BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #45
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

^^^^ thanks for the informative post.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #46
SpdRacerTO
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/BLK E92 M3, 6Sp

I too have noticed this knock/ping type sound on my 08 E92 that I picked up about 6 months ago. Light load, heavy throttle application (60-80% throttle in a lower gear, at around 2-3000rpm). It doesn't seem to change at all with the type of gas I fill up with. I'm scheduled for an oil change soon and will get them to take a look, but I'm expecting them not to hear anything. Should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #47
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

This car has a noisy valve train..what is being described here doesnt sound like knock..the ECU is very careful to pull timing to avoid knock conditions and if you are stock will almost certainly not happen (assuming you are using proper octane)

I have this noise and other e92 M3s I have been in do too.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

WOW old ass thread... well ill bite...

i had the knock since day 1... then after reading several thread it wasnt a problem at all... the dealer told me it was my clutch and its normal...

never had an engine knock...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
SpdRacerTO
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/BLK E92 M3, 6Sp

Ya, I sorta brushed it off s "normal" noises from the valvetrain/engine. Its hard to isolate and doesn't scream to me that's its a "bad" sound... So I'm not terribly concerned. It does, to my ear, sounds like a bit of knock even though that seems quite unlikely. So perhaps the tight tolerences, and right conditions can emulate this sound. Either way, the car pulls strong and doesn't exhibit any other sounds that have caught my ear.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #50
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I dont live in the USA and funny you mention SHELL as a culpret. Over here in South Africa SHELL is def the best feul, we have 95 over here. I experience knokking/ pinging or pre- ignition alot at high loads at low revs below 2500rpm. However in my feulcap it says min octane 98. When I feul her up with 98 racing feul knokking is absolutely gone and plenty more performance and responce. Try this and see if it works. VP racing feuls are brilliant!! USA product sure there are others!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #51
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
I have a vibration around 2k rpm to 2.5k... Sounds like coming from under the shifter glove. Doesn't effect performance at all but sounds a tiny bit annoying. Like a metal sound.

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #52
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep

Ps. Have experienced a huge problem with BP feul over here and my experience is this motor is very sensitive to feul!
Never had this problem with my 335 or M5
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #53
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325
I have a vibration around 2k rpm to 2.5k... Sounds like coming from under the shifter glove. Doesn't effect performance at all but sounds a tiny bit annoying. Like a metal sound.
Could be knokking try higher octane feul at least a tank full obviously unleadded
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #54
m3an
Banned
Rep

thanks for all the replies; I def know what knocking sounds like, and it's def a light ping under initial tip in of throttle but only if the car is kinda being lugged around (low rpm, higher gear). The performance doesn't seem off at all, and I mention fuel as a possible culprit as others have also before. I def don't think it's fuel related, moreso igntion; possibly timing. But this car now has the crazy knock detection system on the spark plugs so that's why I think it could poss be timing related. That being said, yes these cars are very noisy. My e46 sounded like a sewing machine, but always ran great. I suspect all M cars make noise, and maybe my ears are more sensitive that others (i have build and blown up many cars, lol) but this noise almost def sounds out of the ordinary compared to the typical M sewing machine/chainsaw rasp
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #55
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriansideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325
Could be knokking try higher octane feul at least a tank full obviously unleadded
BP 93 octane, always a full tank

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #56
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
thanks for all the replies; I def know what knocking sounds like, and it's def a light ping under initial tip in of throttle but only if the car is kinda being lugged around (low rpm, higher gear). The performance doesn't seem off at all, and I mention fuel as a possible culprit as others have also before. I def don't think it's fuel related, moreso igntion; possibly timing. But this car now has the crazy knock detection system on the spark plugs so that's why I think it could poss be timing related. That being said, yes these cars are very noisy. My e46 sounded like a sewing machine, but always ran great. I suspect all M cars make noise, and maybe my ears are more sensitive that others (i have build and blown up many cars, lol) but this noise almost def sounds out of the ordinary compared to the typical M sewing machine/chainsaw rasp
I know exactly what you're talking about and this has been bugging me for two years now ever since I bought my first US M3. I've previously had several E92s and an E46 in Europe and never had this sort of issue before.

