BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
nockie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550i

BMW Apps Does Not Work in M3?

I took my car in the past week for the 1200 mile service. Since I bought the car, the BMW Apps never worked. I would plug in my iPhone 4 into the cradle and the BMW Apps would not work. In addition, the cradle would continually charge the phone for a few seconds and then stop charging and then charge again.

The dealership kept my car for 6 days. They spoke to BMW engineers. They claim that they replaced the cradle and the piece that connects the cradle to the car. Yesterday the called me up and told me that the BMW apps was working.

When I went to pick up my car, the same issue happened. BMW Apps would work for a few seconds and then stop working (and the cradle would stop charging the phone). A salesman's phone at the dealership didn't work either. I was not happy.

My dad has a 2012 750i with BMW Apps and I took my cradle and my phone and plugged it into his car this morning. It worked flawlessly. I called about the dealership and my SA told me that the "750i has different software" and there is a problem having the M3 work with BMW Apps.

My car is correctly equipped with BMW Apps and Smartphone integration. My question to all of you, can you confirm you are using BMW Apps with an iPhone 4 connected to an iPhone 4 cradle in your M3? If you are, then the dealership has no idea what they are doing. What should I do? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
nockie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Also, is anyone aware of any new software updates for Connected Drive? I doubt it's a software issue though because of the constant charging cycles. It's almost like there is a wire loose that connects the power to the charger.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

What happens when the cradle is not used? As in running BMW Apps from the USB port?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
diablito
motorist
Peru
Rep
Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I think in order for the BMW connected application to work you need to get the Y cable or the phone tray. it does not work with the white apple cable and is not an application that works though the combox like Pandora or the others.

sorry I miss read your post, you already have a tray. may want to try the Y cable??
      07-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
nockie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What happens when the cradle is not used? As in running BMW Apps from the USB port?
Amazing. After you posted this I went into my car with my white iPhone cable and it works through USB. I called up the SA and told her and she said that there is no wire issues with the cradle because they tested all the grounds going into it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablito View Post
I think in order for the BMW connected application to work you need to get the Y cable or the phone tray. it does not work with the white apple cable and is not an application that works though the combox like Pandora or the others.

sorry I miss read your post, you already have a tray. may want to try the Y cable??
The OP is talking about BMW Apps.

BMW Apps = Combox
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

I have an M3 with BMW Apps and I'm using the iPhone 4 adapter with a part number of 84212218390 and it works fine. Make sure you have the correct adapter! I mistakenly ordered one first with a part number of 84212199389 and it did not work! The correct adapter runs about $250 retail and the one that does not work runs roughly $150.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
diablito
motorist
Peru
Rep
Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:

BMW Apps = Combox
I though BMW apps meant the applications you get to use when you download the BMW connected application and I thought combox was the system which allowed you to transfer data via Bluetooth to the system with out using a cable and that is why any BMW that comes with combox does not include a Y cable any longer

07-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablito View Post
I though BMW apps meant the applications you get to use when you download the BMW connected application and I thought combox was the system which allowed you to transfer data via Bluetooth to the system with out using a cable and that is why any BMW that comes with combox does not include a Y cable any longer

The Combox uses the Apple USB cable for the iPhone/iPod, that's the reason of not requiring the "old" OEM iPod cable anymore.

BMW Apps use the USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nockie View Post
Amazing. After you posted this I went into my car with my white iPhone cable and it works through USB. I called up the SA and told her and she said that there is no wire issues with the cradle because they tested all the grounds going into it.
maybe call SA and tell her that there very clearly is problems with it as you clearly found a solution. at very least request they buy you an additional cable
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
bohdistava
e46 convert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 conv

got the same problem

i leaning towards software issue, tried my phone and cradle in other cars works fine. i guess not enough people using this option (media cradle+apps)in the newest m3 that we have not heard about the problem and white cable works fine but no video
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I have the same problem too! Very frustrating. I have a verizon iphone 4, i launch pandora or bmw connected and it works for maybe a minute, then it disconnects and reconnects after another minute and this just repeats over and over. Maybe the cradle just doesn't work right with the m3? I'm mad! Option + cradle = $500 and it doesn't work!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
Tonifyd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 JB E90M3 6MT

