BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
jaeS4
Private
Rep
Drives: s4

Cadillac prices 2009 CTS-V from $59,995:

It's probably not an M3 competition, but price wise it would or should be. It is quite a bargain for $60k considering the performance and power you'd be getting. Nice job Cadillac.

-Jae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog
The Cadillac CTS-V has already proven that its impressive power stats translate nicely to the track with sub-8 minute 'Ring times and a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. The General is also positioning its new 556-hp halo sedan as a performance bargain, having announced today that it will go on sale around November 1 with a starting price of just $59,995. That's more than $40,000 cheaper than the less powerful XLR-V, and we'd argue the CTS-V is more attractive with its v2.0 Art and Science styling and works much better as a daily driver with its back seat and usable trunk. The CTS-V also makes the larger $80,900 STS-V sedan completely irrelevant considering its 86-hp power advantage, improved aesthetics and quicker moves. Even the vaunted BMW M5 with its higher starting price of $83,900 and less powerful 500-hp 5.0L V10 engine can't touch the CTS-V in price or performance.
PRESS RELEASE:

Cadillac's All-New 2009 CTS-V Ready For Launch

The 2009 CTS-V, Cadillac's 556-hp expression of ultimate performance and luxury, begins production this month with initial sales beginning around November 1. The latest in the brand's V-Series of high performance models, the new CTS-V is intended to reach the top of the world's most desirable luxury cars, at a starting price of $59,995 in the US market.

"The launch of the new CTS-V presents a compelling proposition for luxury and performance enthusiasts," says Mark McNabb, North America vice president, Cadillac/Premium Channel. "The CTS-V is a strong statement about Cadillac design and technology and a new member in the club of the highest performing luxury cars."

The CTS-V, based on Cadillac's critically acclaimed CTS sports sedan, expresses the full extent of the brand's dramatic design and technology. Designed to enter the stratosphere of the world's fastest and most exclusive luxury sedans, CTS-V includes advanced performance technology such as a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 engine and Magnetic Ride Control, the world's fastest reacting suspension.

The new CTS-V comes standard with a nearly complete collection of features, including a hand-crafted cabin, a 6-speed manual transmission and a Bose surround sound system with a 40-gigabyte hard drive with a USB port. In addition there are a few options available, including a new 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel mounted shift buttons, 14-way adjustable Recaro performance seats, microfiber interior accents and a large "Ultra-View" sunroof.
"Along with the new Escalade Hybrid, the CTS-V is a key aspect in Cadillac's ongoing renaissance, with dramatic designs and very sophisticated technologies for luxury consumers," McNabb said. "These two new high-tech Cadillac models pave the way for a series of new Cadillac models coming in 2009, including the upcoming CTS Sport Wagon and SRX Crossover."
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/17/c...v-from-59-995/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

scary car. the cts-v beat the M3 in the most recent Car&Driver test, but it sounds like the DCT in the M3 had the lag issue everyone keeps complaining about.

I don't like the style of the CTS-V. It seems to have taken an evolutionary step backwards as compared to the 2008 CTS. I would think a 500+hp would look more menacing. I cannot however hate on the performance. The car is super heavy but it seems to have minimal body roll. Bravo American Engineers, bring some respect back to the states.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

I found that reading a news posting helps to better understand it, and at a STARTING PRICE OF $59,995, it is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than an //M.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I found that reading a news posting helps to better understand it, and at a STARTING PRICE OF $59,995, it is actually MORE EXPENSIVE than an //M.

Cheers,
e46e92
Don't beleive he ever claimed it was cheaper, only similar in price. $54,500 (e90) vs $59,995. And the CTS-V out performs an M5, let alone the M3.
Knowing this, would I buy one? Absolutely not.
      10-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
Yes, but just about everything comes standard on the Caddy, while it's very easy to rack up $10k in options on the M3.
      10-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

With cars this expensive. People would rather buy a name car if they could over a cadillac. Like a merc or something you know? It's the truth and reality. I honestly see cadillac lovers as 90% of the market for this car. Most people's mentality is one of having a merc or bmw vs cadillac and the euro comes on top. Reality of things, never mind the numbers and performance. It's the name that sells 80% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Don't beleive he ever claimed it was cheaper, only similar in price. $54,500 (e90) vs $59,995. And the CTS-V out performs an M5, let alone the M3.
I wouldn't either, but it can only be good for domestic car makers and for our economy to actually compete with the Europeans and Japanese.
      10-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

The CTS-V is the real deal. Scary fast not only in a straight line, but this thing actually turns too. I prefer the M3 formula for performance. If I was looking at a larger car, I'd have a hard time picking an E60 M5 or Merc over the new Caddy.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
thats 5,495 difference.....at what point is the price no longer similar.....10k difference?

