BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

02-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
ndahbar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Thumbs down SUV Owners Must Pay $50 Per Day to Drive in London

London residents ==>

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...-in-london/752

London Mayor Ken Livingstone has partially built his career on making London more environmentally friendly.

He’s made a few missteps in tackling environmental problems, such as the recent law he was promoting that would have hurt on bike use in the city. But today, in the thick of his mayoral re-election campaign, he announced what is in effect a massive tax hike on gas guzzling vehicles in the city of London.

London already charges a tax, known as a congestion charge, on almost all vehicles that enter central and parts of west London. Certain vehicles, such as those hybrids or eco-friendly fuel cars are exempt. Livingstone’s most recent announcement, however, vastly increases the charge for the highest polluting vehicles.

Vehicles in band G, those that emit more than 225 grams of CO2 per kilometre, will pay a whopping £25($50) every day to enter the congestion zone. This will mostly affect heavy 4×4 vehicles. Most other vehicles will continue to pay the daily charge of £8($16).

Livingstone had previously discussed the congestion charge hike, but likely chose to formally announce it now in an effort to strengthen his campaign. He has frequently highlighted his “green” credentials throughout the campaign.

Livingstone said in a written statement: “A key issue at the election is my proposal for a £25-a-day charge for the most CO2-emitting vehicles entering the congestion-charging zone and, after consultation, I will be able to take a decision on this in the coming month. On the environment, the choice is even starker. [Mayoral opponent Boris Johnson] is one of the few politicians who supported George W Bush in opposing the Kyoto treaty.”

The move has come under some criticism from the Automobile Association. They argue the charge will penalize small business owners who use vans to conduct business in the city, as well as large families who must use bigger vehicles to travel.

Info from Guardian Unlimited
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Aidso
Private
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Clio

Congestion charge sucks.

Wonder if I can still register my car as a taxi and be exempt?lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

That's the most brilliant fkn idea I've ever heard!!! Charge those SUV drivers! There's no point to SUVs! They just hog up the road and make the place less safe for us driving cars that are half their size. I wish the US would adopt the idea that hatchbacks/station wagons aren't any worse than SUVs.

God, that's one of the things I miss about Australia and England.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I swear, if I ever see someone drive an SUV, I always ask em, "do you take it offroad?". If they say no, then .

[Edit]: Ignore this post. Emotions got the best of me.

Last edited by Year's_End; 02-05-2008 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

go london!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
they should do it for trucks too... i see so many trucks and SUVs speed these days... and they're the ones guzzling up the most fuel. if i see a honda do the same i'm like whatevs cause even if it speeds it'll probably get better mileage than me.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

$18,000 a year premium tax... Fantastic
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I swear, if I ever see someone drive an SUV, I always ask em, "do you take it offroad?". If they say no, then .
with that kind of mentality, I can go around asking every M3 owner if they track their car, and if not

better yet, the same question goes for the myriad of 335 owners, do you track your car? if not you should've gotten a 328 instead and been more friendly to the environment [rolling eyes]
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well, no, that's not exactly fair. The 335i and the M3 aren't exactly what I'd call a track car. Now, if you ask me whether or not I go on back roads and push the car then yes, I do. They weren't designed for tracks, take the brakes for example.

Now, I know you're a reasonable guy based off of past posts, and yeah, the X5 isn't exactly capable of full-on offroad stuff. But everytime I see something that's capable of said ventures, like a Range Rover, or a Jeep, or whatever, then yeah, I get a little angry because it just doesn't make sense to own an SUV (like the one's I just stated).

