BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #23
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
NASA is not like some other clubs/track orgs. that hold you back or say "we don’t know you so therefore you have to start at such and such group.........once you prove your skill to us over a number of events we might move you up" No, NASA treats you like an adult. If you talk to someone, list your experience, they will put you in the appropriate group.

Oh, another thing I like a lot: After the first session of the weekend (everyone has a transponder), everyone is gridded by time. Therefore the car in front of you is faster, car behind slower. They release the group nose to tail and it may take 7 laps to catch the back of the field. Therefore you may get ~7 laps without having to pass anyone. Not racing but a in between step.
wow that would be amazing being gridded by time. will lessen traffic and getting by slower drivers as well as keeping lewis hamilton from lining up behind me... i think this might be a great route to go...
      10-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun View Post
not necessarily, when I filled out the TT paperwork in my region it was X HPDE4 days or equivalent advanced-level experience with other clubs (each one will be verified so it'll take longer than if they were NASA days). reach out to the regional TT director, you may be pleasantly surprised
this is good to hear as they are not a club who continues to keep you in a non appropriate group weather to make more money or for what ever reason
      10-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #25
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Not to side track but. I ran with HOD NorCal last fall. David is a great guy! They had a pass anywhere with point group and an open passing no point needed group. They also had a beginner and intermediate group. The pass anywhere/open passing is a great option for those wanting to work on off line, in the corner passes etc.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #26
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Your car will be TT3 at a minimum. The e90 starts as TTB with two *, so you've only got a couple of points to play with if you want to stay in B.
I stopped running my e90 and ran my e36 in TTD this year since my e90 is a full weight street car that was getting destroyed by cars 900lbs lighter.

The tire contingency is great. A few years back I went for two seasons without spending a dime on tires.
Come check us out next season. The TT crew is a good group of guys and always welcoming of new (and safe) drivers.

Edit: I just looked up some lap times for TT3. Looks like 1:48's at somoma and 1:57's at thunderhill are needed to win tires. That's a full 2 seconds faster than I was able to go in my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #27
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Definitely a good idea to reach out to your regional director before you sign up. I sent Ryan Flaherty an email before my first NASA event and he was quite helpful in telling me to start at HPDE 3 or 4. Started at 3 and was at 4 before the day was over. Safety is a HUGE priority. Overall great people, can't wait for next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #28
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Your car will be TT3 at a minimum. The e90 starts as TTB with two *, so you've only got a couple of points to play with if you want to stay in B.
I stopped running my e90 and ran my e36 in TTD this year since my e90 is a full weight street car that was getting destroyed by cars 900lbs lighter.

The tire contingency is great. A few years back I went for two seasons without spending a dime on tires.
Come check us out next season. The TT crew is a good group of guys and always welcoming of new (and safe) drivers.

Edit: I just looked up some lap times for TT3. Looks like 1:48's at somoma and 1:57's at thunderhill are needed to win tires. That's a full 2 seconds faster than I was able to go in my car.
Ah, thanks for clarifying for the e9x M3. I didn't see the ** in the rules till I just checked.
I think the difficulty is getting 5+ cars to win contingency tires. I was 4 sec faster than my next TT3 but only had 2-3 cars in class. I was right on the boarder of TT3 and TT2 so bumped up and won tires in TT2. So it is always good to have as many cars as possible in class.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

so what are you guys doing to your M3s to be competitive in TT2/TT3?

In NE we have a packed field with little chance of a competitive run in a e90/e92 without major mods. weight being the primary issue. Things were a bit better under the old TTA category but TT2/TT3 is a whole different animal...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #30
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

In NE we have a packed field with little chance of a competitive run in a e90/e92 without major mods. weight being the primary issue. Things were a bit better under the old TTA category but TT2/TT3 is a whole different animal...
I don't know if the following is maxed out for TT2 or not but the car/driver is really fast (friends car)
MCS doubles, Yoko slicks, Akra GT4/tune, half cage with recaro/six point harness, BBK, aero, diffs online with short gears, below 3200lbs. dry without driver. Its a beast!
In the PNW there is a supercharged S2000 and turbo miata that are both very fast in TT2.
For TT3 I can’t see a better car than E46 M3.
TT2 E36 M3 with S54 swap or E46 M3 with v-8 swap.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #31
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun

That's why I stopped running my e90. It can be a competitive car if built to the rules though.

I'm fully in favor of spending Sebringjetta's money to build a TT3 slayer though
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #32
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's why I stopped running my e90. It can be a competitive car if built to the rules though.

I'm fully in favor of spending Sebringjetta's money to build a TT3 slayer though
+1 That sounds like fun! I can telll you how to do it........well knowing me it might end up in TT2 but its only money.........a lot of money!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #33
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

all in favor of spending sebringjetta's money on this worthwhile experiment say aye
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #34
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

those are fast times.. regardless of those fast time it sounds like a great organization and good place to start
      10-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #35
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
all in favor of spending sebringjetta's money on this worthwhile experiment say aye
i see what you guys did there... i look at this way.. i have a good foundation as the car sits and worse case i have a safe & fun go at it..
      10-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #36
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

E92M is TTB with few points left, pushes to TT3 easy.

I was hoping for to stick to TT3, but the mods I wanted to do put it in TT2. So I just went for Max points.

The setup PrimeBMW laid out is pretty much most TT2 M3's.
Appreciate 0