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 12:19 AM   #15
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
appreciate the feedback. look like i'll definitely be going with MS solid subframe bushings and powerflex purple diff bushings. i'm going to stick with new OEM lower control arms/bushings in the front for now.
It's a great setup. I've driven my wife and family around a few times now, not a single person has mentioned on the whine or anyhting.

That's when I know it passes the test, haha.

That being siad though, I'd just spring for new bushings if I were you. Seems a little moot just to swap back to OEM.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
azndrunk74
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
It's a great setup. I've driven my wife and family around a few times now, not a single person has mentioned on the whine or anyhting.

That's when I know it passes the test, haha.

That being siad though, I'd just spring for new bushings if I were you. Seems a little moot just to swap back to OEM.
i hear you on that - i'm buying all new arms and prefer to have a new ball joint than reuse the ones on my old arms (i don't think there is an aftermarket replacement for those?). i got a lot of stuff will be done in the next month - rod bearings, engine mounts, supercharger, subframe bushings, diff bushings, and possibly bbk. i may spring to have the OEM bushings replaced with monoball in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #17
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Solid aluminum subframe and PowerFlex purple diff is the winning combo, at least on a DCT car.* I consider myself very noise sensitive and this combo is 100% fine for me in all sorts of driving situations (windows up/down, music on/off, or any combo thereof).

I previously had solid aluminum subframe and delrin differential bushings and it had a lot of whine, too much for my taste, at least when cruising in a steady state on the highway.

*Anecdotally, I suspect the 6MT cars can get away with firmer differential bushings without enduring too much whine. I say this because I've ridden in two 6MT cars with solid aluminum subframe and differential bushings and did not find the whine to be as loud as my car with the delrin diff bushings.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #18
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Solid aluminum subframe and PowerFlex purple diff is the winning combo, at least on a DCT car.* I consider myself very noise sensitive and this combo is 100% fine for me in all sorts of driving situations (windows up/down, music on/off, or any combo thereof).

I previously had solid aluminum subframe and delrin differential bushings and it had a lot of whine, too much for my taste, at least when cruising in a steady state on the highway.

*Anecdotally, I suspect the 6MT cars can get away with firmer differential bushings without enduring too much whine. I say this because I've ridden in two 6MT cars with solid aluminum subframe and differential bushings and did not find the whine to be as loud as my car with the delrin diff bushings.
What I like to hear. I went ahead and installed the purples. No reason not to with the subframe out. V2 MPE exhaust being installed should help too.
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #19
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
What I like to hear. I went ahead and installed the purples. No reason not to with the subframe out. V2 MPE exhaust being installed should help too.
Mvez Did the purple diff bushings add noise, after all? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Mvez Did the purple diff bushings add noise, after all? TIA.
Did for me.
Appreciate 1
buddalun678.00
      12-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #21
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteckba View Post
Did for me.
Would you have gone with OE diff bushings, if you were to do it again?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I used red poly 75D subframe and black poly 95A diff bushings and can hear minor whine in the 65-75 mph range in top gear on the highway. It’s tolerable. I wanted stiffer diff bushings because some have broken a diff mounting bolt or even the diff rear cover or subframe due to excessive diff movement.

Last edited by pbonsalb; 12-04-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0