At first I put it down to running on 91 octane fuel (in California). However, my dealer has looked into this twice and not found an issue.

The symptoms are as you describe - if you are in a lowish gear, around 3K rpm and suddenly put in a reasonable amount of extra throttle you get a couple of seconds of metallic pinging / ratchet sort of noise before the car really starts to pick up. This happens more often on an uphill slope.

I realize the car is intended to be driven above 4Krpm most of the time, and the correct answer is to downshift - but this seems really soggy for such an expensive car. I haven't had to worry about this sort of thing since I drove a 650cc Fiat 126 in my teenage years!

I recently got an ESS tune, tailored to 91 octane to see if it improved the situation, but it made no difference. Perhaps I should have gone to Mike Benvo?

I was wondering if the noise might be something to do with the VANOS unit suddenly having to make a large timing adjustment? Is this even plausible? If it was knocking/pinging, would this be something that would be logged and you could read out from the ECU ?

I run my M3 almost exclusively on V-Power (as I did back in the UK) - and am quite worried by the comments in this thread about fuel quality. I guess I will try using Chevron or 76 for a while and see if it improves the situation.

If anybody else has managed to cure this issue I'd love to know.

Paul

Last edited by pbar; 11-12-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #57
DBH
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92

This is your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAFP View Post
1.0 Engine
The new S65B40 V8 engine is a high performance engine designed and built to exacting BMW Motorsport tolerances which take into account the high performance nature of this engine.
The new S65B40 V8 engine has the following characteristic sounds which dealers need to be aware of.

1.1 Knocking type sound at idle
When the engine is at normal operating temperature and depending upon the accessory loads on the engine it is possible a low frequency knocking type noise may be heard in the car. This noise is a characteristic of the engine and is not an indication that there is a defect with the engine. In the event that you receive an inquiry about this noise it is important to reassure the customer that this
noise is a characteristic of this engine. The noise in no way affects the durability of the engine and will not lead to a failure of engine components.

1.2 Resonance at 2,000 rpm under load
The M3 has a characteristic resonance which occurs in a narrow rpm and load band. The resonance is directly related to the performance characteristics of the M3 engine and in keeping with the performance nature of the vehicle.
The driving conditions under which this resonance will be heard:
• Engine speed = 2,000 rpm
• Vehicle speed = approx 70-80 km
• Gear selected = 5th gear
• Road conditions = moderate incline

The resonance band is very narrow and can easily be avoided by reducing the load on the engine or bychanging down or up a gear depending upon the driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #58
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I don't think that is the answer. I definitely have some knocking/pinging just like he describes also. It's not any kind of resonance, it's your classic metallic detonation sound.
      11-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #59
Amri215
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

I think we have learned a few things about these cars in the four years since this thread was created

No you wouldnt hear anything, this isnt an old beater where you would "hear" knock, the anti-knock sensors would prompt the ECU to pull timing, period.

Any noises you describe are unrelated to knock
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I don't think that is the answer. I definitely have some knocking/pinging just like he describes also. It's not any kind of resonance, it's your classic metallic detonation sound.
Yes, I saw that post when I first read this thread but neither of the descriptions seem anything like what I'm hearing unless the term 'resonance' is being used in a non-standard way. The noise I'm hearing is not a narrow-band frequency-related vibration or oscillation which goes away as the frequency changes. (In fact my car *does* have a slight exhaust system resonance at exactly 2700rpm - and this goes away with a small variation in revs as expected).

