BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

03-23-2024, 04:11 PM   #1
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Bilstein B12

Anyone running this (Bilstein B8's + Eibach Pro Kit)? Couldn't seem to find much on this particular combo.

Non-EDC E90. Considering a suspension refresh and wondering how this will fair on Chicago streets. Currently stock and it's terrible on slow speed bumps, and pretty harsh on high speed. Pretty sure worn out at 81k.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 01:21 PM   #2
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’ve had the B8s paired with a different lowering spring for about 40k miles. You feel every road imperfection in a muted manner. Nothing is super jarring unless it’s a decent pot hole. If Chicago streets are anything like Buffalo streets I’d say it’s a losing battle regardless.

Performance wise they’re very racey and I’ve been satisfied with my daily use.
Appreciate 1
a5m611.00
      03-25-2024, 07:08 PM   #3
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

What springs are you running? This isn't the feedback I was hoping for lol but I appreciate the honesty. I feel it'd still be an improvement over what's on there currently.

I reached out to Bilstein regarding the difference between B6 vs B8. There's a .6" travel advantage to the B6. Perhaps that's why I've found more favorable reviews for those, or maybe because more cars are EDC and that's the only compatible option.

There's also the shaved front top mounts, which I'm not sure apply to inverted struts. Racking my brain trying to understand how that whole setup works/benefits.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:58 AM   #4
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
No prob, I have B&G lowering springs I bought from EAS when I got the car in 2018. I don’t think they’re widely used or available anymore.

You do get a lot of road feel through the steering wheel but it’s still a compliment ride, just firm. Bilstein says they’re 20% stiffer than B6 with less travel so it does have its limits with bad roads, bumps, and potholes.

It was definitely an improvement from my 130k suspension I replaced - I did have EDC but didn’t feel like waiting on the B6 back order at the time, and I also didn’t really get the bump stop thing either so I just went for the strut designed for lowering springs with the built in bump stops to keep it easy.
Appreciate 1
a5m611.00
      03-26-2024, 09:37 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Thanks for the reply.

What springs are you running? This isn't the feedback I was hoping for lol but I appreciate the honesty. I feel it'd still be an improvement over what's on there currently.

I reached out to Bilstein regarding the difference between B6 vs B8. There's a .6" travel advantage to the B6. Perhaps that's why I've found more favorable reviews for those, or maybe because more cars are EDC and that's the only compatible option.

There's also the shaved front top mounts, which I'm not sure apply to inverted struts. Racking my brain trying to understand how that whole setup works/benefits.
The B8 damper body has been shortened relative to the knuckle mount to account for the gas pressure lifting force. Without this change, the ride height of the lowering spring mounted on the B8 will be higher than the ride height with the same lowering spring mounted on a stock damper. You better have a properly selected bump stop if you’re within 0.6” of the full stroke of the piston rod! Inverted front struts have an internal bump stop.

Shaved top mounts and e36 M3 bump stops are needed when lowering springs are used on stock front struts. These changes increase the travel by more than 8 mm. The B8’s are designed to work with Eibach lowering springs so you do not need to use shaved mounts and e36 M3 bump stops (can’t use these anyway because of the inverted strut design).
Appreciate 1
a5m611.00
      03-26-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
No prob, I have B&G lowering springs I bought from EAS when I got the car in 2018. I don’t think they’re widely used or available anymore.

You do get a lot of road feel through the steering wheel but it’s still a compliment ride, just firm. Bilstein says they’re 20% stiffer than B6 with less travel so it does have its limits with bad roads, bumps, and potholes.

It was definitely an improvement from my 130k suspension I replaced - I did have EDC but didn’t feel like waiting on the B6 back order at the time, and I also didn’t really get the bump stop thing either so I just went for the strut designed for lowering springs with the built in bump stops to keep it easy.
Ah, I saw one of your posts where I think you were on H&R at some poiny? Yup sadly can't get B&G springs anymore. Would have to buy used if available.

Did you ask them about being 20% stiffer? Been talking with them and their claim is they're essentially the same aside from the physical dimensions. Even the bump stops are the same according to them but can't be if the compressed height is identical.

Yes I think I may have to go the B8 route due to availability. Plus like you said it's a much simpler plug and play setup. Perhaps with the softer Eibach springs it'll be quite nice. Not sure on the B&G rates and drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The B8 damper body has been shortened relative to the knuckle mount to account for the gas pressure lifting force. Without this change, the ride height of the lowering spring mounted on the B8 will be higher than the ride height with the same lowering spring mounted on a stock damper. You better have a properly selected bump stop if you’re within 0.6” of the full stroke of the piston rod! Inverted front struts have an internal bump stop.

Shaved top mounts and e36 M3 bump stops are needed when lowering springs are used on stock front struts. These changes increase the travel by more than 8 mm. The B8’s are designed to work with Eibach lowering springs so you do not need to use shaved mounts and e36 M3 bump stops (can’t use these anyway because of the inverted strut design).
Thanks for confirming on the bump stops and mounts! It's all becoming clearer to me now. I didn't want to deal with the shaving anyway so this is a relief.

I want to go with the B6 for the added travel, since apparently these cars don't have much to begin with. But my understanding on the topic is changing day by day so I may just come to realize there isn't much benefit in going with the B6. Let's see what tomorrow brings
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 10:43 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

a5m

So you’re looking to refresh your stock non-edc dampers with either B6 dampers or B8 dampers with lowering springs?

B4 is another option if you just want to replace oem dampers. It seems like every B6 and B8 review I’ve read has said the B6/B!

BimmerWorld offers the B8 paired with H&R lowering springs. Have you considered this option? I have no idea how this compares with the B8 with Eibach springs. I believe it said the H&R combo lowered the F by 1.0” and the R by 0.6”.

Considering any other options?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:00 AM   #8
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes correct, refresh stock non-EDC dampers. Don't want to go the coil over route so that leaves me with only Bilstein since nobody else makes struts for these.

B4 are on the bottom of the list, if at all. Figured I'd 'upgrade' while I'm at it, but more importantly a more durable shock will be preferable with lowering springs.

I have seen the B8+H&R combo at BW. Issue is the H&R springs lower too much. The Eibach's have the least drop (aside from Dinan and OEM ZCP). Combined with their soft, close to stock rates, they'll probably give the best chance at a comfortable setup.

That's why I'm leaning towards the B6 for their increased travel combined with the soft, mild drop Eibach springs. Should give me what I'm looking for. Would love to hear from those who are running this exact setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 10:10 PM   #9
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone else out there running B6's with lowering springs? Reading conflicting reports. It seems with Eibach springs the ride is a bit on the firm and harsh side. But those running Swift Springs say it's amazing and comfortable? Swifts are lower and higher rate, so confused how that works.

On the other hand I've read praise of the B12 Kit (B8 + Eibach) but not so great reviews when B8 paired with Swift Springs, which kinda makes sense.

Getting close to deciding on a suspension setup and want to save a few bucks if I can (Ohlins). So any more feedback on B6 or B8 with various lowering springs would be appreciated.

Haven't come across B8 and ZCP Springs. Anyone running that combo?
Appreciate 0