BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

07-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Talking In good company>>>

Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I have discovered that at many car shows, my e92 generates more interest than many exotics. Why? The exotics are simply not a reality for most people. People glance them over then move on. The M3 is within the realm of many people's reality, even if it may be a stretch. It is something to aspire for, etc. People really check out the car and ask questions. This doesn't happen with the Lambos, etc.

Last edited by LarThaL; 07-06-2014 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I have discovered that at many car shows, my e92 is generates more interest than many exotics. Why? The exotics are simply not a reality for most people. People glance them over then move on. The M3 is within the realm of many people's reality, even if it may be a stretch. It is something to aspire for, etc. People really check out the car and ask questions. This doesn't happen with the Lambos, etc.
very true, I see it all the time.

but yes good company
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have discovered that at many car shows, my e92 is generates more interest than many exotics. Why? The exotics are simply not a reality for most people. People glance them over then move on. The M3 is within the realm of many people's reality, even if it may be a stretch. It is something to aspire for, etc. People really check out the car and ask questions. This doesn't happen with the Lambos, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Autocouture View Post
very true, I see it all the time.

but yes good company
Hmmm, not so true here. Everyone is droolling overt the exotics. My car is usually one of the cheapest ones in the cars and coffee

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Most of the car shows around here have the same ol' 60's/70's Camaros and Mustangs and custom rods over and over, so I will spend more time checking out newer rides when I find one. Last car show I attended I spent more time looking over a 2005 Ford GT than anything else out there, just 'cuz I don't see them as much and it could be a car worth owning. I would agree that if you think a car might be something you would buy in the future, it becomes much more interesting!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
nks_bb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Always happened to me before I had the M. Never really went towards the exotics.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:33 AM   #7
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I would love to have any one of those super cars in my garage, but as a daily driver, I am more than content with my M3. The only thing I would really replace it with is a 911 turbo, but that's not within my reach just yet.

So, I would argue that the other cars are in the 'good company'
      07-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #8
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Here's something I had posted back in 2012.....

Exotics: Is the fantasy better than reality

As M3 owners, we may take our cars for granted once in a while, but they are close to the top of the automotive food chain. Still, I am sure that many M3 owners fantasize about exotic car ownership "someday". For me, that "someday" is just around the corner, and in fact, if I really wanted, I could go out and pick up a Gallardo or 458 tomorrow.

However, now that I am there, and find myself thinking about the actual ownership experience, I am really thinking, no.

Firstly, I truly love driving. I often take my M3 out early on weekend mornings and just blast through the countryside. Moreso, however, is that even much of the fun I have in the car is interspersed with practical transport. Take the "fun road" on the way to home depot or to get groceries. Drop the kids off at a friends, or school or activities, then have a spirited drive back home on my own. The M3 allows me to do this. I just can't see going to the supermarket in an exotic. I couldn't see waiting in the drop off line for my daughters school in a Gallardo with all the other parents in their crossovers and Minivans.

The bottom line here is that the exotic would mostly be a garage queen. And this is what most exotics are for everybody. If you look at the mileage of these cars on the used market, you see that they seldom get driven. It becomes more just about owning it than actually driving it.

Secondly, unless you live in a few select metro areas, getting service is a real pain. The nearest Ferrari dealer is 85 miles way for me. By contrast, the BMW dealer is 3 miles away.

Third, God forbid you get into an accident. Getting parts for an exotic can also be a pain.

Fourth, I think I would be just too self conscious driving around in one. While the M3 gets more looks than I would have thought, it is still doesn't outrageously draw attention to itself. It doesn't say from a mile away "Look at me officer. I drive fast!!!" or "Hey Mr. Carjacker, I have gobs of money". I personally just don't want that kind of attention. It is not a good kind of attention. Again, that relegates the exotic to sit in the garage most of the time.

Then you have a car like the M3, which is 90-95% of what the exotics are in terms of exclusivity, style, and pure performance. Yet you can truly enjoy it all the time and it isn't a pain in the ass to own.

Of course, there are the super wealthy who completely live in a world of their own, and for them, these sorts of things just don't come into consideration, I suppose. For them, there is little difference between owning a 458 Italia and buying a tube of toothpaste. I am not sure I would want to be that rich, where even the things of the highest material caliber become valueless.

Anyway, for those of us who may be in the "top 1%", but not in the "top 0.01%", maybe an M3, overall, is as good as it gets??

One thing has changed, however in my thought process. I think when I retire, and all my time becomes leisure time, that then might be the time to buy one of these fantasy machines. In fact, most of the people that I see owning these cars are in their 60s/70s.

