BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #67
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i wish i had that issue. stiff is good usually.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #68
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

that being said i run comfort on the track. seems to give me better control since Pacific Raceways is fairly rough and with it stiffer i unsettle the car more.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #69
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Considering the car is new, I think one poster already hit this thing on the head. It's probably the factory bumpstops for when these cars are delivered.

If you think the ride is harsh or too hard, you are not experience M3 settings...expecially not in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #70
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
Of course a certain amount of sidewall flex is needed - but the question is HOW MUCH? There is an optimum slip angle for max grip which depends on ALOT of things. The type of tires you're running (slicks, r-comps, streets have VERY different optimum slip angles). Also your alignment, weight, suspension, geometry will all matter. Just because you threw out a race car example doesn't make much of a point.

I have first-hand clinical results - running 18's versus 19's back to the back on the same car, same day with same alignment and same rubber I was able to shave off almost 4 seconds at road atlanta - thats what I have to report from experience from MY car - I don't speak for all.
If you attribute the difference between 18s and 19s for a 4 second gain per lap, you've lost all credibility. Even if 19s were a better performance option (they aren't), they would never gain 4 seconds a lap in an apples to apples comparison. I'd be damned impressed if the stock 19s gained 1 second over the stock 18s. And it would almost certainly be attributable to differences in hot tire pressures.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #71
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
If you attribute the difference between 18s and 19s for a 4 second gain per lap, you've lost all credibility. Even if 19s were a better performance option (they aren't), they would never gain 4 seconds a lap in an apples to apples comparison. I'd be damned impressed if the stock 19s gained 1 second over the stock 18s. And it would almost certainly be attributable to differences in hot tire pressures.
If you read the thread I referenced it had all the details - not just the wheel size. 18's were 275/35/18 fronts, 285/35/18 rears. 19's were 275/30/19 fronts, 295/30/19 rears. I'd been running with the 18's on two other tracks beforehand and I ran them hard, pushing to the limits, learning the optimum temps that they liked. Then I switched to the 19's for the first time and rocked my lap time. I myself was shocked to say the least. The car felt very different. The wheel size of the 18's were 18x10 all around and they weighed 20 pounds each. The 19's were zcp's that were 19x9 fronts and 19x10 rears that weighed about 26 pounds each. Sure the wheels are a bit smaler for the rubber used on the 19's but gave the car so much more grip. I noticed on the PSS's the 19 rubbers sat much more square than the 18's which actually had a lot more stretch to them.

As you said there are lots of variables to consider but bottom line I was able to turn faster times at road atlanta with 19's even with greater rotation mass.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #72
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Its sad to see M cars ARE becoming status cars!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #73
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
they are? i thought they were track stars.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #74
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
they are? i thought they were track stars.
I believe they are Black Tars. Crack-Jars? Mack-Cars?

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #75
ASENNA
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine White 2011

Went to the dealer yesterday and the salesperson said his first thought was that it could be the shipping blocks. Over came the technical guys who quickly dismissed that idea, insisting someone would have noticed when preparing the car for delivery. The technical manager then drove the car with me around town and remarked that it was "normal". Never mind extra panty cushion, this guy thought I needed huggies and a bib. He then checked tire pressures and informed me that the fronts had been inflated past recommended maximum, and this was the likely cause of vibration. He lowered all pressures to minimum. I remained dubious until I did my daily drive, which was much better. It's still not ideal, I may end up tinkering with things, but am much happier. Thanks to Ateam and others for your suggestions. The most irritating thing now is having to obey the speed limit.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #76
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASENNA View Post
Went to the dealer yesterday and the salesperson said his first thought was that it could be the shipping blocks. Over came the technical guys who quickly dismissed that idea, insisting someone would have noticed when preparing the car for delivery. The technical manager then drove the car with me around town and remarked that it was "normal". Never mind extra panty cushion, this guy thought I needed huggies and a bib. He then checked tire pressures and informed me that the fronts had been inflated past recommended maximum, and this was the likely cause of vibration. He lowered all pressures to minimum. I remained dubious until I did my daily drive, which was much better. It's still not ideal, I may end up tinkering with things, but am much happier. Thanks to Ateam and others for your suggestions. The most irritating thing now is having to obey the speed limit.
Well, hopefully the ride won't be so bad now and the vibrations will stop. Good luck with the speed limit thing...I don't have that problem withe the autobahn

BTW, let's try to keep this thread on topic. It's about the performance relationship between 18 and 19 inch tires now...or whatever it is everyone is arguing about.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #77
ASENNA
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine White 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Well, hopefully the ride won't be so bad now and the vibrations will stop. Good luck with the speed limit thing...I don't have that problem withe the autobahn

BTW, let's try to keep this thread on topic. It's about the performance relationship between 18 and 19 inch tires now...or whatever it is everyone is arguing about.
Appreciate 0