BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

07-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #45
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blotman View Post
Hate to break it to your friend, but most Mustang drivers around where I live are women. Not just V6 Mustangs either. The full-on Mustang GT's where you're almost certain would be driven by some dude... is driven by some Barbie blonde chick in her stunna shades. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I think it's kinda hot, but it's gonna take quite a bit to readjust my attitude that a Mustang is anything but guy's car.
I agree totally... My friend is a douche anyway, so no need to worry about offending me (or him), haha...
      07-30-2010, 03:00 AM   #46
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
I just wanted to comment on the stangs handling capabilities and most stang drivers cannot drive period!
Even if the driver was pushing the car to the limit (which he wasn't), that mustang was a 2006. The handling characteristics have come a long way in 5 years. In fact, the 2011 mustang GT skidpad numbers supersedes that of the m3
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #47
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
Yeah that guy is driving like I drive to work. Wouldn't exactly call that a Saleen getting "smoked" if the driver isn't pushing the car.
It's kinda hard to push a car that has a shit load of Hp and crappy handling!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #48
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Whatever, it's still a Ford...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #49
grizzy727
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3m, 20 XC90,18 JLU, 04 911

I test drove one a few weeks ago-- it was only ok
also it was a convertible and $40k~ alot for a ford
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #50
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8dawg View Post
Even if the driver was pushing the car to the limit (which he wasn't), that mustang was a 2006. The handling characteristics have come a long way in 5 years. In fact, the 2011 mustang GT skidpad numbers supersedes that of the m3
So your playing the numbers game. Search you tube and you will be hard pressed to find any videos of a Mustang any year that can handle properly.

M3 and mustang are apples and oranges when it comes to handling
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #51
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Its a good car on paper no doubt, but for me it doesnt give me that special feeling I get when thinking about having an m. Like most things, its more psychological then numbers on a page. And I like bmw as a brand better then ford, so id never consider it, but its finally what the mustang should be.
I completely agree (save for the psychological part). Whats more is that the BMW wont become an oil-burning crop duster after 35k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:49 AM   #52
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
That mustang's interior doesnt have SHIT on the 3. As usual.
      07-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #53
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
That mustang's interior doesnt have SHIT on the 3. As usual.
Also very true
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #54
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I completely agree (save for the psychological part). Whats more is that the BMW wont become an oil-burning crop duster after 35k miles.
+1
      07-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #55
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph328 View Post
OK...AND?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #56
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph328 View Post
So is a Ford GT. Are you "too good" to own/drive a Ford?
      07-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #57
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have always had Ford's and been very loyal. I had a 07' 328i E92 and a 07 GT Ragtop at the same time. When the lease was up on the BMW I sold the 07' and got a 09', then a 2010' Roush 427R ragtop. Great car. Fast, fun, stopped great, handled great................. Until you get back into a BMW. I didn't think I would miss the BMW but I did. My Wife had one still so when I would drive hers it would make me realize just how much nicer the BMW is. Little things like the auto wipers, the feel of the turn signals, the better quality parts. It was a fun car and I will miss it, but the pure driving experience of the M is so much better. Doesn't matter if you are driving it hard or easy, it is just a pleasure to drive. The Mustang was fun when I wanted to go out to the track or drive like an idiot, but that was it. If I had more space to keep more cars I would go buy an 2011 GT just for fun and to beat on, but if I had to make a choice between one or the other, adding in the money factor, the M wins hands down. I hate to say it, as I said I have always been a loyal Ford driver, but it is true.
      07-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #58
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Nice Guy Beck! View Post
but it does piss me off that my car was 70 grand and has shitty torque and a 30k ford has more........
Are you sure you know which gear is optimal for your speed to maximize your torque? Hopefully you aren't a mpg person, so keep the revs just under 4K minimum and you'll be fine. Make sure you aren't rolling at 1,5 - 2K rpm in 7th gear, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #59
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Nope, no thanks. That being said, I think the customer base of the two cars are different. Even if the performance levels are very similar I think what the driver wants from the cars are different. That's why we all spent almost twice as much to drive the
M3 with absolutely no regrets. I'm not sure if this is the right analogy but
Mustang vs Thoroughbred, Muscle vs Finesse. It's what ever floats your boat,
but make no mistake one does cost more than the other.
Not hatn', just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #60
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
It's a 32k base price car with 418hp. You're expecting extended leather and carbon fiber trim and appalled by plastic parts? Ford didn't make this car with a lux interior in mind. It's a muscle car, with raw brute force HP/Torque, lightweight (5.0 is lighter than the 4.0 in the M3), bang for the buck. It's made for people who want a really fun and powerful car without a 2nd mortgage on their house. And coming in considerably cheaper than the Camaro SS/RT8 Challenger there is going to be a lot of them on the road. Bottom line, success for Ford.

If you want to compare the M3 to a Mustang, choose the GT500. The 2011 is going to be a beast with comparable, if not better track times than an M3, better straight line accelleration, and an optional competition package with semi-slicks stock. Goodyear is making specific Supercar G2 tires just for that car. And even that will be less than the M3 in price. It has carbon fiber trim, Shelby gauges and shifter, leather wrapped steering wheel and dash cover. Much better interior. Still not as fancy as the M3, but outside of that you're going to have a helluva lot more car.

I own both, and I love them both. If my finances were better, I'd get rid of my more rare 08 GT500 and get a 2011 competition package hardtop in a heartbeat.