The issue I'm referring to *sounds* like your classic pinking- but I wouldn't expect if from a modern engine like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #61
S65B40V8
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

OK, how about this: any chance it's the intake resonance sound? This engine has a very distinct intake resonance in the 3-4k RPM range at say 70-100% throttle. I would describe it almost as a tearing cloth sound but could also be described as a knocking sound. BTW, I love that sound -- to bad it is only heard in a narrow RPM band.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #62
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65B40V8 View Post
OK, how about this: any chance it's the intake resonance sound? This engine has a very distinct intake resonance in the 3-4k RPM range at say 70-100% throttle. I would describe it almost as a tearing cloth sound but could also be described as a knocking sound. BTW, I love that sound -- to bad it is only heard in a narrow RPM band.
No, it has been discussed before and it def resembles a typical engine knock. The intake noise is something diff.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #63
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
This is your answer: This is your answer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKAFP

1.0 Engine
The new S65B40 V8 engine is a high performance engine designed and built to exacting BMW Motorsport tolerances which take into account the high performance nature of this engine.
The new S65B40 V8 engine has the following characteristic sounds which dealers need to be aware of.

1.1 Knocking type sound at idle
When the engine is at normal operating temperature and depending upon the accessory loads on the engine it is possible a low frequency knocking type noise may be heard in the car. This noise is a characteristic of the engine and is not an indication that there is a defect with the engine. In the event that you receive an inquiry about this noise it is important to reassure the customer that this
noise is a characteristic of this engine. The noise in no way affects the durability of the engine and will not lead to a failure of engine components.

1.2 Resonance at 2,000 rpm under load
The M3 has a characteristic resonance which occurs in a narrow rpm and load band. The resonance is directly related to the performance characteristics of the M3 engine and in keeping with the performance nature of the vehicle.
The driving conditions under which this resonance will be heard:
• Engine speed = 2,000 rpm
• Vehicle speed = approx 70-80 km
• Gear selected = 5th gear
• Road conditions = moderate incline

The resonance band is very narrow and can easily be avoided by reducing the load on the engine or bychanging down or up a gear depending upon the driving conditions.

I think this is the only real explanation, but again it is a little vague as it leads the topic stating "at idle" but I agree this is prob right and just us M owners being crazy over every little noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #64
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65B40V8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
I think this is the only real explanation, but again it is a little vague as it leads the topic stating "at idle" but I agree this is prob right and just us M owners being crazy over every little noise.
It's not any type of resonance though (as decribed in 1.2).

11-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #65
pbar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I run my M3 almost exclusively on V-Power (as I did back in the UK) - and am quite worried by the comments in this thread about fuel quality. I guess I will try using Chevron or 76 for a while and see if it improves the situation.
Based on some of the comments about Shell fuel earlier in this thread, I decided to experiment with different fuel. I ran my tank to almost empty and filled up with Chevron Supreme 91 octane.

All I can say is *WOW*!

Within a day the car was a completely different animal. I can now put my foot to the floor in 2nd or 3rd gear at 2000rpm and I get *no* funny pinging noises whatsoever. It just pulls, smoothly, even up an incline.

I didn't really want to believe this, since I've been putting up with this issue for over 2 years - but even the girlfriend has noticed that the 'funny tinkling noises have gone away'

Anyway - I don't know why this made a difference, but I'm very happy and posting this in case it works for somebody else.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #66
tl351698
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F82 & 2015 AW F31

Garage List
2013 Toyota Tundra  [0.00]
2015 F31  [0.00]
2015 F82  [0.00]
1st post here, picking up my 1st e92 on the 29th! something to consider when choosing gas stations though: I've ridden street bikes for several years...I always filled up with premium gas at stations that have a dedicated fuel line/hose for each type of octane level (as opposed to one hose for all types). This is especially important in a motorcycle (3.5 or 4 gallon tank). If the person in front of you bought the low octane, there could be ~ a gallon of 85 or 87 octane in the hose that you would be pumping into your tank before the premium would start making it into your tank....now 1 gallon in a 16 gallon tank might not be much, but it could be the difference...
Appreciate 0