BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

04-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #45
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I still don't see any data on full intake vs drop-in alone on two otherwise identically equipped cars. Or did I miss it? Sorry if I did. It would be even better to see full intake vs. drop-in alone on two otherwise completely stock cars also.
Drop-ins (oiled type) are worth about ~5-6hp on the dyno alone.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #46
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I noticed on the second dyno of the 2011 BMW M3 Mineral White that the baseline made 351.10 hp and 251.33 torque

Run 7 was the power run from the addition of your intake and pulley.

Can you please post the dyno for run #4, usually these cars make the most power on run 3 and 4 for baseline.

Why would Run #2 be used instead of 3 or 4?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #47
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I noticed on the second dyno of the 2011 BMW M3 Mineral White that the baseline made 351.10 hp and 251.33 torque

Can you please post the dyno for run #4, usually these cars make the most power on run 3 and 4 for baseline.

Good question. I would like to know this as well please.
      06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #48
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:

Let me translate:

"Tom, I suspect you are dishonest. Can you please confirm?"

; )
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #49
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Let me translate:

"Tom, I suspect you are dishonest. Can you please confirm?"

; )
Just been looking into dyno info lately and was noticing things here and there between different cars and shops. Just wanna verify that all the info is accurate since I have these pulleys, exhaust and intake on my own car already.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #50
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just been looking into dyno info lately and was noticing things here and there between different cars and shops. Just wanna verify that all the info is accurate since I have these pulleys, exhaust and intake on my own car already.
Just giving you a hard time. : )

I think Evolve is supposedly dyno testing this intake as well, so they should have results at some point. I know the filter adds power and is made by a very good company. The elbow design is solid IMO, but as I've said in the past, measuring such a small increment in HP is extremely difficult on a car with this level of power. Someone needs to do a pressure drop test across the elbow stock vs. MSII and put the baby to rest. Maybe if I didn't have so much yard work.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #51
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Excellent point; I have the MS stage II intake, and at high speeds, there feels like there is more power and hits redline quicker, however the combination of low RPM and low speeds (below 30 mph), there definitely feels like there is a pressure drop, vacuum-effect that feels like it's reducing low-end torque when throttled. It's a tradeoff I'm personally willing to accept, but would be nice to see intake pressure, AF ratios, as well as dyno measurements provided by the manufacturer/key resellers to make sure everyone knows what they're getting into when purchasing and would result in the highest customer satisfaction.

Quote:
Someone needs to do a pressure drop test across the elbow stock vs. MSII and put the baby to rest. Maybe if I didn't have so much yard work.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #52
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
Excellent point; I have the MS stage II intake, and at high speeds, there feels like there is more power and hits redline quicker, however the combination of low RPM and low speeds (below 30 mph), there definitely feels like there is a pressure drop, vacuum-effect that feels like it's reducing low-end torque when throttled. It's a tradeoff I'm personally willing to accept, but would be nice to see intake pressure, AF ratios, as well as dyno measurements provided by the manufacturer/key resellers to make sure everyone knows what they're getting into when purchasing and would result in the highest customer satisfaction.
You sir have a well-calibrated but dyno. : )

The second point (RE: more data) is spot on!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #53
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

EDIT - Found dyno I was looking for; it was in a different thread.

RE: Tech's point - dyno should be run until the car hits peak power and IAT should be noted at a minimum in terms of data logging. Then the car should be re-run with the modification; again keeping an eye on IAT and waiting for the peak power. Then you can make a reasonable comparison.

Tom can comment on if this is the case if he so chooses. What I will say is that many vendors just give "a dyno" for intakes; like Dinan for instance.

Last edited by Singletrack; 06-15-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #54
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Haha... Yes, I actually do runs to 70 mph on the same stretch of road/same directions (weather/temp/humidity doesn't vary that at this sea-level location in the am), with MDM launches (really flooring from zero). Then to test what I thought I felt, over a period of 4 months, I tried with a little app called dynolicious (supposedly pretty accurate when tested against Vbox and dynos, but differing opinions about) and logged some distance and trap runs to help control for launch variations (measuring really only after 10 mph and post 1 ft rollout). Tried stock to intake, to stock, to intake again. Whether you believe the app works or not, the results to 60 and trap wise seem within range of the car for the type of launch and gains with intake really were seen only after 30 mph. As you said, still lots of variables to still control for, including shifting and the heroic assumption of accuracy of the iPhone's accelerometer, but this quasi-data seemed to corroborate what I felt and doing the back-and-forth swap seemed to produce results within a surprisingly tight range. Ultimately, as you said, best to see more data in more controlled environment to know definitively whether our butt-dynos and the concept of "there's an app for that" are worth anything

Quote:
You sir have a well-calibrated but dyno. : )

The second point (RE: more data) is spot on!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread