BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

10-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
carlfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Wouldn't hurt to ask. They might good-will part of it. I'd just tell you to do the plugs yourself, it's pretty easy if you have basic mechanical know-how.
Thanks for the quick reply. I do have basic mechanical ability. I can do oil changes for instance. I guess I can have them do the diff fluid since I've read that the car need to raised and level. Although someone told me that I could even do it by simply reaching under the car without lifting it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoc11 View Post
Looks like they didn't reset the service indicator...I have 32K on my 08 and the only service I needed was the Spark plugs, Diff fluid and oil change it was done for free before the warranty expired no lights no warning. Never trust the dealer!
My warranty expired 2 weeks ago exactly, and my car only has 22k miles (2009). Right before it had expired I took my car for some work and I asked my advisor if he could get anything that needed to be done cleared away for me (like fluids, etc..). He says, "no, you're perfect, nothing is due for a while).

Yesterday (2 weeks later 200 miles ago) he tells me that I need to do the Spark plugs, oil change and diff fluid. Do you think I have a valid argument if I speak with management about getting it done for free? I think they have done all of this 200 miles ago when I was still under warranty. I've doing business with this dealership (and have purchased all my bmw's) with them since 1998.
You got shafted. Trust me I know. Go complain.
      10-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
The only real way to clean injectors is to remove them and send them out for ultrasonic cleaning and flow balancing. Don't waste your dough with the dealer either using an in-tank solution or directly into the fuel rail.
I agree. If your car has seen decent gas its whole life (probable, since the car needs a minimum of 91), you shouldn't ever need any serious cleaning. The fuel injector cleaners usually contain a few other compounds like upper cylinder lubes. The active ingredient, PEA, can help clear out some assorted crap in other parts of the motor too. It's a maintenance thing, not an atomic bomb.
      10-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Of course you should ask the management. They could have done it 2 weeks before. Mine was done around 25k without even asking, I got new spark plugs, Diff fluid change and they even gave me a new battery for free. It looks like some dealers are willing to work with customers more than others. If they tell you no get the service done at independent shop it will be much less than the stealers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfan View Post
My warranty expired 2 weeks ago exactly, and my car only has 22k miles (2009). Right before it had expired I took my car for some work and I asked my advisor if he could get anything that needed to be done cleared away for me (like fluids, etc..). He says, "no, you're perfect, nothing is due for a while).

Yesterday (2 weeks later 200 miles ago) he tells me that I need to do the Spark plugs, oil change and diff fluid. Do you think I have a valid argument if I speak with management about getting it done for free? I think they have done all of this 200 miles ago when I was still under warranty. I've doing business with this dealership (and have purchased all my bmw's) with them since 1998.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
Buy some Techron for $ 12 at an auto store and do it yourself.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #28
Sirius Black
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
I have used the Chevron Techron Full Fuel System cleaner often. It has never caused any issues, and I do notice a difference after about 100 miles on that tank of fuel. I use it about every 5k miles.
      03-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #29
BaseM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Black View Post
I have used the Chevron Techron Full Fuel System cleaner often. It has never caused any issues, and I do notice a difference after about 100 miles on that tank of fuel. I use it about every 5k miles.
I first started using Techron back in the mid eighties when BMW announced a recall for walnut blasting on my 318i for carbon on the valves. BMW blamed it on the gas. Back then i used Techron about every other tank full and changed the oil every 3K. Got 250K miles on that 4 banger by the way.
I stopped using it a few years later after I noticed that my oil was continually much dirtier after using it than not. This was known fact in the forums then.
I don't know if this was because of the carbon being removed and deposited in the crankcase or not. Never had any carbon issues after I stopped using it though.
I didn't Use Blackstone oil analysis back then. It would be interesting to use an analysis before and after to check the state of the oil to determine if it has an effect on oil life.
      03-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #30
Sirius Black
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseM3 View Post
I first started using Techron back in the mid eighties when BMW announced a recall for walnut blasting on my 318i for carbon on the valves. BMW blamed it on the gas. Back then i used Techron about every other tank full and changed the oil every 3K. Got 250K miles on that 4 banger by the way.
I stopped using it a few years later after I noticed that my oil was continually much dirtier after using it than not. This was known fact in the forums then.
I don't know if this was because of the carbon being removed and deposited in the crankcase or not. Never had any carbon issues after I stopped using it though.
I didn't Use Blackstone oil analysis back then. It would be interesting to use an analysis before and after to check the state of the oil to determine if it has an effect on oil life.
With the SC kit my oil never sees more than 5k miles anyway.
      03-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #31
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Those services are unnecessary on a car that's already getting premium fuel. If the car had 200k, then yeah, maybe it would be worthwhile.

It's a big upsell service. They probably make a fat profit on it.

If you want, pour a bottle of Techron Concentrate (BMW relabels it even), Gumout Regane, Amsoil PI, or Red Line SI-1 in the tank. I do it with every oil change.
      03-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
Buy some Techron for $ 12 at an auto store and do it yourself.
yup same thing dealers is gonna do
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #33
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Lax View Post
yup same thing dealers is gonna do

No, the dealer is probably doing something much more complex: hooking up a machine that blasts a special cleaning solution through, such as the BG44K Induction Service.
      03-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #34
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
No, the dealer is probably doing something much more complex: hooking up a machine that blasts a special cleaning solution through, such as the BG44K Induction Service.
BMW is going to charge a whole lot more for that. All BMW does is pour techron in your tank.
Appreciate 0