BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

Talking Coming into the M world :D mods list help

Hey guys

I don't want to get into another stupid 335i vs M3 battle that this forum has seen far too many times, but i have a 335i, and I'm loving the FI.

Firstly
I'm planning on moving up to a e92 m3 soon, and if anyone has moved from these cars, or can advise me on the following question.

Do you find the lack of torque on the m3 to be a problem? I love how even on a stock 335i its still so punchy when the turbos spool up. And I'm afraid ill loose this pleasure when driving the M3? Or does the sheer HP compensate and you don't really think about it? (odd question sorry )

Secondly
Just wanted a quick bit of advise from the members here regarding my future M3 mods that ill get when I get the car in a few months time.

If anyone can advise on the relationship between these mods and weather anything interferes or doesn't work well.

Here goes (and I'm a bit of a fan of upgrading handling mods prior to performance, i see no point in churning up extra HP and TQ without the handling mods to keep the car glued to the road)

Dinan LSD
Dinan Underdrive Pulley
H&R lowering springs

Eisenmann Race
Challenge Race X pipe
Aquamist HFS-4 PWM meth kit (just released)

But am unsure about the tune to complement it? Im open to anything really, Dinan, AA, ESS, Procede, COBB etc

Im not doing many internal engine upgrades, FMIC, CAI, filter etc because in time ill get a ESS VT2-650 SC kit put on, which obviously has full engine upgrades included.

Thanks a lot guys
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Do a search... this has been beaten to death. The M3 wipes the floor with the 335... I don't even feel like the 335 picks up much faster than the M3 below 3k rpms and above that it gets raped.

Exhaust is largely a subjective thing, there are lots of videos to sample different sounds.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

My buddy has a Cobb tuned 335i which he loved, until I let him drive my M3. He lives right around the corner from me and has pretty much been with me every single step
Of the way when I started modding my M3. I went from intake and exhaust to a few other bolt ons all the way to Gintani supercharged. Each stop he was constantly comparing it to his car and he never once said how he preferred the way his car "pulled". When I say pulled, I mean how it felt going up the power band. In stock form his car couldn't beat my DCT M3. Once you get your car I would say start small and just drive the hell out of your new ride. The handling is superb right from the factory (far beyond my skills) and unless you really want to turn the car into a beast (enter supercharger) my two cents would just be to add a clean sounding exhaust and really get a feel for what an M3 is capable of
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Blackhawk View Post
H
Do you find the lack of torque on the m3 to be a problem? I love how even on a stock 335i its still so punchy when the turbos spool up. And I'm afraid ill loose this pleasure when driving the M3? Or does the sheer HP compensate and you don't really think about it? (odd question sorry )

H&R lowering springs

Eisenmann Race
Challenge Race X pipe

Aquamist HFS-4 PWM meth kit (just released)

But am unsure about the tune to complement it? Im open to anything really, Dinan, AA, ESS, Procede, COBB etc

Im not doing many internal engine upgrades, FMIC, CAI, filter etc because in time ill get a ESS VT2-650 SC kit put on, which obviously has full engine upgrades included.
The lack of low end torque is definitely noticeable, especially when compared to a tuned 335i.
I do come from a tuned 335i and I still drive a Z4 35i N54.
But the low end torque is plenty for daily driving, and if you get in the high RPMs, too much for daily driving

You'll hurt the handling by going with H&R lowering springs.
If you don't want to do coilovers, then look into Dinan Springs, KW Sleeve over kit, Ground Control kit, or the new TCK line

Both of those race exhausts will cause your M3 to be crazy loud and possibly raspy, but if that's what you want, then you picked the right set up.

There is no COBB or Procede/Vishnu tune (that I have seen) for the M3.
The Dinan tune is very conservative.

