BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
rmashman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Sycamore Anthracite Wood Trim

I am still on my search for the interior trim. I am going to order the extended silver leather.

Does anyone have any photos/comments on this trim? Is it really black/grey in tone or does it have some brown?

I checked through all of the cars on the USBMW site and they all have other grey/back woods. The Sycamore Anthracite seems exclusive to the M3.

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmashman View Post
I am still on my search for the interior trim. I am going to order the extended silver leather.

Does anyone have any photos/comments on this trim? Is it really black/grey in tone or does it have some brown?

I checked through all of the cars on the USBMW site and they all have other grey/back woods. The Sycamore Anthracite seems exclusive to the M3.
I haven't seen any actual photos of it installed. Here is the image from the ordering guide. I don't typically like woods in sporting cars, but this is close to black and might not be bad.
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I think this might be it???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yes, you're right. Makes sense in the convertible, which might be considered more luxury oriented.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Yes, you're right. Makes sense in the convertible, which might be considered more luxury oriented.
Yeah, but I agree that wood is not the best material for a sports car interior. Piano Black, which is not available in the US, might look nice, but I would be concerned with stratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the input.
If you are going with silver leather, I would consider Aluminum or the Carbon Leather trim. I don't think Sycamore Anthracite will look all that good with silver. It looks fine with Bamboo though in the pic above.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

I think wood would also go well with black interior as it is dark but I agree with above post - sliver may be too much of a contrast....I may get wood with black interior come to think of it
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

IMHO, Aluminum looks great with black leather. I think a few pics for that combo has been posted here. I haven't seen pics of the black/wood combo.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
The wood trim look is a bit old for me. I dont think it belongs on a sports car, on a S class Mercedez or 7 series yes.
      01-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
rmashman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
The wood trim look is a bit old for me. I dont think it belongs on a sports car, on a S class Mercedez or 7 series yes.
Thanks for your comments.

You guys may be right about wood in a sports car. I just don't like the stamped carbon leather. I think the aluminum is just too bright and clashes with the extended silver leather. So that's why I am attracted to the standard Titanium Shadow. To get it, thought, I have to forgo the premium package. Fortunately, you can get most of the content of the package as individual options.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your comments.

You guys may be right about wood in a sports car. I just don't like the stamped carbon leather. I think the aluminum is just too bright and clashes with the extended silver leather. So that's why I am attracted to the standard Titanium Shadow. To get it, thought, I have to forgo the premium package. Fortunately, you can get most of the content of the package as individual options.
I agree with you. The carbon leather is visually and intellectually confused, it's a bastard offspring that should have never seen daylight. Frankly, it might as well be vinyl, surely it doesn't look anything like leather. I'd rather just have plain leather trim.

Aluminum is too high contrast and cold, it jumps out too much and doesn't compliment any of the interior colors. It also looks like every other car out there now, 8 years ago it was novel, now it's in trucks.

I wish Sycamore was more black with just a hint of wood grain showing thru, because the interior needs a bit of reflectance to offset all the matte finishes.

Piano black would be perfect in the fox red, silver or black interiors. Hopefully someone resourceful will be able to bring it in bulk for a reasonable cost and those with carbon leather can sell it to 3 series owners, who'll may kill for the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
JPH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
I agree with you. The carbon leather is visually and intellectually confused, it's a bastard offspring that should have never seen daylight. Frankly, it might as well be vinyl, surely it doesn't look anything like leather. I'd rather just have plain leather trim.

Aluminum is too high contrast and cold, it jumps out too much and doesn't compliment any of the interior colors. It also looks like every other car out there now, 8 years ago it was novel, now it's in trucks.

I wish Sycamore was more black with just a hint of wood grain showing thru, because the interior needs a bit of reflectance to offset all the matte finishes.

Piano black would be perfect in the fox red, silver or black interiors. Hopefully someone resourceful will be able to bring it in bulk for a reasonable cost and those with carbon leather can sell it to 3 series owners, who'll may kill for the stuff.
I completely agree with Consolidated. I consulted my car designing brother and he had much the same to say. They should have just put CF in instead of the carbon-leather. I ordered the sycamore anthracite with FR and if I do not like the wood...I am going to tear it off, sand it down and have it painted either piano black or SG to match the exterior. Sometimes, you gotta be creative to get what you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

1. the silver looks great w/ grey leather - but agree w/ the above; it's in cars way down to sub-20k, so not as special as it used to be
2. CF leather - why?!! CF roof can be done, just add in a bit more - it is a "bastard child"
3. I don't agree that wood is not sporting. Fact is wood's got a wonderful heritage in sports cars - so maybe posters mean F1-type, ie racing sporting in the post-modern, composite era. Funny thing is that wood is still used in F1 cars today - just not the dash
4. I think the wood goes well w/ bamboo. I'm not drawn to it w/ the rest.

I suspect the CF is the main default - just wish it were true CF.

For those getting custom piano black: nice idea and good luck w/ that.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-14-2008 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
I completely agree with Consolidated. I consulted my car designing brother and he had much the same to say. They should have just put CF in instead of the carbon-leather. I ordered the sycamore anthracite with FR and if I do not like the wood...I am going to tear it off, sand it down and have it painted either piano black or SG to match the exterior. Sometimes, you gotta be creative to get what you want.
I can't agree more with you. And the problem with anthracite is that it has a "brownish" tone that it's definetely not sporty. A black wood would have been nice. Brown with fox red interior:

Now, nobody mentioned the titanium shadow. It's the standard trim, and seems to be quite neutral. Seems to match the fox red.

I was going to order the premium pack just for the carbon leather trim, but after I saw TS, that was it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
SeanFitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 330Ci

here's black with wood, which looks pretty good i think. i don't have the problem with wood in a sporting car that many here seem to. still, none of our options are great.

obviously plenty of aftermarket trims will be available as well, though i don't really like this hartge carbon fiber. i like JPH's idea of trim painted in the car's exterior color, like in certain porsches...that could look really good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I was going to order the premium pack just for the carbon leather trim, but after I saw TS, that was it.

could be mistaken here...but i thought that TS was not available with premium pack? or am i misreading your post? is it $500 standalone?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #17
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
could be mistaken here...but i thought that TS was not available with premium pack? or am i misreading your post? is it $500 standalone?
Titanium Shadow is standard, it does not cost $500.
      02-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #18
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Titanium Shadow is standard, it does not cost $500.
no shit...guess i should stop smoking all that weed. haha. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
TS trim with ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
Not sure if anyone has tried to pick it with Premium. It is in the no cost basic spec., however, the way the Ordering Guide reads you do not have that choice with ZPP. You can do stand-alone leather, but you cannot get the folding mirrors, Assist, UGDO or compass mirror as standalone. The UGDO can be added by chaning out the mirror, I believe.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #20
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
I dont this wood would go with the silver. May be because I dont like Wood interiors at all.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #21
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Indeed it is. Thanks for posting Lucid; me likey.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Indeed it is. Thanks for posting Lucid; me likey.
What color combo do you have in mind? I might have considered wood with FR if it was darker, like a real black finish.
Appreciate 0