BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins
Thanks man
      02-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: :O

Garage List
I ordered some Turner test pipes to match up with my M Performance exhaust. I'll get some before and after clips with my GoPro3. They're en route and I'll get a chance to install them next Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Conv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I ordered some Turner test pipes to match up with my M Performance exhaust. I'll get some before and after clips with my GoPro3. They're en route and I'll get a chance to install them next Sunday.
Nice! You sell your other car yet? Looks like you're getting your M in great shape. Looking forward to seeing the changes.

2009 AM V8 Vantage Conv - Berwick Bronze, Quicksilver Exhaust
2013 M3 Conv - (RIP) thanks to uninsured a-hole
2004 Porsche 911 C4S Conv
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #26
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ
My car came with the M-Performance exhaust on it. The exhaust sounded really exotic with the perfect pitch. It sounds better outside the car than from the cabin, in the cabin it's too quiet IMO.
If I could have paired it with an X-Pipe, without it getting raspy, I would have kept it.
I am very interested to hear your thoughts after installing the test pipes.

Most people that were selling their M-Performance (myself included) were selling because they wanted to pair with an X-Pipe.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Im sorry when you buy a muffler you are mainly looking to change the sound.....

Oh you must be one of those guys who thinks you can get 15whp from a muffler swap lol...... carry on.
Actually no Dbag....I supercharged my M3 for more power, but thanks for the useless commentary.

My point was a higher price tag does not equal MORE sound as you so ineptly stated...

Akrapovic....arguably one of the BEST made exhausts on the market with a high price tag to match....far from the loudest on the market.

Gintani Race....in the middle range of the price spectrum, one of the loudest units you can buy.

Now run along and go play in your sandbox
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
Schom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e92 6mt

You can buy this exhaust new from a dealer on ebay for $3200 all day long.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
Nice! You sell your other car yet? Looks like you're getting your M in great shape. Looking forward to seeing the changes.
Thanks Jimmy! I also ordered some Eibach springs too.. Haven't sold the other car yet; it's tough selling a modified car. We'll see what happens with that. Oh, but here's a video of me racing my brother's Genesis in it... He gave up after a certain point. Bad start, but once the turbo spooled.. buh bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
My car came with the M-Performance exhaust on it. The exhaust sounded really exotic with the perfect pitch. It sounds better outside the car than from the cabin, in the cabin it's too quiet IMO.
If I could have paired it with an X-Pipe, without it getting raspy, I would have kept it.
I am very interested to hear your thoughts after installing the test pipes.

Most people that were selling their M-Performance (myself included) were selling because they wanted to pair with an X-Pipe.
Test pipes seem to make the most sense.. if it gets too raspy or doesn't sound right, then they can be taken off and resonators welded into them.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #30
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Actually no Dbag....I supercharged my M3 for more power, but thanks for the useless commentary.

My point was a higher price tag does not equal MORE sound as you so ineptly stated...

Akrapovic....arguably one of the BEST made exhausts on the market with a high price tag to match....far from the loudest on the market.

Gintani Race....in the middle range of the price spectrum, one of the loudest units you can buy.

Now run along and go play in your sandbox

My point------------>

your head-----------

When did I say a higher price tag equals more sound???

I was just complaining that the M-performance, one of the more expensive mufflers out there, is too quiet. So your whole post makes no sense.

My argument was that if you are going to pay that much for a muffler you should get the whole package; sound and quality.

Theres a reason why the M-performance and Akra are 2 of the mufflers most often for sale on the used parts section on this forum.

Now use your head for once and apply those lost reading comprehension skills before you derail the thread with another long and unlettered post.

kthanxbai!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post

When did I say a higher price tag equals more sound???