Last edited by LarThaL; 07-06-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

So you are old and cowardly, got it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #10
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
...... maybe a (fill in the blank) is as good as it gets??
Instinctively do not like this phrase.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
I have discovered that at many car shows, my e92 generates more interest than many exotics. Why? The exotics are simply not a reality for most people. People glance them over then move on. The M3 is within the realm of many people's reality, even if it may be a stretch. It is something to aspire for, etc. People really check out the car and ask questions. This doesn't happen with the Lambos, etc.
At the local Cars and Coffee here in Orange County... They won't let me in with my M3... They tell me its because I have too many doors and they make me turn around to park in the structure with all the other regular sedans... Seems the organizers don't have any appreciation for the M3 whereas they'll let mustangs and camaros in to park with all the exotics
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
MikeD
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Here's something I had posted back in 2012.....

Exotics: Is the fantasy better than reality

As M3 owners, we may take our cars for granted once in a while, but they are close to the top of the automotive food chain. Still, I am sure that many M3 owners fantasize about exotic car ownership "someday". For me, that "someday" is just around the corner, and in fact, if I really wanted, I could go out and pick up a Gallardo or 458 tomorrow.

However, now that I am there, and find myself thinking about the actual ownership experience, I am really thinking, no.

Firstly, I truly love driving. I often take my M3 out early on weekend mornings and just blast through the countryside. Moreso, however, is that even much of the fun I have in the car is interspersed with practical transport. Take the "fun road" on the way to home depot or to get groceries. Drop the kids off at a friends, or school or activities, then have a spirited drive back home on my own. The M3 allows me to do this. I just can't see going to the supermarket in an exotic. I couldn't see waiting in the drop off line for my daughters school in a Gallardo with all the other parents in their crossovers and Minivans.

The bottom line here is that the exotic would mostly be a garage queen. And this is what most exotics are for everybody. If you look at the mileage of these cars on the used market, you see that they seldom get driven. It becomes more just about owning it than actually driving it.

Secondly, unless you live in a few select metro areas, getting service is a real pain. The nearest Ferrari dealer is 85 miles way for me. By contrast, the BMW dealer is 3 miles away.

Third, God forbid you get into an accident. Getting parts for an exotic can also be a pain.

Fourth, I think I would be just too self conscious driving around in one. While the M3 gets more looks than I would have thought, it is still doesn't outrageously draw attention to itself. It doesn't say from a mile away "Look at me officer. I drive fast!!!" or "Hey Mr. Carjacker, I have gobs of money". I personally just don't want that kind of attention. It is not a good kind of attention. Again, that relegates the exotic to sit in the garage most of the time.

Then you have a car like the M3, which is 90-95% of what the exotics are in terms of exclusivity, style, and pure performance. Yet you can truly enjoy it all the time and it isn't a pain in the ass to own.

Of course, there are the super wealthy who completely live in a world of their own, and for them, these sorts of things just don't come into consideration, I suppose. For them, there is little difference between owning a 458 Italia and buying a tube of toothpaste. I am not sure I would want to be that rich, where even the things of the highest material caliber become valueless.

Anyway, for those of us who may be in the "top 1%", but not in the "top 0.01%", maybe an M3, overall, is as good as it gets??

One thing has changed, however in my thought process. I think when I retire, and all my time becomes leisure time, that then might be the time to buy one of these fantasy machines. In fact, most of the people that I see owning these cars are in their 60s/70s.

Ha! Good read. I don't think we are in the top 1% though. I think more like top 5%.

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/tax...-taxpayer.html
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
At the local Cars and Coffee here in Orange County... They won't let me in with my M3... They tell me its because I have too many doors and they make me turn around to park in the structure with all the other regular sedans... Seems the organizers don't have any appreciation for the M3 whereas they'll let mustangs and camaros in to park with all the exotics
I wonder what would happen if you showed up in an Audi RS7 or Panamera Turbo S or M6 Gran Coupe.

I think Socal, and OC in particular, is another world when it comes to cars. M3's are quite "ordinary" there for lack of a better term. It is quite odd, however, about this 2-door/4-door thing, but I see it all the time at car shows. Some old time car show organizers have a soft spot for American Muscle due to the nostalgia factor.
      07-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Ha! Good read. I don't think we are in the top 1% though. I think more like top 5%
Not a huge difference between top 5% and top 1%. Enormous difference between top 1% and top 0.1%.
      07-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
MikeD
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
Maybe it's a E90 thing, E90s are not read M3s
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
MikeD
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Hmmm, not so true here. Everyone is droolling overt the exotics. My car is usually one of the cheapest ones in the cars and coffee
There is a pretty expensive silver Toyota Camry a few row behind that F360 in pic 1
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
I would love to have any one of those super cars in my garage, but as a daily driver, I am more than content with my M3. The only thing I would really replace it with is a 911 turbo, but that's not within my reach just yet.

So, I would argue that the other cars are in the 'good company'
best move I ever made
      07-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #18
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
There is a pretty expensive silver Toyota Camry a few row behind that F360 in pic 1
He/she was shopping at Giant. Not a part of the C&C.

Appreciate 0