BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
radm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black

shadowline trim us e93m3

Have been trolling and living vicariously through all those who have taken delivery. Time has come to order my m3vert, did not see shadowline trim on the option list the dealer faxed me, anyone else been able to order this option in the us?

btw CA says no holdup on DCT.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

okay so this is a good question...because someone posted earlier today that they ordered an e93 with high gloss shadowline trim. until i saw that post, i was 100 percent certain that shadowline was NOT available on the vert. the only option is the standard alloy looking trim you see on the 335i. i asked the same question on the other thread and am pretty sure that shadowline is not an option. i think that guy is mistaken that he ordered it (he was in the UK though).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
dar2008
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and E92 M3 Comp

No, not mistaken...

If you go on the BMW UK website, you can select it in the M3 Convertible configurator,... you can actually see the little picture of your car that they display on the screen changes when you select this option.

Also, it is listed on my order from my BMW dealer. If it truly isn't available, I shall want to know why they are charging me £350 for it
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
radm3
Private
United_States
Rep

dar2008 is correct for UK configurator but here in the US we do not have configurator up and running. All I have to go on is the order sheet given to me by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

okay...so dar is right. it is available in the UK. but in the US???????
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I thought shadowline was standard for all US M3s? Is it not on the vert?
      04-15-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
radm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Haven't seen any examples on the net with shadowline, just on the virtual ones on the UK configurator.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
CATAHOULA
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Coming

When I placed my order, the dealer originally offered shadowline and then after checking (during M3 training) told me it is NOT an available option on the vert.

Hate to add to the confusion... but here in Canada shadowline is NOT avail.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Wow, no shadowline for the E93 M3 in US/Canada? WTF is BMW NA thinking? It should be standard and if anything the titanium trim (or whichever it is called) should not be available.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wow, no shadowline for the E93 M3 in US/Canada? WTF is BMW NA thinking? It should be standard and if anything the titanium trim (or whichever it is called) should not be available.
yeah...i don't think that this is anything new. we new from the original press release. i have no clue why they offer it in the UK and europe but not in the states though. do they honestly think that we prefer the alloy trim over shadowline? +1 on WTF BMW NA! the titanium shadow trim is cool, but there is no consistency with these options. perhaps it has something to do with the fact that BMW NA has excess vert tops (i am almost 100 percent sure that the top is the same on the regular 3 series as it is on the e93 m3) that they are using on the M3 and that is why you get stuck with the alloy trim....thoughts????
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Strange. The worldwide launch for the e93 M3 was Geneva, and the car definitely had shadowline trim. I just made the assumption that shadowline would be available worldwide. I was counting on the shadowline to help diminish the "chopped" look of the folding hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
yeah...i don't think that this is anything new. we new from the original press release. i have no clue why they offer it in the UK and europe but not in the states though. do they honestly think that we prefer the alloy trim over shadowline? +1 on WTF BMW NA! the titanium shadow trim is cool, but there is no consistency with these options. perhaps it has something to do with the fact that BMW NA has excess vert tops (i am almost 100 percent sure that the top is the same on the regular 3 series as it is on the e93 m3) that they are using on the M3 and that is why you get stuck with the alloy trim....thoughts????
I honestly think that BMW NA trades on options vs. cost. I am willing to bet that by limiting orders to only certain options, the factory is actually able to operate more efficiently and thus produce the cars slightly cheaper for BMW NA. I.e. the fewer possible options, the less the car costs to build, as long as it is amortized over a significant number of cars of course. And because of this, for each option they don't offer they get the cars just a little bit cheaper than they otherwise would have. It might sound dumb but it makes sense if you think about it. Obviously there is a reason why BMW NA doesn't just offer the entire list of options like you can get in most other regions. I'll bet they very carefully pick and choose and widdle it down as much as they can.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
radm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quick update.

went to spec my car today. When the sales manager was plugging the specs in ,as I watched, it would not take the DCT order for their may allocations.
The good news is he says shadowline trim is not listed on the option sheet b/c it is standard.

I guess I will be waiting longer and maybe even for the first batch of 09's if it is more than another month.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It might sound dumb but it makes sense if you think about it. Obviously there is a reason why BMW NA doesn't just offer the entire list of options like you can get in most other regions. I'll bet they very carefully pick and choose and widdle it down as much as they can.
+1...doesn't sound dumb at all. i think you are spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radm3 View Post
When the sales manager was plugging the specs in ,as I watched, it would not take the DCT order for their may allocations.
The good news is he says shadowline trim is not listed on the option sheet b/c it is standard..
did he say that shadowline was standard, or did he show you somewhere in the system that it is listed as standard. i don't know how much you trust your CA...but, unfortunately, some are more informed than others.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #15
radm3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
+1...doesn't sound dumb at all. i think you are spot on.

did he say that shadowline was standard, or did he show you somewhere in the system that it is listed as standard. i don't know how much you trust your CA...but, unfortunately, some are more informed than others.
He(Sales Manager at the dealership) said that shadowline was on the literature(ie brochures) which he gave to me and stated that if it is not an option then it should be there. Seemed like a straight shooter and only one at the dealership that had the ability to order the convertible on his pc. He was going to check with some people in spartanburg, sc(where the big US facility is) regarding M-DCT availability.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #16
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e xDrive iPerformance

So does anyone know if the shadowline trim is going to make it on the MY09 M3's for the US? From the product information that I've seen thus far, I haven't seen anything.
Appreciate 0