BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Anyone with Akra rear + Fabspeed or AA x-pipe/HFCs

Do CELs come up? Supposedly Fabspeed has fixed the issue but there are some that still get codes. I am looking for an exotic sounding note. I also don't want it to be too loud, just more refined... I would rather do the full Akra system over anything, but don't want a CEL and don't want to get a tune to prevent it or a CEL deleter.

Any opinions on these setups?

thx
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I had this exact setup until last week. It sounds really nice, I had the Fabspeed. I never installed the O2 extenders so I would occasionally get the CEL and after a couple hundred miles it would clear itself.
      08-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Why did you switch it out if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Why did you switch it out if you don't mind me asking?
CEL - got tired of it. Plus I needed to get ahold of some stock stuff in case I decide to turn my car back in at end of lease in April. Also, it's kinda nice to have the car fairly quiet again. Believe it or not, it actually feels faster and way more torque with OEM xpipe and cats back on. I know dynos on here show more power with aftermarket, but it doesn't feel like that to me. At least driving around town, maybe if I hung out at 7K+ rpm all day it would be slower with OEM
      08-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
CEL - got tired of it. Plus I needed to get ahold of some stock stuff in case I decide to turn my car back in at end of lease in April. Also, it's kinda nice to have the car fairly quiet again. Believe it or not, it actually feels faster and way more torque with OEM xpipe and cats back on. I know dynos on here show more power with aftermarket, but it doesn't feel like that to me. At least driving around town, maybe if I hung out at 7K+ rpm all day it would be slower with OEM
I catch you. Do you know if these O2 extenders take care of the CEL issue, or it's still something that pops up? Sorry for all the Qs, just trying to get a grip on this.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
bump anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
bump anyone else?
I would do it. Can't sound much different from full akra. Fabspeed is a great X pipe.

Why don't you just get a tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I get a CEL every 1-2 days now with this setup. I still have to install the extenders to see what difference they make. It's very loud at startup, then gets quieter as the engine warms up. I wouldn't say it's crazy loud, but it certainly is not a mild exhaust either.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
sandwood
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M, formerly e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I had this exact setup until last week. It sounds really nice, I had the Fabspeed. I never installed the O2 extenders so I would occasionally get the CEL and after a couple hundred miles it would clear itself.

I have the same setup (Fabspeed has resonators) and the same experience. CEL happens infrequently, usually in mild weather, part throttle applications. I bought a code reader and delete them that way. I got the o2 extenders as well and also have not yet installed them.

not sure I wd call it a refined sounding exhaust though - definitely raw. Not mad, like the various race exhausts out there (I had an eisenmann race - briefly). but definitely not refined like stock.
It sounds just fantastic. Really spot on. Only complaint, on cold start until the idle settles it is boomy and bass heavy, enough so that I set off car alarms in parking garages. For that reason, I'm tempted to take the Fabspeed off and try running the stock pipes again.
Appreciate 0