BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
HapaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

RD Sport sway bar adjustments

So what's setting are you running on your RD Sport bars?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Middle hole front and rear. I am not on stock suspension though. You really need to feel what the car is doing on track to decide soft, middle or hard setting.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Middle hole front and rear. I am not on stock suspension though. You really need to feel what the car is doing on track to decide soft, middle or hard setting.
Yup. So many variables depending on setup and how you want the car to behave. Also make sure you get adjustable end links for these. So many RD sport bars are snapping in half from excess tension.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Yup. So many variables depending on setup and how you want the car to behave. Also make sure you get adjustable end links for these. So many RD sport bars are snapping in half from excess tension.
Are there any adjustable rear links on the market yet? When we discussed this before, only fronts were still available. I would love to have a front and rear set for the exact reasons you describe, plus dialing out any pre-load.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
I cut, sleeved and welded my rear ones to get rid of pre load. I am waiting on a custom set from ABRHouston.com
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
I cut, sleeved and welded my rear ones to get rid of pre load. I am waiting on a custom set from UUC now.
Custom set cut to the length you need or an adjustable set?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
Custom adjustable set based on the base length I need. UUC was useless, so my shop went elsewhere to get them.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
11LMBiSTT
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A to B.

Any update on rear adjustable end links?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
My local shop got mine made for me. Call Alex at www.abrhouston.com

He got me my set. Just give him static, loaded, center to center length you want.

Rear axle shafts must be removed for install. You'll need new axle nuts. I did not stake my new ones. Just a paint mark so I can see if they move and I can re torque. Once you stake them, you can't use them again.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
HapaM3
Private First Class
Rep

Just got an alignment done. This is my set up. Curious about opinions but regardless of them, I will drive it and find out myself.

Tires: Hankook RS3 275s x4
Suspension: OE w EDC + H&R sport lowering springs
Bars: OE rear, RDSPort front center hole both sides
Alignment: Front -3deg camber, 1/16 toe in
Rear -2.1deg camber, 1/16 toe in

Such a pita to install the rear bar I never got around to it. The front bar addition will add rear traction which some people say will make the car push. The -3 camber should give me back some of that front traction; however, the question is for all of these changes, what is good for what part of the corner? I am sure I will feel a difference in turn in versus mid corner vs exit. Totally not thrilled about the stock dampers and lowering springs, but it is what it is. I used to drive the piss out of cars with completely stock suspension so this is just going to have to be something like that.

Give me some of your feedback and perhaps similar experiences. Preferably no noob responses. I used to race competitively as far back as 2000.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaM3 View Post
Just got an alignment done. This is my set up. Curious about opinions but regardless of them, I will drive it and find out myself.

Tires: Hankook RS3 275s x4
Suspension: OE w EDC + H&R sport lowering springs
Bars: OE rear, RDSPort front center hole both sides
Alignment: Front -3deg camber, 1/16 toe in
Rear -2.1deg camber, 1/16 toe in

Such a pita to install the rear bar I never got around to it. The front bar addition will add rear traction which some people say will make the car push. The -3 camber should give me back some of that front traction; however, the question is for all of these changes, what is good for what part of the corner? I am sure I will feel a difference in turn in versus mid corner vs exit. Totally not thrilled about the stock dampers and lowering springs, but it is what it is. I used to drive the piss out of cars with completely stock suspension so this is just going to have to be something like that.

Give me some of your feedback and perhaps similar experiences. Preferably no noob responses. I used to race competitively as far back as 2000.
Not a response to your question, but I also got a H&R sway bar set in middle with adjustable end link and to balance that I put more camber on front to balance it and also by going square set up. Will see tomorrow at BW how my car will behave. I would say i will get most of the difference on entry corner with the sway bar. Anxious to see how my car will behave on exit.
      07-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #12
HapaM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3SennA View Post
Not a response to your question, but I also got a H&R sway bar set in middle with adjustable end link and to balance that I put more camber on front to balance it and also by going square set up. Will see tomorrow at BW how my car will behave. I would say i will get most of the difference on entry corner with the sway bar. Anxious to see how my car will behave on exit.
My first experience with my car at BW I had stock bars and -2.5 front camber and my biggest complaint was that the car rolled way too much. I had to set up for each corner way earlier than in a racecar. The front bar change should reduce the time to take a set I believe. My thoughts were to decrease body roll while maintaining pothole comfort.

Last edited by HapaM3; 07-24-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaM3 View Post
My first experience with my car at BW I had stock bars and -2.5 front camber and my biggest complaint was that the car rolled way too much. I had to set up for each corer way earlier than in a racecar. The front bar change should reduce the time to take a set I believe. My thoughts were to decrease body roll while maintaining pothole comfort.
same here. Went to laguna seca with -2.6 front camber and i couldnt bare with the body roll too. It was just annoying. my car just didnt want to hit the apex and on exit, i was having some understeer (staggered)
I got the sway bar and expecting it to give me more confidence on high speed turns now, which I really didnt have before.

you whos coming from a s2000 must be hating how the car behaves right now. Just not direct, lot of body roll compared to s2k.

ill keep you posted after bw.
      07-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
HapaM3
Private First Class
Rep

Let's hear it Senna. How was your BW weekend?

I went for a midnight run in the Angeles Crest Saturday night. My car was feeling great. Fairly tight turn-in and nice grip mid corner although I cannot say I was pushing anywhere nearly as hard as I would at the track. I am much happier with the car with the added camber and front bar.
Appreciate 0