Many people's reasons for getting an SUV for, say, their daughter is for "safety". BS I say. It's much safer to be in a car that can avoid the brunt of an accident in the first place, and putting inexperienced drivers in SUVs makes for greater potential hazards for other drivers on the road. They're not as effecient as cars, and they also block the view of the road, like traffic lights. I find "most" SUVs to be pests, and I think the US could learn from European countries or places like Australia when it comes to these matters. If offroading isn't a consideration, then what's wrong with a station wagon or a hatch? You know?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

go london!

the most annoying thing ever is a woman, driving her big SUV, drinking coffee, and talking on the cell phone at the same time! there are a LOT of women in miami who do thisits really annoying because they dont even pay attention to the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
[SIPUT]
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sparkling graphite 320i

Quote:
Well, no, that's not exactly fair. The 335i and the M3 aren't exactly what I'd call a track car. Now, if you ask me whether or not I go on back roads and push the car then yes, I do. They weren't designed for tracks, take the brakes for example.

Now, I know you're a reasonable guy based off of past posts, and yeah, the X5 isn't exactly capable of full-on offroad stuff. But everytime I see something that's capable of said ventures, like a Range Rover, or a Jeep, or whatever, then yeah, I get a little angry because it just doesn't make sense to own an SUV (like the one's I just stated).

Many people's reasons for getting an SUV for, say, their daughter is for "safety". BS I say. It's much safer to be in a car that can avoid the brunt of an accident in the first place, and putting inexperienced drivers in SUVs makes for greater potential hazards for other drivers on the road. They're not as effecient as cars, and they also block the view of the road, like traffic lights. I find "most" SUVs to be pests, and I think the US could learn from European countries or places like Australia when it comes to these matters. If offroading isn't a consideration, then what's wrong with a station wagon or a hatch? You know?
you are so annoying man....its their money...they can buy whatever they want and its none of your business....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #12
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the personal offense. What'd I ever do to you?

And yeah, SUV drivers (in general) do bother me. I kinda like to make it my business. Of course I'm never gonna vent my frustrations at an SUV owner in real life; that'd make me an ass. That's the great thing about forums, you can vent. Who are you to call me annoying anyways?

I made a courteous response that was in no way, shape or form offensive to x5love, or anyone on this board for that matter. I just stated my disdain for SUVs, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
That is the most efficient way to improve traffic though. It is kind of like the toll roads we have in the states.
      02-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SIPUT] View Post
you are so annoying man....its their money...they can buy whatever they want and its none of your business....
give him a break man, as much as I hate to admit it, he does have a good point.

that said, no one should be pissed off at people just because of the car that they drive, and I still stand by my point that with your mentality, its utterly ridiculous to get an M3 which gets sub 20mpg if you're not going to track the car. if you think that if someone doesn't take their SUVs offroad then they're pointless, then the same goes for M3's and tracks, you will never, ever (without breaking some serious laws and putting lots of people's lives at risk) realize the full potential of a gas guzzling, CO2 emitting M3 on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #15
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

No I understand your point, but I need to restate my opinion. Let me tone it down a little. I don't think it makes sense...for the most part...to own an SUV like a Range Rover, when you could be well off with an E-Class touring or something of the like. I think it has to do with my overall impression of SUV drivers, especially down in my area. They kind of have this feeling that they own the road. Usually it's a soccer mom, or some teen or some grumpy old guy that's doing this. They make it hard for me to see at intersections, especially busy ones where I have to make a left but there's no left turn arrow. I'm sorry if I came off harsh, I'm a bit eccentric when it comes to this subject, but I've had a few too many negative experiences when it comes to SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #16
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
I love America, but it often seems that in the secret heart of every freedom-loving American lurks a dictator that would make Stalin and Hitler pull away with fear and revulsion.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #17
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

How do you charge that amount for driving an SUV. Personally I dont like them but why are you guys all happy that they might charge such an enourmous amount. Maybe we should start charging for all who have 300 hp and above because they go to fast. Or charge over weight people more money to ride the bus because their weight makes the buses use more fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I love America, but it often seems that in the secret heart of every freedom-loving American lurks a dictator that would make Stalin and Hitler pull away with fear and revulsion.
I was a bit overboard. It's just that I'd like to see a movement away from SUVs in America. We'd benefit in the longrun in a number of ways.
Appreciate 0