BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

06-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #45
carlos@velosdesignwerks
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
I had no regret on selling it...

see below before and after.

hah! Id give up my s2000 back for a bmw any day!! especially the one you picked up!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #46
pyrocpu
Rep
Drives: AW E90 "340is" ;)

Thanks for all the great input, guys.

As far as modding the S2000... well... a long time ago, I'd modified another Honda product, enough to = the MSRP of the car! I promised myself I wouldn't do that again. It IS a very slippery slope. It's also one of the reasons why I bought the S2000 in the first place--track days, hitting up the twisties, etc. -- all bone stock. I let myself get a few basic bits--baffled oil pan, stainless lines, and most recently, a set of R-comps for the track. But I'm getting to the point where lap times are really consistent (<1 sec/lap) so I'm starting to feel that the car's limited in its current form. And that requires coilovers. And non-staggered wheels. Then new stabilizer bars. Then an ECU reflash. Then new control arms... And if I'm already being a little whiny kid about daily drivability... well shoot... forget about it!

That's the beauty of the M3, at least on paper. Just get in it and drive. Have a little set aside for stuff that'll break (I keep on reading about the throttle gear thing). Fuel the thirsty pig. And just drive. I'm at the point in my life where fun $ (after setting aside for the requisite financial instruments in investments, etc) is spent on upgrades to the house and entertaining guests. And while I used to love wrenching, swapping parts and even entire powertrains, the more time I can spend driving versus wrenching--I'm just that much happier!

With that said, still entertaining the idea of a DD. I hear what you guys are saying about a gently pre-loved Honda CRV or something, but I just can't fathom something that gutless. As such, I started checking out new, base 4dr VW GTIs in 6-speed. Looks like VW has shut down production for the GTI, given the new Mk7 Golfs are gearing up for production. This car is great though. DEFINITELY worried about the mod bug w/ the VW though.

As far as my buddy w/ the M3... still waiting to hear from him. Starting to get the feeling that he might not want to part with his baby after all!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #47
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrocpu View Post
That's the beauty of the M3, at least on paper. Just get in it and drive. Have a little set aside for stuff that'll break (I keep on reading about the throttle gear thing). Fuel the thirsty pig. And just drive. I'm at the point in my life where fun $ (after setting aside for the requisite financial instruments in investments, etc) is spent on upgrades to the house and entertaining guests. And while I used to love wrenching, swapping parts and even entire powertrains, the more time I can spend driving versus wrenching--I'm just that much happier!
Had an architect come to the house today after I put down the deposit for an m3. He went through his whole presentation and gave me a ballpark figure 3X of what I initially planned to spend on renovations. He was driving an M3 so after we got to talking and turns out he's another HPDE guy and he was telling me about all the stuff he's put into us m3. Oh boy I honestly think I will have to leave mine stock, nt even an exhaust! anyhow totally hear your point about priorities changing.

Hope you find the car your looking for!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #48
AirbusPilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

On a whim, I bought a new 07 S2000.

I sold it 8 months later. What finally did it in was trying to pass a family driving a mini van. The S2000 barely had the guts to get around them. Literally, I was shifting at 8k rpm and just got around them. I'm a corvette guy, having owned six, so I traded it for a new vette..

I also disliked the tiny interior. I recall that if you had the radio door open, it would stab my leg. My left arm would squeeze tight against the door. Now, it had it's moments, but it was hopelessly weak in today's high hp/tq suv traffic. Never mind taking on any other type performance vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #49
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Nasa ST2 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusPilot View Post
On a whim, I bought a new 07 S2000.

I sold it 8 months later. What finally did it in was trying to pass a family driving a mini van. The S2000 barely had the guts to get around them. Literally, I was shifting at 8k rpm and just got around them. I'm a corvette guy, having owned six, so I traded it for a new vette..

I also disliked the tiny interior. I recall that if you had the radio door open, it would stab my leg. My left arm would squeeze tight against the door. Now, it had it's moments, but it was hopelessly weak in today's high hp/tq suv traffic. Never mind taking on any other type performance vehicle.
I agree with stock power, although on a track it's still fine. However once you get these things in the the 400+HP range and you tweak the suspension there really isn't anything like it!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #50
AirbusPilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
I agree with stock power, although on a track it's still fine. However once you get these things in the the 400+HP range and you tweak the suspension there really isn't anything like it!
I saw a supra engine swap in one, I can imagine.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #51
pyrocpu
Rep

For some folks, the S2000 is a "Miata done right." It's got more HP to be even more fun; however, you're still stuck with the tiny interior. Me, with the same dimensions/measurements as the engineers who engineered the thing--I fit perfectly in the cabin. It's just anytime I stick *any* American into the passenger seat is when the novelty of the vehicle is over pretty darn quick. Radio door--yes. Mine's always closed for that reason. However, as basic as the car is (I mean, a fixed steering wheel like an E36; only 4-ways of adjustment in the seats!), the interior quality is great. Tight seam gaps, solid trim--it's good.

