BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

02-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
icyunv
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92,G63,CLS550,458,EVO X FE

kingdoms of amalur: reckoning

put an hour in, pretty good so far. no complaints
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I thought the camera was very finicky in the demo.

Rest of the game seemed o.k.
      02-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
HotSauce
Citizen Snips
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 2009 BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
This game will be awesome. If Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Torchlight had a baby, it would be Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
09 Crimson Red BMW 135i. P3 Boost Gauge, BMW Performance Exhaust, Matte Black Kidney Grills, ST Coil overs, 2013 LCI Taillights, 19" VMR 701 on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, VRSF Intercooler, STETT CAI
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauce View Post
This game will be awesome. If Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Torchlight had a baby, it would be Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
Might have to check this one out....I loved all 3 of those games.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

OMG thank you so much for mentioning this game. This is the greatest game ever!!! I'm suprised it's not making any huge waves as it's still mostly unknown. I played it all weekend, roughly level 20 now. So take my small review for what it's worth.

*Xbox review

Pros:
- Beautiful colorful graphics, like it or hate it, the atmosphere is beautiful. It's a fantasy RPG, and the graphics are cartoon like "aka WoW" but they are very detailed.
- Action. Think of God of War combat inside of an RPG. It's fast and heavy hitting.
- Customizability. There are 3 main skill trees; Might (warrior), Finess (rogue), Magic (mage). Each level you get 3 skill points to go in whatever class you wish. Then you get to choose a skillset point (smithing, alchemy, gem crafting, etc.), and finaly you get 1 Destiny point. The Destinies can be combined (Might/Finess) and add attributes like +crit %, mele damage %, etc. So basically, you play the game how you want it to be played, which is the only similarity to Skyrim
- Tons of quests! You have side quests around town and secondary guild quests similar to Skyrim.
- Fate mode. You can slow down time and perform finishing moves.
- Loot!!! Think of Diablo or WoW. You have rare, unique, set and craftable items. There are weapons galore, never seen such variety. Longsword, greatsword, hammer, daggers, faeblades, ...... it keeps going. You can't dual yeild, that's only for daggers/faeblades.
-Mostly all NPC's have voice over.
- You can re-spec and change your appearance at anytime during the game (if you own the house in Webwood).

Cons:
- Standard go here get this or kill this quests...about the only thing holding this one back.
- Camera angles can be fustrating at times.
- Nothing new in terms of RPG's....but this is not a bad thing.
- Dual yeiling any type of melee weapon would be nice.

Like said before. Nothing new here, this game takes aspects from Diablo, WoW, GoW, Skyrim and turns it into a masterpiece. Sometimes nothing new turns out to be a good thing. If you like any of the games listed above, and who doesn't, you will want to own KoA:R. With so much customization of characters, I think there will be tons of replay value, however, lets see if the quests get old like Skyrim did.

9.5/10 - in my first 20 levels.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /

Last edited by Syndicategt; 02-13-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
OMG thank you so much for mentioning this game. This is the greatest game ever!!! I'm suprised it's not making any huge waves as it's still mostly unknown. I played it all weekend, roughly level 20 now. So take my small review for what it's worth.

Pros:
- Beautiful colorful graphics, like it or hate it, the atmosphere is beautiful. It's a fantasy RPG, and the graphics are cartoon like "aka WoW" but they are very detailed.
- Action. Think of God of War combat inside of an RPG. It's fast and heavy hitting.
- Customizability. There are 3 main skill trees; Might (warrior), Finess (rogue), Magic (mage). Each level you get 3 skill points to go in whatever class you wish. Then you get to choose a skillset point (smithing, alchemy, gem crafting, etc.), and finaly you get 1 Destiny point. The Destinies can be combined (Might/Finess) and add attributes like +crit %, mele damage %, etc. So basically, you play the game how you want it to be played, which is the only similarity to Skyrim
- Tons of quests! You have side quests around town and secondary guild quests similar to Skyrim.
- Fate mode. You can slow down time and perform finishing moves.
- Loot!!! Think of Diablo or WoW. You have rare, unique, set and craftable items. There are weapons galore, never seen such variety. Longsword, greatsword, hammer, daggers, faeblades, ...... it keeps going. You can't dual yeild, that's only for daggers/faeblades.
-Mostly all NPC's have voice over.
- You can re-spec and change your appearance at anytime during the game (if you own the house in Webwood).

Cons:
- Standard go here get this or kill this quests...about the only thing holding this one back.
- Nothing new in terms of RPG's....but this is not a bad thing.
- Dual yeiling any type of melee weapon would be nice.

Like said before. Nothing new here, this game takes aspects from Diablo, WoW, GoW, Skyrim and turns it into a masterpiece. Sometimes nothing new turns out to be a good thing. If you like any of the games listed above, and who doesn't, you will want to own KoA:R. With so much customization of characters, I think there will be tons of replay value, however, lets see if the quests get old like Skyrim did.

9.5/10 - in my first 20 levels.
Your review is missing an important contextual clue. What system are you playing it on?

I play it on PC, and at the moment I would give this game a 3/10. It is clearly a console port, and it doesn't do a lot to hide it. This means it basically plays poorly on the PC. The camera is too close to the character, which means my character is 1/3 of my screen on a 24" monitor, and the camera control is clunky at best. The game's best selling point, it's combat system, is interesting however the other issues overshadow it.

I also found the choices in each skill tree to be more than underwhelming. You don't get many unique attack abilities, mostly passive or combo modifiers. At that point, it would have almost been better to just assign a experience system onto each weapon type and let you progressively get more proficient at each weapon as you used them. This would organically take out the feeling of foresight that you feel you must have when you allocate points into a specific weapon type, seemingly looking yourself in for the foreseeable future. It would also avoid the instant gratification symptoms when you get a super new weapon and then have nothing in your setup that can support it, thusly ruining the whole experience of getting a super-cool new item.

If they cleaned up the PC version or If I played the console version, I may agree with your scoring. However, I still think the camera is too close in even for a console game.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 02-13-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sorry, yea I'm on the XBbox. Sorry to hear about the camera issues, the consol has some minor bugs, which I'll edit. Suck to have all games now becoming consol ports to the PC, should be the other way around.

I do agree about the weapon idea, however, you would be stuck with that weapon thoughout the game. I've found a lot of versatility in the might tree with skills that combine well with my weapons. Another thing I would add is to make requirements on armor such as str/agi/int. I play a warrior type class, however, I don't want to wear heavy armor. I would rather rely on finess type armor with + crit% as I see myself more of a damage base class versus tank role. I've just started crafting, and found out it's easy to make heavy armor with +crit%, but it would be nice to have the option to wear finess set armor without investing 14 skills into finess.

Right now I'm 46 Might / 11 Magic (Chakram secondary weapon owns combined with a Greatsword)

Last edited by Syndicategt; 02-13-2012 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Sorry, yea I'm on the XBbox. Sorry to hear about the camera issues, the consol has some minor bugs, which I'll edit. Suck to have all games now becoming consol ports to the PC, should be the other way around.

I do agree about the weapon idea, however, you would be stuck with that weapon thoughout the game. I've found a lot of versatility in the might tree with skills that combine well with my weapons. Another thing I would add is to make requirements on armor such as str/agi/int. I play a warrior type class, however, I don't want to wear heavy armor. I would rather rely on finess type armor with + crit% as I see myself more of a damage base class versus tank role. I've just started crafting, and found out it's easy to make heavy armor with +crit%, but it would be nice to have the option to wear finess set armor without investing 14 skills into finess.

Right now I'm 46 Might / 11 Magic (Chakram secondary weapon owns combined with a Greatsword)
It's a moot point, but a clarification on the weapon xp idea. It would be xp tables for each and every weapon, and it wouldn't limit you. It would just be, if you equiped daggers, had lvl 5 dagger xp, then did a 3pt combo it would execute. But if you then looted a legendary greatsword, had lvl 1 greatswords, then attempted the same 3pt combo it would only do the basic attack 3 times and the combo wouldn't execute. Basically, how it is in real life. You learn and practice with 1 weapon, and have to do it over again later if you pick up something else.

I agree with your thought on the armor types and requirements.
      02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ Ah I see what you are saying. Similar to Forza 4.....get your car level up to 5 and upgrades are disconted/free etc. We should email or post on their forums with new ideas
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

1 month update:

I'm stilling very much enjoying KoA:R. There will be a huge DLC coming out on March 20th, I cannot wait for that. Just a few things about the game that I hope will get fixed with the update:
- It's a very VERY easy game even on the most difficult setting, maybe because I'm a Battlemage with fully upgraded smithing/sagecrafting. Nothing, I mean nothing can stop me when wearing full crafted prismatic armor / weapons with %crit, % increased crit damage, health regen. I might play though again as a Archer type to see if it makes it harder.
- Improve the skill tree abilites. It's fun to build your character and respec, however, the skill tree does little to enchance your character. (I'm not talking about a mage character) Most of the might and finess tree are just small things to add to your abilities. Maybe it's because the game is so easy, the skill tree feels someone lackluster.
- Smithing needs to be redone. Maxing out this ability does nothing in the end other than the "mastercraft" armor you create......just to rename later. I'd like to see it give a big increase in salvaging "master" materiels.

All in all, one month later this is still a very enjoyable game. I'm looking forward to beginning a new character and playing though the content again before March 20th. Glad to see an update so soon.....unlike Skyrim
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
icyunv
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92,G63,CLS550,458,EVO X FE

^ any more info on the DLC
Appreciate 0