BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

01-20-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
hockeymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i silver,prem/sport package

motorola droid or iphone 3gs?

So my contract with verizon ends at the begging of next month but my upgrade date wasnt up till october of this year so one call to verizon changed that(said i would leave and get the iphone)... but anyways i have the blackberry tour right now but it has problems like very other bb i've owned, had the storm and hated it, then filed a complaint with the better business bureau cause i went through 3-4 storms and kept getting broken ones outta the box. So they gave me a brand new tour free of charge.

now i'm torn between the droid and the 3gs.... i live a few hours north of san fran and 3g coverage for att is spotty in some areas but with my tour im always connected to 1xev. Love verizon's service but hate there phones, maybe until the droid was released.

droid pros for me:
on verzion always have 3g
on verzion my mobile to mobile mins usually rack up to about 500-600 mintues used
customer service is pretty good on the phone, in store they hate seeing me cause my bb can't keep up with my usage and locks up constantly or just stops recieving messages.
flash 10.1 soon to be released(allows hulu and many other websites to be view on your phone)
touch screen plus a real keyboard

3gs pros-
the 1er is set up for it
borrowed a friends iphone at work to see how pandora worked when hooked up to usb and it actually showed the song being played on my radio which i though was awesome couldnt change the song with the radio but...
have wanted the 3g since it came out(stuck with verizon instead)
the browser blows my tour outta water
touchscreen only keyboard, stops me from drunk texting/dailing
the apps, my bb apps suck big

3gs cons-
its on ATT
ahhh i think ATT once again

any input on anyone that owns one of the two would be awesome. thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
dasReaper
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 128i Black/Black

I have used both the droid/3GS and own an iPhone 3G. I have also had been with both Verizon and ATT. I my opinion is the iPhone is better then the Droid and as long as there is solid coverage in your area ATT is better then Verizon. Just my 2cents.
      01-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think there are a couple other threads on here discussing a similar thing, so you might want to see what those say too. I went from an iPhone to the Droid Eris (although the Eris is a lesser phone than the Droid, I think it is similar enough to make a comparison) and couldn't be happier. The iPhone is awesome, but just isn't that great of a phone. I just got fed up with dropped calls and poor reception (even in the DC area).

Either way there are trade offs, but the poor phone part just did the iPhone in for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I cant really comment on the iPhone, but I do have an iPod Touch which is similar but without the phone part, but who needs that part anyways haha...like lkw15 said, I've also heard that the iPhone's coverage isnt that great...I've had Verizon for years after switching carriers and so far Verizon has the best coverage, so if thats a big factor, i would definitely go with the Droid.

my brother has the Droid and I've messed with it and seen him messing with it, its a pretty bad ass phone. the innovation with that phone is what makes..it uses Google for almost everything, and google is pretty awesome as well lol.

My mom has the Eris which is nice too. I have a blackberry storm...well I'm on my 4th Storm, and if I could, i would switch to the Droid in a second. I have another year on my contract and once its up, depending on whats out i will go to the Droid or the new Google phone (I think its coming to verizon in the spring).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

you forgot one big iphone con: keyboard, or lack thereof
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
^ahh good point. Yeah, i love the fact the Droid has a keyboard...definitely a plus.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
this is my FAVORITE part of the iPhone.. that it doesn't have a keyboard

NO ONE can hear you type :P

where on a keyboard, no matter what, the keys will make a bit of noise

also, since I type about 180 words a min (did a few tests using an iPhone app), It would make a lot of clicks on a real keyboard.. and I'm not sure if i could type that fast on a keyboard

Also, regarding the phone keeping up with usage:
last month, I did 15888 texts, 24,599 emails, 1560 minutes

And yes, the when I am trying to text 20 people at once, back and forth, there might be a slight lag when I get a bunch of texts/emails at once, but the phone quickly catches up and works just fine
If I turn winterboard and some background apps off, then memory increases and I have no problem
but I rather have winterboard and FCSB etc running heh

So I say go with the iPhone 3GS

the 3G though, could never handle my usage...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
iphone is coming to Verizon. All you need to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
iphone is coming to Verizon. All you need to know.
Game over for Driod phones when that happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
thats not a con! iPhone's keyboard is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
thats not a con! iPhone's keyboard is awesome.
not in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

The iPhone doesn't have a metal detector. Game... Over...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #13
hockeymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i silver,prem/sport package

thanks for all the input guys...