I have the cradle, and BMW apps. I use mine mostly for mp3s and video on the iphone.
Make sure you have the media cradle, and not the music cradle.
Tell them to give you a new cradle. When you do so, make sure you take out your old one, so they won't just say they replaced it, even though they haven't even touched it.
Take it to a different car on display and try it there.
Which app exactly are you trying to use?
Pandora, MP3s, and charging should work without the cradle.
The only apps that require the cradle are iphone video, web radio, facebook and twitter.
Web radio, and I think facebook and twitter, you need the connected drive app loaded on your iphone.
      08-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonifyd View Post
I have the cradle, and BMW apps. I use mine mostly for mp3s and video on the iphone.
Make sure you have the media cradle, and not the music cradle.
Tell them to give you a new cradle. When you do so, make sure you take out your old one, so they won't just say they replaced it, even though they haven't even touched it.
Take it to a different car on display and try it there.
Which app exactly are you trying to use?
Pandora, MP3s, and charging should work without the cradle.
The only apps that require the cradle are iphone video, web radio, facebook and twitter.
Web radio, and I think facebook and twitter, you need the connected drive app loaded on your iphone.
Agreed, the OP's cradle is not for BMW Apps.

On the other hand, iPod Out (video) is the only BMW Apps feature dependent of the cradle. Web Radio, Pandora, Calendar, Facebook and Twitter are accessible without the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
I have the same problem too! Very frustrating. I have a verizon iphone 4, i launch pandora or bmw connected and it works for maybe a minute, then it disconnects and reconnects after another minute and this just repeats over and over. Maybe the cradle just doesn't work right with the m3? I'm mad! Option + cradle = $500 and it doesn't work!
You may have a wrong/defective cradle as well. Do the same test as the OP -connect the iPhone directly to the USB port- and check that BMW Apps at least works from the port.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Agreed, the OP's cradle is not for BMW Apps.

On the other hand, iPod Out (video) is the only BMW Apps feature dependent of the cradle. Web Radio, Pandora, Calendar, Facebook and Twitter are accessible without the cradle.
I do have the correct cradle, it is the $255 6NR Media Cradle. As I said, it does work, but only for a minute. I'll try out just using the normal cable when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
I do have the correct cradle, it is the $255 6NR Media Cradle. As I said, it does work, but only for a minute. I'll try out just using the normal cable when I get home.
If the cradle works in another car with 6NR and your BMW Apps works 100% from your USB port directly then your baseplate is defective.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #18
M4 Cab
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I have really enjoyed Pandora & the apps. The only issue I have had is when I have hooked up a Classic IPOD 30 gb at the same time. Even 8gb flash drives work better. It just freezes up the USB connection. Anyone else with similar issues? I bought my IPhone 4 adapter for $200 from an Atlanta BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
dave6408
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M

Having same problem. Picked up E90 M3 monday at the Performance Center. My IPhone 4 cradle arrived today from my SA in California. It snaps in snugly. The Verizon phone snaps in snugly. The charge symbol comes on and then I see recognition of my phone and songs on the console screen. But that lasts about 10 seconds. Then it turns off and recycles about every 10 seconds. It seems like it's more than a connection problem. Can go to the cable but after dropping 150 on it, it would be nice to have it work. Have you had them exchange cradles to see if simply defective?

Last edited by dave6408; 09-01-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:

BMW Apps = Combox
Not true. Combox was available before BMW Apps and has become standard as of 9/10 production. BMW Apps is a separate feature and is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohdistava View Post
i leaning towards software issue, tried my phone and cradle in other cars works fine. i guess not enough people using this option (media cradle+apps)in the newest m3 that we have not heard about the problem and white cable works fine but no video
I have an M3 and my Media cradle works fine (Pandora and charging all work reliably for long periods of time) EXCEPT that video playback and iPod Out don't work. They worked when I initially got the car and I went a couple months without ever trying it again, only to find it broken -- but my phone and my cradle work in other 6NR cars. I assumed that the rear view camera I installed might have broken it somehow, and the dealership tells me that must be it too because they claim that they validated the baseplate, but now I'm not so sure.

I had V41 software and they updated me to V42, no change in behavior though. Keep me posted as I'm now definitely interested in this.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-01-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Where is apps? In connected drive all i see is Internet? I am using the snap in adaptor.

Also my cover art doesn't display when using the cradle but does when I use the USB + Line in AUX port centre console?
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #22
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If you have USB+Line In, you don't have Combox, which is what allows album art. That was introduced as new standard equipment as of 9/10 production. BMW Apps became available as a new OPTION starting 3/11 production.
I picked my car up 4 days ago I ticked every option incl. extended connectivity + internet...

As stated I do get album art when using the BMW cable, just not on the snap in.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0