BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Track car (low budget) give me options yo
Mini Cooper S 2 5.26%
VW GTi 2 5.26%
VW R32 3 7.89%
WRX 3 7.89%
S2000 21 55.26%
Toyota/Subaru ft-86 1 2.63%
Huyoandi Genesis 3 7.89%
Nissan 370z 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

01-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
The real question is whether you want to be quick or just have a lot of fun and hone your driving skill. If it's option 2 then I would be incline to pick something relatively light and lowish in power output, that means easy on tyres, easy on brakes and reasonably easy on the drivetrain. It will also keep you out of trouble as entry speeds will not be scary quick but will also teach you the valuable art of maintaining speed through the corners to try and keep up.

I reckon the Miata (MX5) would be the ideal choice, it's a Mazda so will be reliable, it's rwd which is a basic requirement you were looking, it's light so will produce less wear and tear and it's got a relatively low PTW so will teach you the importance of maintaining speed at all times, plus it will throw the tail if you just want a day of fun.

The other bonus of this option is the numerous amount of clubs to join and get the perfect kit to transform your street car to trackday special on a budget.

The ideal car in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Yeah...I would have you consider the following instead:

1) E36 M3
2) 90-97 Miata
3) E30 325i

Those other ones seem too expensive and not that good for track use...unless you modify the crap outta them...the ones listed below are more easily adapted.

BTW, I had an ex-E30 325i race car..and a spec miata in the past.

I personally dont like the S2000 that much. I have instructed in many of them...and am not too smitten. I have several friends with Evos...but that can get expensive too.

You really need to give us your budget for the car and the mods you want on it.
Wouldn't an E36 M3 be a little pricey to maintain?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #25
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The real question is whether you want to be quick or just have a lot of fun and hone your driving skill. If it's option 2 then I would be incline to pick something relatively light and lowish in power output, that means easy on tyres, easy on brakes and reasonably easy on the drivetrain. It will also keep you out of trouble as entry speeds will not be scary quick but will also teach you the valuable art of maintaining speed through the corners to try and keep up.

I reckon the Miata (MX5) would be the ideal choice, it's a Mazda so will be reliable, it's rwd which is a basic requirement you were looking, it's light so will produce less wear and tear and it's got a relatively low PTW so will teach you the importance of maintaining speed at all times, plus it will throw the tail if you just want a day of fun.

The other bonus of this option is the numerous amount of clubs to join and get the perfect kit to transform your street car to trackday special on a budget.

The ideal car in my mind.
It's like you read my mind. Exactly why I want a Miata for a toy, they're not so blindingly fast I have to worry about putting it sideways at 130+ mph. Plus being a convertible they're fun to cruise around town in nice weather. Maybe my fiance would finally learn to drive a stick if I got one of those. My cars are too fast for her...especially the STi.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #26
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

MR-S/MR2 Spyder with a 2zz engine swap and 6spd manual. Then s/c or turbo it.
Will be sub 1000kgs with easy 300whp on stock engine internals. Or built engine and run anywhere upto 600whp.

Would be cheap cheap to buy one used with high kms, engine swaps easily available from monekywrech.com and it would be a weapon. Check out spyderchat.com for lots more info. Lots of suspension parts available. You could build an amazing track car.

Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #27
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
the miata is the best low budget track car you can get hands down. Its cheap, parts are more then affordable and its got a sturdy frame. This is the car to have if youre just getting into tracking
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #28
I'm back
...Confused
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335d sedan

From the list, s2000 hands down.

I'm just throwing it out there, what about an RX-8. I don't have much experience with them, but it should be a fun track car...
Appreciate 0