You can't put on a FMIC or a CAI on a M3...
How can you install a front mount INTERCOOLER on a NA engine that doesn't even come with one?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
I'd recommend driving the car for a few months before you even start thinking about performance mods. How can you know what you want to improve if you don't know what works well or not out of the box? The M3 feels better than the 335i in pretty much every single way except for that surge of torque at very low RPMs. But no mods will give you that on the M3.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
toan414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Had an e92 335i for 3 years. Had procede, intake and coils. Just recently purchase an e92 m3. Loving every minute of it. M3 is a different beast. Less torque at lower rpm, but once you drive the M3, you will notice the car does not like to be driven at low speed/rpm. Do I really notice the low torque, yes, the M3 feels sluggish, but once the engine wakes up, its just soo much more fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
The lack of low end torque is definitely noticeable, especially when compared to a tuned 335i.
I do come from a tuned 335i and I still drive a Z4 35i N54.
But the low end torque is plenty for daily driving, and if you get in the high RPMs, too much for daily driving

You'll hurt the handling by going with H&R lowering springs.
If you don't want to do coilovers, then look into Dinan Springs, KW Sleeve over kit, Ground Control kit, or the new TCK line

Both of those race exhausts will cause your M3 to be crazy loud and possibly raspy, but if that's what you want, then you picked the right set up.

There is no COBB or Procede/Vishnu tune (that I have seen) for the M3.
The Dinan tune is very conservative.

You can't put on a FMIC or a CAI on a M3...
How can you install a front mount INTERCOOLER on a NA engine that doesn't even come with one?
Thanks for the reply

Sorry, extremely long day at work lol, i was being a retard.

Im gonna get the eisenmann to start off with and see what it sounds like, if its not loud enough (i think it will be) ill go for a catless setup. Which im mainly doing for the power increase.

Visit the procede website, Shiv has just added a new PWM meth kit for the M3 and also a PROcede device for it also i believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I'd recommend driving the car for a few months before you even start thinking about performance mods. How can you know what you want to improve if you don't know what works well or not out of the box? The M3 feels better than the 335i in pretty much every single way except for that surge of torque at very low RPMs. But no mods will give you that on the M3.
Thats what im worried about really, the lack of low end on the m3, I love the FI on the 335i and how punchy it is from the line.

Guess you will never get that on the M3 unless you SC it, or they find a way to add in turbo's safely.

Ill be broke after I get my m3 lol anyway, so even if I wanted to start modding I would have to wait for some funds.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thats what im worried about really, the lack of low end on the m3, I love the FI on the 335i and how punchy it is from the line.

Guess you will never get that on the M3 unless you SC it, or they find a way to add in turbo's safely.

Ill be broke after I get my m3 lol anyway, so even if I wanted to start modding I would have to wait for some funds.
I came from a modded 135i and have owned two 335i's. The M3 does not disappoint. The upper power band of the M3 is MUCH more impressive and enjoyable than that initial grunt of the x35i cars. Also the throttle response on the M3 is sublime. Don't forget the 0-60 times on the M3 is better than the 335i so off the line the M3 is a faster car. The only place the 335i beats the M3 is if both cars are cruising in the lower half of the rev range and you need to punch it. If you don't drop a couple gears on the M3 first, it will be a bit before you really start moving.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Zaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition

I went from N54 E93 with Proced to M3 and never looked back. The lack of low end torque is greatly dramatized. The M3 rev so fast and the power delivery is so linear that it is truly an another animal. The M3 is a beast at the top end that I know it's too much car for most of us on a public road. The handling is super, unless you are a very seasoned driver, you may find it very adequate to drive it stock at the limits of your skill level.

Of cause, we all get the itch to mod. I think the performance could be improved with a set of light weight wheels and a tune. Since OP is coming from a 335i, you may find it interesting that the Procede PWM Meth Kit for NA application came on the market recently.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #12
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaw View Post
I went from N54 E93 with Proced to M3 and never looked back. The lack of low end torque is greatly dramatized. The M3 rev so fast and the power delivery is so linear that it is truly an another animal. The M3 is a beast at the top end that I know it's too much car for most of us on a public road. The handling is super, unless you are a very seasoned driver, you may find it very adequate to drive it stock at the limits of your skill level.

Of cause, we all get the itch to mod. I think the performance could be improved with a set of light weight wheels and a tune. Since OP is coming from a 335i, you may find it interesting that the Procede PWM Meth Kit for NA application came on the market recently.
Honestly after all these comments, I cant wait to get it lol literally counting down the days.

You guys should be salesmen of the M division

I plan to stick a eisenmann race on there, possible a challenge sport x pipe with a tune and PWM meth kit from vishnu.

Cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Eisenmann Race with a Challenge or Dinan x-pipe will wake up the car quite a bit! Add the 4.10 Dinan gears and you'll have a wide grin on your face every time you drive!
Dinan LSD is what im after deffinatly.

Cant actually wait untill i get my M3!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Zaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Dinan LSD is what im after deffinatly.

Cant actually wait untill i get my M3!