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

I've owned plenty of American cars, but would have a hard time buying the CTS just yet. Let's see how the car holds up, fit and finish, and how GM treats their customers.
It will take more than one car for me see if GM really does commit to this segment of the market.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
Quote:
thats 5,495 difference.....at what point is the price no longer similar.....10k difference?
I merely pointed out that, as typically optioned, the Caddy most likely would not be "more expensive," as you stated in your first post. Not a big deal though.

Caddy has made it clear that they're targeting the M5 with this new CTS-V, so I wonder how much attention they paid to M3 pricing?
      10-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #12
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
I've owned plenty of American cars, but would have a hard time buying the CTS just yet. Let's see how the car holds up, fit and finish, and how GM treats their customers.
It will take more than one car for me see if GM really does commit to this segment of the market.
At a guess, the drivetrain will be bulletproof (as Vettes have been for years), and as for fit and finish (both interior and exterior), my opinion is that any CTS matches up very well with BMWs. Of course, BMWs aren't necessarily paragons in this regard, but they're good enough.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
Big Boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post

+ 1. The biggest thing that would hold me back from buying this car is the residual values.

On the older CTS-V, they dropped like a ROCK, big time. Very different than the M3.

I know cars are not investment, but you would be foolish not to take this into account.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

A great deal for what you get, fantastic engine, but I the styling is not up to par
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #15
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
At a guess, the drivetrain will be bulletproof (as Vettes have been for years), and as for fit and finish (both interior and exterior), my opinion is that any CTS matches up very well with BMWs. Of course, BMWs aren't necessarily paragons in this regard, but they're good enough.

Bruce
I thought the last gen CTS-V was anything but bulletproof, hence the drop in resale values.
      10-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
I thought the last gen CTS-V was anything but bulletproof, hence the drop in resale values.
Yes, the last generation CTS-V simply fell apart. I drove one with only 10k miles on it. The car was a rattle trap, and the ride was very "crashy." It felt like it had over 100k miles. Hopefully, this has improved significantly.
      10-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i'll stick to ol' slow Joe-the-plumber kinda ride M3
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #18
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
i'll stick to ol' slow Joe-the-plumber kinda ride M3
Joe drives a Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #19
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

I put the CTS-V, C63, IS-F, and the M3 all in the same under $70k luxury sport sedan class. They are all great cars, and once optioned usually end up around $65k. All are very similar in performance, whether its around a track or on the drag strip. I was interested in the CTS-V before I decided on the M. I was a fan of the looks of the 1st gen CTS, and love the look of the new one. But I got tired of waiting for them to announce the price. Plus I knew I couldn't haggle much, as this car is brand new and since I wasn't on any waiting list, I wasn't in the mood for waiting a few months to find a car.

I was thinking the starting price would be much closer to $70k, so I applaud GM for making a car this potent at that starting price. Unlike the M, there isn't a stripper model, hence you can't option another $15k. Even though its closer in size to the M5, most people look in their wallet first, and then go shopping, not vice versa. M5 shoppers are looking at the E63, STS-V, S6/S8, etc...So the M3, C63, IS-F are its main competitors.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with my M purchase. I love the car, I got it NOW, I got a great deal on it, and I'm sure in 4-5 years, my M will be worth more than the V. Hands off to the dev team at GM, CTS-V owners will be extremely happy with their purchase, while us ///M guys will fear the next time we happen to get caught at a stoplight with a new CTS-V in the other lane.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boost View Post
+ 1. The biggest thing that would hold me back from buying this car is the residual values.

On the older CTS-V, they dropped like a ROCK, big time. Very different than the M3.

I know cars are not investment, but you would be foolish not to take this into account.
Residual values, for the most part, are dependent on market demand. I think this CTS-V will be the first of many Cadillacs that will be in high demand for years to come.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #21
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
Nothing wrong with the drivetrain in those cars either, reliability-wise.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 08:21 AM   #22
thefly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT

having sold an '06 cts-v, let me say this. the drivetrain in gen 1 cts v's wasn't reliable, the service is ok (mine never had many issues, but everytime i went there was someone new). biggest reason i didn't buy another one the resale. i sold my '06 with 23K miles for $26k after paying $47k (msrp was $52K). and go look at STS-V's their resale is worse. i had a tough time giving gm $60k+ for a car that might be worth $30k in 2 years. now i haven't driven the new one yet (my salesman has offered me a test drive), but between the caddy and m5, it is the same arguement between the 911TT and the GTR. there is more to a car then just performance. it is the overall package. interior, features, which car is easiest to live with day to day for me. things like the '09 will be the first cts with bluetooth for your phone, and what are the chances they will get that right with their first try (slim in my opinion).
Appreciate 0