"That exhaust is overpriced for the sound you get." -Dbag

Reading comp101. Maybe it's not what you MEANT to imply...but you made a direct correlation between "sound" and price. Whether you meant loudness or quality of sound is irrelevant. Both are stupid comments... You're paying that price obviously for OEM build quality/fit and the BMW name.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #32
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Holy crap, Dan. Your Focus is a beast! Good luck in the sell. I'm looking to do the AA X-Pipe/HFC option. Just called them to talk about emissions. That's something I have to think about. Do I wanna swap it out every other year? Not sure yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #33
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Great. I am very interested in your feedback on how it sounds
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Holy crap, Dan. Your Focus is a beast! Good luck in the sell. I'm looking to do the AA X-Pipe/HFC option. Just called them to talk about emissions. That's something I have to think about. Do I wanna swap it out every other year? Not sure yet.
You won't need to out here. They plug into the OBD-2 port and so long as you don't have more than 1 code stored, you'll pass. Mike should be able to set your tune up for the removed cat. They don't do visual inspections out here. I passed with my focus (no cats, motor swap, turbo).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #35
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

I had Eisenmann Race with X-Pipe before and just got the Lime Rock which has performance exhaust. Obviously much quieter, but like others have said the Inconel material really provides a different resonance....it sounds great. I am installing the x-pipe (no secondary cats) tomorrow and will report back on how that sounds. If that sounds good I'll sell you my eisenmann race haha

And btw, the catback install is easy. Just need some WD40. I did it with ramps.
      03-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
The M Performance exhaust definitely has a unique tone that's somewhat exotic. The iconel is part of why it's more money. You used to be able to option Eisenmann exhaust in inconel also, which raises the prie significantly. Not sure if they still offer that option or not. The Eisenmann race is definitely deeper in tone as well as louder. That's why you also get some pretty major drone at 3k rpms. Not everyone likes bass to practically make the car unbearable to drive at that rpm. For those that drive on the highway a lot, that's a major factor since its right in that rpm window most of the time. Just some things to think about. Exhaust sound is very subjective!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeneral101 View Post
I had Eisenmann Race with X-Pipe before and just got the Lime Rock which has performance exhaust. Obviously much quieter, but like others have said the Inconel material really provides a different resonance....it sounds great. I am installing the x-pipe (no secondary cats) tomorrow and will report back on how that sounds. If that sounds good I'll sell you my eisenmann race haha

And btw, the catback install is easy. Just need some WD40. I did it with ramps.
Interested to hear this setup. Are you able to get some video of revs and also under acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

Quote:
Interested to hear this setup. Are you able to get some video of revs and also under acceleration?
yeah I'll take a before and after. I'll try to make the sound quality higher if I have time (ie not with a smartphone).
      03-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #39
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

what kind of paint are people throwing on the cans to black them out? i know that turner sells it already painted, but they are 800-1000 over where i can find them on EBAY and paint them myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
etrillion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Install should be no more than $100...

definitely a DIY if you're up for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ
You won't need to out here. They plug into the OBD-2 port and so long as you don't have more than 1 code stored, you'll pass. Mike should be able to set your tune up for the removed cat. They don't do visual inspections out here. I passed with my focus (no cats, motor swap, turbo).
Thanks for the info. If I can get it coded by Mike to get me through AZDOT then I think it's a done deal. I'm waiting on an email response from him. Also might try I stalling myself. I really miss working on my cars.

2009 AM V8 Vantage Conv - Berwick Bronze, Quicksilver Exhaust
2013 M3 Conv - (RIP) thanks to uninsured a-hole
2004 Porsche 911 C4S Conv
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #42
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
Do you have a link to the diy
Quote:
Thanks for the info. If I can get it coded by Mike to get me through AZDOT then I think it's a done deal. I'm waiting on an email response from him. Also might try I stalling myself. I really miss working on my cars.
YES, DIY FTMFW!!!
here are a couple DIY links that helped me

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299777

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ight=shiblanor

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
PhoenixRising
Important text here
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Suh-weet!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #44
SYZ
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
^^ if you need any help Jimmy, I'd be glad to lend a hand or a tool.
Appreciate 0