BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Test Pipes vs Mid pipe vs Rear Section HP gains

Hey guys, so I don't really understand how many different parts to this exhaust there are. And there are like 3 cats as well? Not sure...

All I know is it's way more complicated than my old car's axle back and cat back. So hopefully someone can help me out!

What are the hp gains to be had from modifying these 3 parts and what combination of the 3 would give the biggest gains? Keeping the price to a minimum.

Also, under consideration, which would keep the sound levels low? I've seen a few people change out the midpipe in videos with the stock exhaust and it sounds like a bee's nest!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Some exhausts might not give this much but it should be close enough.

Full exhaust around +28 whp
Tune + full exhaust from +40-45 depending on the octane you have available.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

There are a total of 4 cats, 2 (400cells) near the front section just after the headers, 2 (200 cells) just before the X-pipe portion and (2 resonators) just after the x-pipe section. Andrew@Active covered the rest. Here is a picture, the exhaust system starts on the right side of the picture. VVVVV

Your cheapest route would to replace the 400 cells with test pipes and install a tune. Here is a picture with the test pipes (left side). VVVVV

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

/\/\ whats before the "tuning" in the last picture?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
momo3605
Major
Rep

Thanks STI_traitor (nice name)

So how much less power would you get from just doing test pipes and tune? Compared with full exhaust and tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
Thanks STI_traitor (nice name)

So how much less power would you get from just doing test pipes and tune? Compared with full exhaust and tune?
From what Ive gathered test pipes + tune is about 30whp. Full exhaust + tune is about 35-40whp.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Paul@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMWs

Sounds about right, probably a bit more with the full exhaust.

Full exhaust sound for max power sounds a bit like this (only video we have at the moment of the F1 race exhaust)... loud but, wow, ...

[u2b]_0tQ0lCvObY#![/u2b]

We also do packages of Evolve ECU tune and Supersprint exhaust so let me know if you are interested and we can see if there is a specific dyno run we've done with that setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

THREAD JACK: REVIVED
Hey guys quick question. This Mid-August I'm planning on getting a rear section exhaust, gintani race to be exact. However I'm not planning on changing the mid-pipe.

Also from my understanding there are two alternatives for the mid pipe; convert stock into test pipes or purchase an after market mid-pipe. What are the differences? I'm assuming these are similar to the suspension where springs are the cheaper alternative (test pipes) and coilovers are the more expensive quality (after market mid-pipe)

The reason I don't want to change the mid pipe is because I do not want to pollute the air anymore than it already is, and secondly I don't want any trouble from the 5-0.

So my question is, is it worth even upgrading the rear section exhaust to a after market one without changing the mid pipe?
      08-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
THREAD JACK: REVIVED
Hey guys quick question. This Mid-August I'm planning on getting a rear section exhaust, gintani race to be exact. However I'm not planning on changing the mid-pipe.

Also from my understanding there are two alternatives for the mid pipe; convert stock into test pipes or purchase an after market mid-pipe. What are the differences? I'm assuming these are similar to the suspension where springs are the cheaper alternative (test pipes) and coilovers are the more expensive quality (after market mid-pipe)

The reason I don't want to change the mid pipe is because I do not want to pollute the air anymore than it already is, and secondly I don't want any trouble from the 5-0.

So my question is, is it worth even upgrading the rear section exhaust to a after market one without changing the mid pipe?
For sound...absolutely worth it. For power boost... you will see little to none with a stock mid section. The restriction is not the rear section but all the cats (4) the stock midsection has.

Sounds like you should just get a rear section and call it a day. The dramatic sound improvement will have you believeing your car is now faster
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Mild Exhaust+Stock Xpipe = Some Sound Increase, but no Power increase
Mild Exhaust+Test pipes (Or primary delete Xpipe) = Some sound Increase, Some Power Increase
Mild Exhaust+Sport Xpipe(HFC) = A Tad more Sound Increase, Some Power Increase

Mild Exhaust+Catless Xpipe = Most Sound increase for that Exhaust, Most Power Increase

Replace Mild exhaust with the Axle back of your choosing to get desired sound level.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
momo3605
Major
Rep

Yea, depends on what you want. Just for sound, do the rear section. Test pipes will get you about 80% of the possible power, and catless Xpipe will get you all the way (but with way too much sound if you ask me haha)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Mild Exhaust+Test pipes (Or primary delete Xpipe) = Some sound Increase, Some Power Increase

Mild Exhaust+Catless Xpipe = Most Sound increase for that Exhaust, Most Power Increase

Replace Mild exhaust with the Axle back of your choosing to get desired sound level.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Yea, depends on what you want. Just for sound, do the rear section. Test pipes will get you about 80% of the possible power, and catless Xpipe will get you all the way (but with way too much sound if you ask me haha)
Thanks for the info, now does deleting the primary cats pass emissions of California? And does it carry that smell?

Because right now I'm debating whether I should get the Gintani Race or Sport rear section. I want to be able to hear it in the cabin, so that's why I'm leaning over towards the race side
      08-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, now does deleting the primary cats pass emissions of California? And does it carry that smell?

Because right now I'm debating whether I should get the Gintani Race or Sport rear section. I want to be able to hear it in the cabin, so that's why I'm leaning over towards the race side
from what I've read and the reason I am getting them is that the smell won't be too bad with just the primary cats deleted. As for passing, I think not. But I've never read any posts on anyone getting a REF ticket on here - plenty from evo forums.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3
Quote:

Quote:

Deleting your cats does not pass emissions in California. Even high flow high quality cats in a mid pipe like in the Akra Evo would not pass California's emissions.

Also, I was told the other day that it is a $2500 fine if you run catless in CA.
      08-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Deleting your cats does not pass emissions in California. Even high flow high quality cats in a mid pipe like in the Akra Evo would not pass California's emissions.

Also, I was told the other day that it is a $2500 fine if you run catless in CA.
Quote:

Yea, you won't pass smog, but you have 6 years from buying the car to worrying about that . And cops aren't going to check for cats on a high end luxury car. Also, there is hardly any smell with just test pipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Thinking about a rear section with test pipes.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post

Quote:
Yea, you won't pass smog, but you have 6 years from buying the car to worrying about that . And cops aren't going to check for cats on a high end luxury car. Also, there is hardly any smell with just test pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Thinking about a rear section with test pipes.

And if I were to convert my stock midpipe to test pipes I would get a CEL error correct which I would need to get coded for?
      08-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
SlashM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3 interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3
Quote:

Quote:

So why can't u get. Test pipes. And cut. The cats. And gain full power?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashM3 View Post
So why can't u get. Test pipes. And cut. The cats. And gain full power?
Well then you have a catless x pipe

Haha, but yea, I guess that would just be cutting all the cats out of the stock x pipe. I dunno how that would fare power-wise
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

What's the difference between test pipes & xpipes in terms of cats, power, smell & sound?
Are test pipes headers back (ie deletes all the cats?) From what I understand HFC gets you most of the power with no smell, which I think is great for daily drivers

I'd like to get the extra power but I don't want it to smell or drone or be race loud, so I was thinking a challenge xpipe and a dinan or OEM mod rear. It also has to be bolt-on & easy to go back to stock.
I hear test pipes require cutting stuff & so does the challenge street xpipe.

any experts care to chime in? TIYA
      08-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
And if I were to convert my stock midpipe to test pipes I would get a CEL error correct which I would need to get coded for?
That's my understanding. Also think you won't pass emissions with testpipes as from what I understand, it deletes all the cats rather than high flow. It's also harder to go back to stock, if say you want to swap it out to pass the test then go back.
thnx for this thread btw, I'm having a very hard time choosing as well.