Well said. I've never given Mustangs a thought until this model, and it has very seductive numbers and value.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #61
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I just want to comment that those of you who think that the new Mustang can't handle don't know what they are talking about and are just fanbois. You guys better check out the Grand Am standings (which Mustang has won 3 of the last 5 years) and see how BMW and Ford are neck and neck.

Now I put my money where my mouth is I bought an M3, this is my 3rd M3 and I just came out of a Porsche 997S. I was thoroughly impressed with the Mustang and the interior was actually pretty good if you get the premium package and the electronics package.

Guys who really track their cars know what I am talking about. The new Mustang is making a name for itself at tracks all across the US. The only reason I didn't buy a Mustang is I lease and the leases were terrible. Also, JD Power just rated Ford #5 in their quality survey, BMW wasn't even in the top 10.

Give credit where credit is due..I love M3's, like I said this is my 3rd one but the new Stang is a lot better than some of you realize. Granted you may still not want to buy one...fine, that's called capitalism.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #62
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So your playing the numbers game. Search you tube and you will be hard pressed to find any videos of a Mustang any year that can handle properly.

M3 and mustang are apples and oranges when it comes to handling
No their not...M3s and Mustangs have been racing all year in Grand AM...Mustangs and M3s are pretty much neck and neck in this series. BTW, how the hell would you know about a 2011 Mustang? They aren't even in Germany...yet.

BMW has won 4 races and Ford has won 4 races..pretty neck and neck to me.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #63
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I just want to comment that those of you who think that the new Mustang can't handle don't know what they are talking about and are just fanbois. You guys better check out the Grand Am standings (which Mustang has won 3 of the last 5 years) and see how BMW and Ford are neck and neck.

Now I put my money where my mouth is I bought an M3, this is my 3rd M3 and I just came out of a Porsche 997S. I was thoroughly impressed with the Mustang and the interior was actually pretty good if you get the premium package and the electronics package.

Guys who really track their cars know what I am talking about. The new Mustang is making a name for itself at tracks all across the US. The only reason I didn't buy a Mustang is I lease and the leases were terrible. Also, JD Power just rated Ford #5 in their quality survey, BMW wasn't even in the top 10.

Give credit where credit is due..I love M3's, like I said this is my 3rd one but the new Stang is a lot better than some of you realize. Granted you may still not want to buy one...fine, that's called capitalism.

Dave
Good info, Dave. Helps put things in perspective.... Some people think the BMW roundel automatically makes the car FAR superior than the Ponycar. No debate or discussion. I love my M3 as well, but have no issue cross-shopping a Ford if they make a top shelf product. And I bet that subgroup will rise in the future... those buyers may not participate on this forum, but they're out there.
      07-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #64
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:

Dave
Dude you are gonna get flamed they don't race Mustangs in the Grand am series they race Ford Prototypes! Mustangs and Ford prototypes are apples and oranges! Talk to me when you see a mustang at the Nordschleife 24hr race. If these cars are so great for the price every race team would buy one and race it! I'm still waiting for FORD to post a Nordschleife lap time with there 2011 live axle will it get close to the M3's time? Not a chance in Hell
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #65
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Quote:
No their not...M3s and Mustangs have been racing all year in Grand AM...Mustangs and M3s are pretty much neck and neck in this series. BTW, how the hell would you know about a 2011 Mustang? They aren't even in Germany...yet.

BMW has won 4 races and Ford has won 4 races..pretty neck and neck to me.

Dave
link to the results?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #66
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Dude you are gonna get flamed they don't race Mustangs in the Grand am series they race Ford Prototypes! Mustangs and Ford prototypes are apples and oranges! Talk to me when you see a mustang at the . If these cars are so great for the price every race team would buy one and race it! I'm still waiting for FORD to post a Nordschleife lap time with there 2011 live axle will it get close to the M3's time? Not a chance in Hell
How am I going to get flamed? You said Ford Mustangs don't handle and I am showing you results they do..they even still have their live axle, they are production based cars.

You're funny, do you think the BMW M3s in the Nordschleife 24hr. race were production cars.

Wait this totally looks like a production M3..not

Here is the webpage of the results for the GrandAm series...more prodution based than the 24hr. Nordschleife race.

http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/ind...es=k&cat_id=91

Listen I'm not here to start an argument..but for you to say they don't handle well is just not true...I put my money where my mouth is I bought an M3, I still feel like its a better car but give credit where credit is due. Maybe I'm reading you wrong and if I am please forgive me, but your posts against US made automobiles almost comes across as an "anti-U.S." kind of rant when blatant facts are just totally ignored. In fact the cars they are racing are not prototypes, they are factory cars that do have some suspension mods but none of the cars are stock regardless of the make. You had a point last year when the cars were using a 5.0L 4V cammer motor when the production car was using a 4.6L 3V SOHC motor, well in 2011 (the year we are talking about here) now uses a 5.0L 4V motor in the production car.

Here an introduction on what makes the GT class for the GrandAm...

http://www.grand-am.com/grand-am101/index.cfm?cid=24614

Allowed modifications in PDF.

http://admin.grand-am.com/assets/Det...e20104docx.pdf

I do agree that I wish Ford would take a $35k Mustang with the Brembo package out on Nurburgring and post some times. Other than you though (which I am entirely envious) most of us don't get to run the Nurburgring...

Also, I am on the Mustang boards as well setting them straight about the M3. Fanbois on either side of the fence kind of bother me, to each his own is my motto. To spread false information on innuendo is just not right, but I realize this is an M3 board. Just remember competition improves the breed.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 07-31-2010 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0