BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #67
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

These are my favorite coil over kits. They are really in a class by themselves. There are many great coil over gets out there but none that offer such great track performance without giving up ride quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #68
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
My order has been delayed... Again
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #69
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Man, those Ohlins

I might have to rethink about upgrading my suspension!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #70
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

my order has been placed! Can't wait
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #71
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

anyone have any more feedback on these?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #72
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
anyone have any more feedback on these?
Aleks D just got a pair and is installing for a customer for a track day this weekend.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #73
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Did you get your set yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #74
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Did you get your set yet?
Next weekish
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #75
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Aleks D just got a pair and is installing for a customer for a track day this weekend.
They were mine. Huge difference between these and my KW V3's. I'm amazed at how much better linear springs in general feel over progressive. The first thing I noticed at the track is how much more suspension travel it had. I had the compression set to a street setting during my first session and it had crazy body roll, but at the same time it felt very good. It was set to 12 clicks that session. I dropped it down to 6 clicks the second session and the car felt much better around the corners, but still some roll. I also had a bit too much oversteer so I stiffened my front sway a bit and adjusted the dampers to 4 clicks and the car felt really good after that. I hit some big berms and went through rumble strips and the car always felt planted. I drove home with them still on 4 clicks and while stiff, it was still pretty comfortable on my 2.5 hour drive back home. I have them set to 9 clicks at the moment and will keep playing around with them.

That's another great thing about this kit. Compression adjustments are so simple. I was always intimidated by all the adjustments on my V3's so I never really touched them after initial setup. All in all, I think these are a pretty big upgrade over the V3's and at a great price. I consider this a street damper that can handle track duty.

Unfortunately I can't say if they made me any faster over the V3's because I wasn't at Laguna Seca. I was at a track that I haven't been to since last November and I'm not very fast on it to begin with because of my infrequent visits. But I can say they feel a lot better than my previous setup on and off the track.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #76
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
They were mine. Huge difference between these and my KW V3's. I'm amazed at how much better linear springs in general feel over progressive. The first thing I noticed at the track is how much more suspension travel it had. I had the compression set to a street setting during my first session and it had crazy body roll, but at the same time it felt very good. It was set to 12 clicks that session. I dropped it down to 6 clicks the second session and the car felt much better around the corners, but still some roll. I also had a bit too much oversteer so I stiffened my front sway a bit and adjusted the dampers to 4 clicks and the car felt really good after that. I hit some big berms and went through rumble strips and the car always felt planted. I drove home with them still on 4 clicks and while stiff, it was still pretty comfortable on my 2.5 hour drive back home. I have them set to 9 clicks at the moment and will keep playing around with them.

That's another great thing about this kit. Compression adjustments are so simple. I was always intimidated by all the adjustments on my V3's so I never really touched them after initial setup. All in all, I think these are a pretty big upgrade over the V3's and at a great price. I consider this a street damper that can handle track duty.

Unfortunately I can't say if they made me any faster over the V3's because I wasn't at Laguna Seca. I was at a track that I haven't been to since last November and I'm not very fast on it to begin with because of my infrequent visits. But I can say they feel a lot better than my previous setup on and off the track.
Congrats! Great input on the settings and feed back. What front sway bar are you running?
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #77
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:

That is the same upgrade I am looking to make

What is your ride heigt set like? Was it the same for the Ohlins and kw?

Also, how is the rebound / bounce between the two. That's the issue I am having with my kw, too much bounce / body motion on rapidly undulating pavement and dips.

Thanks for your feedback. Leaning strongly towards moving to Ohlins.

Any and all feedback, especially compared to kw v3 is helpful!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #78
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

im looking to buy some m3 coilovers, perhaps i can get a cheap set of slightly used kw v3's now everyone is jumping ship to the ohlins
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #79
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
im looking to buy some m3 coilovers, perhaps i can get a cheap set of slightly used kw v3's now everyone is jumping ship to the ohlins
You can buy mine when my Ohlins arrive
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #80
GTSilver
Rep
Drives: '08 997 GT2

Congrats Ohlins suspension is one of the best out there. I have it on my other car and will probably install it in my m3.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #81
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Congrats! Great input on the settings and feed back. What front sway bar are you running?
I'm running rd sport sways in the front and rear. Both were set to their softest setting until now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
That is the same upgrade I am looking to make

What is your ride heigt set like? Was it the same for the Ohlins and kw?

Also, how is the rebound / bounce between the two. That's the issue I am having with my kw, too much bounce / body motion on rapidly undulating pavement and dips.

Thanks for your feedback. Leaning strongly towards moving to Ohlins.

Any and all feedback, especially compared to kw v3 is helpful!
My ride height is pretty high at the moment. So high I was only able to get -1.4 degrees of camber in the rear. I was running really late to get everything done for the track so we had no time to go back to adjust the height and align again. Going to try and get that resolved this week.

The ohlins seem to keep the wheels on the ground really well over rough pavement. Much better than the kw's.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #82
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Ohlins have some of the most beautiful build quality for suspension parts! Precision made in Japan. Very few components these days are built in Japan due to the high labor costs.

Wait until you drive on these. The ride quality and handling is exceptional. It's no wonder that many top end exotics like the Lamborghini, Ferrari and Pagani uses Ohlins.

I miss my Ohlins DFV from my previous car.
I am pretty sure these one come from Sweden not Japan. The Sweden Ohlins are supposed to have the higher quality than the Japanese ones. Not all R&Ts however comes from Sweden.

Last edited by sparoz; 05-01-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #83
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Ohlins have some of the most beautiful build quality for suspension parts! Precision made in Japan. Very few components these days are built in Japan due to the high labor costs.

Wait until you drive on these. The ride quality and handling is exceptional. It's no wonder that many top end exotics like the Lamborghini, Ferrari and Pagani uses Ohlins.

I miss my Ohlins DFV from my previous car.
I am pretty sure these one come from Sweden not Japan. The Sweden Ohlins are supposed to have the higher quality than the Japanese ones. Not all R&Ts however comes from Sweden.
I highly doubt there is any differential between an Ohlins built in Japan or Sweden. Not certian what parts are made where, but Japanese manufacturing is super high quality and meticulous.
Looking for an SUV

Last edited by RingMeister01; 05-02-2013 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #84
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm running rd sport sways in the front and rear. Both were set to their softest setting until now.

My ride height is pretty high at the moment. So high I was only able to get -1.4 degrees of camber in the rear. I was running really late to get everything done for the track so we had no time to go back to adjust the height and align again. Going to try and get that resolved this week.

The ohlins seem to keep the wheels on the ground really well over rough pavement. Much better than the kw's.
It's going to be a long 3 weeks to wait for my set

I went with the kw sleeve kit and the car is all over the place. Bounce's on any road imperfection. I'm happy to hear my second choice will be the right one!

Are you on the springs provided with the kit or did you swap out for swift ones?
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
A lot of the DFV tech comes from Ohlins Japan I believe.
      05-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #86
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
A lot of the DFV tech comes from Ohlins Japan I believe.
Most DFV comes from Japan. However, I am pretty sure it was answered in Harold's thread that these one came from Sweden. I am however not saying they are differing in quality, but thats what some people may believe so . Anyway, probably information that doesn't really add anything to the thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #87
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
It's going to be a long 3 weeks to wait for my set

I went with the kw sleeve kit and the car is all over the place. Bounce's on any road imperfection. I'm happy to hear my second choice will be the right one!

Are you on the springs provided with the kit or did you swap out for swift ones?
I'm using the provided Ohlin springs. (sorry for the late response)

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #88
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm using the provided Ohlin springs. (sorry for the late response)
thank you!
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0