yea been reading up heavily on the whole verion iphone thing... contacted customer service a few days ago and they said they couldnt comment on the verizon iphone deal and then called a few days later and the rep a really nice guy said they couldnt finalize a deal and apple wanted way to much control over the phone.... but told me in the next 2-4 weeks there launching a few more android phones... but on a side note the whole qualcom worldchip there comming out with i believe is for there itablet.

played with the driod today at the mall before work and it was amazing... browser was lighting fast compared to my bb... and the marketplace was incredible... all the open source apps is awesome... but they also have an app that turns your phone into a wifi hotspot, so i could then cancell my internet connection and just use the droid seeing i would non-stop and just use the web at my house for small things. i have a feeling the droid is gonna dominate apple in about 2-3 years once in builds its fan base. Apple had a leg up on google cause they have loyal mac fans....

did i hear the driod has a metal detector??
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
The iPhone doesn't have a metal detector. Game... Over...
When the iphone comes to Verizon, and it is more than just one analyst, it will be the 4G phone, and completely different than it is now. So, how can you blurt out it's "game over"??
Makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymutt View Post
played with the driod today at the mall before work and it was amazing... browser was lighting fast compared to my bb... and the marketplace was incredible... all the open source apps is awesome... but they also have an app that turns your phone into a wifi hotspot, so i could then cancell my internet connection and just use the droid seeing i would non-stop and just use the web at my house for small things. i have a feeling the droid is gonna dominate apple in about 2-3 years once in builds its fan base. Apple had a leg up on google cause they have loyal mac fans....
Ehhhh i don't know about that one...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Wait for the Apple thing next week (27th) when they should be announcing the tablet, and the info for the new iPhone. Should be worth waiting for, and I'd wait until the release of the new one before picking anything up.

Droid sales have been lackluster in comparison to the iPhone, still. While I have no doubts someone will figure out how to topple Apple in the segment, I seriously doubt it'll be in the next 2-3 years.

Regarding what the rep said with Apple wanting too much control: that's what happened the first time, since Apple came to Verizon first. Dude was spewing out 3 year old news. Verizon wouldn't be that stupid twice in a row, would they?

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
When the iphone comes to Verizon, and it is more than just one analyst, it will be the 4G phone, and completely different than it is now. So, how can you blurt out it's "game over"??
Makes no sense.
That wasn't really a serious comment, but to be serious, the Droid currently has a leg up in some aspects (certain apps, navigation, etc). iPhone seems better with multimedia. My recommendation to potential buyers who aren't tied down to a carrier is try both to see which suits your interests better.

Yes, there is a Metal Detector app, and it works!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #18
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
this is my FAVORITE part of the iPhone.. that it doesn't have a keyboard

NO ONE can hear you type :P

where on a keyboard, no matter what, the keys will make a bit of noise

also, since I type about 180 words a min (did a few tests using an iPhone app), It would make a lot of clicks on a real keyboard.. and I'm not sure if i could type that fast on a keyboard

Also, regarding the phone keeping up with usage:
last month, I did 15888 texts, 24,599 emails, 1560 minutes

And yes, the when I am trying to text 20 people at once, back and forth, there might be a slight lag when I get a bunch of texts/emails at once, but the phone quickly catches up and works just fine
If I turn winterboard and some background apps off, then memory increases and I have no problem
but I rather have winterboard and FCSB etc running heh

So I say go with the iPhone 3GS

the 3G though, could never handle my usage...
The Droid has a rubber keypad to minimize the noise. You can only hear it if you're playing close attention.

I'm not gonna, I was close to getting an iPhone, but hearing my friends complaining it freezes (3gs) and how horrible the at&t service is. So I think I made the right choice by staying with Americas best network and I am absolutely in love with my Droid.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
McMuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Widebody 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
That wasn't really a serious comment, but to be serious, the Droid currently has a leg up in some aspects (certain apps, navigation, etc). iPhone seems better with multimedia. My recommendation to potential buyers who aren't tied down to a carrier is try both to see which suits your interests better.

Yes, there is a Metal Detector app, and it works!
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

im thinking about getting a droid right now. but i hear a lot of complaints about the keyboard... should i hold out for something better or get another phone? was contemplating the eris too, but not sure if i would regret getting that over the motorolla droid. not a big cell phone guy so any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/11...one-droid-buy/
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #22
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

LMAO. Funny to see all the iPhone Fanboi's come to the rescue.

Just get the Droid to hold you over, VZW will make a statement with LTE, not only from a network perspective, but also with regards to the lineup available.
Appreciate 0