Apexking--3x budget; architect driving M3: hmmm... maybe we know why he's got an M3 as his "work" vehicle now, eh?

Leaning towards the idea of M3 & sell S2000. Buddy wisely (for him) decided to keep his M3, so now the search is on for the right M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #52
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
tons of s2000 to m3 owners here, myself included, and the only thing I really miss about my s2000 (I had a hardtop) is the gearbox - the M3's 6MT is good, but the S2000's was nearly perfect

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
i didn't read your post, but go for the e90 M.
+1

Does a bear sh*t in the woods?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #54
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90
I had an s2k in 04. This is an M3, it really is on another level than an s2k.

>>> If Home Depot runs are a big + be advised that fold down seats on the e90 ARE AN OPTION!!! both my e90 m3 have NOT had fold down seats and it sucks
I had an s2k in '99. Ap1 9k rpm and no nannies. Great car.

Very similar in terms of high revving and power delivery, but just more. Also can be quite tame and easy to drive around when just city driving. Gearbox is actually easy and pretty good (but not as good as nsx/s2k).

I think you will be grinning ear to ear on another level when revving the v8 to redline. Do it.

S2k is probably the best car for the money.
The m3 is probably the best car for double the money.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #55
pyrocpu
Rep

Just wanted to close the loop on this thread... ended up with an E90 M3 after MUCH thought. Couldn't be happier! As such, the S2000 is up for sale--wish I could keep both, but it's just not in the cards right now. So! If anyone's interested in a low-mileage S2000...

Thanks again for everyone's input, thoughts, comments, and advice. M3post sure is a great community!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #56
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

you think like me. like your style.
my opinion. keep S2K. you are in perfect place for it. its a classic!
E90 will be classic down the road…way down the road.
if you want an M3 sedan get an E36! tough to find a good one but they are around. they will only go up in value at this point. E36 is very nice. light nimble. passenger will actually fit in front and back. rear seat belts are backwards and totally cool. I like purple. techno violet.

good luck with the search. oh if you really go with the E90 make sure the back seats fold down! really cuts down the utility of them if they don't.

Quote:
"I'll keep my S2000 for decades!" ... so I said for the past 6 years...

So help me out here--dilemma... considering a buddy's gently-loved 08MY E90 M3, 6-speed. It's kinda like the other posting on here, where the OP is toying around with the idea of selling his M3 for a GT-R... only for me... sell S2000 for M3?

Background (keeping it as concise as possible):
* Bought the S2000 new in 2007
* Until last autumn, it had only 16K on the odometer
* Was a third vehicle; daily driver was a 12MY FX35
* Past vehicles have always been new; highlights include 03MY G35 Coupe 6-speed, 05MY 350Z 6-speed, Xterra Off-Road 6-speed
* Worked in the auto industry for a decade where my job was to analyze new cars & trucks, critiquing faults and noting highlights of vehicles such as: build quality, NVH, ergonomics, feature set, on-track performance, real world driving dynamics

Current Status:
* Divorced, lost the FX that I'd *just* gotten, plus the lost the other car
* Was a third vehicle, now the only car (motorcycle I got to keep )
* S2K has 27k on the clock, being pressed into daily driving duties
* Finally bought another house, post-divorce, back on the West Coast
* 11mi ea/way commute

Lifestage/Mindset
* Early 30s w/ girlfriend
* No kids, not intending any anytime soon
* Used to do 3-4 HPDEs a year
* Used to love mountain drives
* Truly not a brand-whore--I could have instead gotten a new base 335i sedan at the time
* Work hard, play harder

S2000 Pros:
* Old-school VTEC: love the cam kickover! Love revving the engine. Sorry, a little bit of a ricer at heart.
* Transmission: agreed--best trans, ever
* Handling: nimble, neutral (on the track)
* Easily to get into that "one-ness with the car" zone
* MPG: good; average 25mpg in mixed city/hwy
* A blast on the track--can keep up with more exotic hardware
* Driving position is perfect, even though the steering wheel is non-adjustable and seat can only move in 4 directions, manually.
* Great out of the box with little modification needed. This is one of the main reasons I bought the thing--I have great appreciation for OEM engineering
* Interior, while spartan, is of good quality: no rattles, tight panel gaps, solid switchgear feel. Better than a C6 ZR1's interior, IMHO (just quality, not feature set), for instance
* Maintenance is cheap!
* Best of all, I don't owe a dime on this car--haven't for a few years.

S2000 Cons:
* Need to rev it where ever I go. Yes, it's a double-edged sword.
* Passenger seat blows. I've ridden in it several times--bless my girlfriend's patience!
* Cannot do Costco/Home Depot runs. As a new homeowner, this really, really sucks.
* JFC this thing is noisy. My previous work life has completely damaged me in what I look for in NVH. I cannot hear anyone on my noise-cancelling BT headset. When accelerating, everyone stops talking--doesn't matter if they're riding shotgun or on the phone--it ALWAYS stops conversation. Getting annoying for me; I can only imagine what it's like for my friends & family.
* I've gotten tired of track days. I've gotten to the point where my lap times are consistent and I no longer have an adrenaline rush. It seems... very "normal." In order to go faster, would need several thousand dollars in upgrades. No, thanks.
* Can't hit up the mountain roads anymore. Too far away for the weekdays; too many cops & traffic on the weekends
* S2000 is literally just used as commuting, and weekend errands that don't require me purchasing much more than a small grocery run.
* Can't do double-dates--must take g/f's tired economy car
* Steering: while very precise, the EPS system takes all the feel out of it
* Ride quality: tolerable as a driver for trips < 100mi; mediocre after that. Horrible as a passenger. Let's just say ya don't wanna make the g/f's twins unhappy, because later that night I'll be unhappy.

E90 M3 Pros:
* 4-doors! Seats 5! Zomg!
* Power. "Enough" torque to not have to shift all the time.
* Finally, a decent audio system!
* Steering: feel/feedback is amazing
* Quiet in "normal" driving
* Suspension: Jeez--great ride quality and also great handling too? This is awesome!
* Buddy's E90 M3 has fold-down rear seats for the HD/Lowe's runs.
* 6-speed: Must have 3-pedals. I know the DCT is quicker; I just find a 3-pedal car more soulful & rewarding for myself. Just me though.
* Also great out of the box with no modifications needed--again, great OEM engineering, at least for performance.

E90 M3 Cons:
* MPG. 15-16mpg average?
* Shift feel just isn't the same as the S2000.
* Maintenance/reliability: this would be my first European car. Already reading about the throttle body motor gear stripping @ ~$800/ea for parts
* Motor oil: 10W-60? Really? And lots of it? C'mon...
* Used car: never had one before
* Color combo kinda so-so: dark grey (not sure which) with silver interior

Dilemma:
* Funding: I just bought a GD house. I need to sell the S2000 to buy buddy's M3.
* Regrets: I've looked on this forum--everyone who has had an S2000 regretted selling it. However, of all those folks, almost all of them are non-M owners (mostly 335 owners). For those who have had an S2000 and now a E9x M3--I wonder what their take is? On the S2000 forum, there are MANY instances where people are second-time owners of the S2000: had one, sold it, regretted it, bought another used one later. I already know I'm going to regret selling it. But it would just be financially irresponsible to keep the S and also snap up my buddy's car.
* I could keep the S2000 and snap up a Honda Fit Sport in manual trans for DD duty, but man, not sure about a penalty box car.
* S2000 was bought literally a couple of weeks after the wedding: permission from the ex-wife was the only "wedding gift" that I wanted. Yeah. The S is tied to a dead marriage.
* Yes, I could ride the motorbike to work more, but putting on all my gear on, then off at the office... it's a PITA and takes longer than just driving! The 45mpg is a plus though.

Specs on Buddy's M3:
08MY, ~45K, 3-pedal, Cold, Premium, Tech. Very minimal mods--spacers, 18" OE wheels, exhaust (kept OE exhaust which I'll re-mount), shift knob, OE accessory pedals. Tint.

Anecdotal--I have a twisted/weird taste for cars... examples:
* Rather have a VW Jetta TDI 6-speed vs. a Maxima, for instance
* Fit Sport > MB C-class
* M3 > GT-R
* BR-Z > Mustang GT
* Altima V6 > Audi A4

So... what are YOUR thoughts? What do I do?! First-world problems for sure.
      07-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #57
bsmack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

I completely understand your situation. I have an e92 that I use as my only vehicle and it does an excellent job, definitely better than your s2000. However in your situation I would STRONGLY consider getting a cheaper DD. The s2000 you own is a unicorn and will only get more special with time. As an exercise, try finding one in the condition yours is in for purchase right now. You will have a very hard time doing so!

Maybe try looking at a used A4 or 3 series, maybe even a MazdaSpeed 3 or something?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #58
pyrocpu
Rep

Perhaps in a year or so, I might consider another vehicle for commuting, even if it's only 9-11mi away (depending on route). At that point though, it'd be something on two wheels again. Street Triple R, VFR1200, FZ6R, or even a Bonneville/Thruxton would be fine. Or a 250cc+ Vespa GT. Fun. Economical.

Which reminds me... I've also decided to sell the Ducati in addition to the S2000. I just don't want a car payment right now, and I really want to escape these symbolic purchases relating back to a former marriage.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #59
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Just wanted to close the loop on this thread... ended up with an E90 M3 after MUCH thought. Couldn't be happier! As such, the S2000 is up for sale--wish I could keep both, but it's just not in the cards right now. So! If anyone's interested in a low-mileage S2000...

Thanks again for everyone's input, thoughts, comments, and advice. M3post sure is a great community!
Glad you moved over to the M3. However you should be able to pull off keeping the S2000 since its paid off. I would. Maybe $30 bucks a month for full coverage insurance and no car payment. How can you not keep it?
Appreciate 0