BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
AxisF80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Engine malfunction! DSC malfunction!

Hey guys. Looking for some help in diagnosing a problem. 2008 e90 M3 with just shy of 50,000 miles on it. My wife was driving the other day and got the following error messages:

Engine malfunction! Reduced power
Increased emissions!
DBC malfunction! Drive carefully
Start-off assistance inactive!
DSC malfunction! Drive carefully

The car went into limp home mode and wouldn't rev over 3k or so with very little power. She pulled over, restarted, check engine light remained along with increased emissions but it ran fine. I took it out to replicate and sure enough same thing happened to me. The car was fully warmed up and when I aggressively pulled out onto the highway, I had the same error message and loss of power. I used my cheapo obd reader and it showed code P0638. I reset the SEL and brought it home.

I have been reading up on various errors on here for a while now and I'm still very unsure. I first focused on the DSC malfunction because that is what my wife mentioned on the phone. Even after the warnings popped up, the turn signals turned off appropriately, so I don't think the steering angle sensor is bad. My next thought was wheel bearing as I have noticed a ticking coming from the front left wheel.

But would a wheel bearing/speed sensor problem also cause an engine malfunction/limp home mode? Would the BT tool show a bearing code or speed sensor code? (Not that I have access to one).

Perhaps the rough idle SIB problem but would that trigger the DSC warnings? Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Probably a failed throttle actuator. They are notorious for their poor reliability
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall921 View Post
Hey guys. Looking for some help in diagnosing a problem. 2008 e90 M3 with just shy of 50,000 miles on it. My wife was driving the other day and got the following error messages:

Engine malfunction! Reduced power
Increased emissions!
DBC malfunction! Drive carefully
Start-off assistance inactive!
DSC malfunction! Drive carefully

The car went into limp home mode and wouldn't rev over 3k or so with very little power. She pulled over, restarted, check engine light remained along with increased emissions but it ran fine. I took it out to replicate and sure enough same thing happened to me. The car was fully warmed up and when I aggressively pulled out onto the highway, I had the same error message and loss of power. I used my cheapo obd reader and it showed code P0638. I reset the SEL and brought it home.

I have been reading up on various errors on here for a while now and I'm still very unsure. I first focused on the DSC malfunction because that is what my wife mentioned on the phone. Even after the warnings popped up, the turn signals turned off appropriately, so I don't think the steering angle sensor is bad. My next thought was wheel bearing as I have noticed a ticking coming from the front left wheel.

But would a wheel bearing/speed sensor problem also cause an engine malfunction/limp home mode? Would the BT tool show a bearing code or speed sensor code? (Not that I have access to one).

Perhaps the rough idle SIB problem but would that trigger the DSC warnings? Any help would be appreciated.
I literally just sorted DSC malfunction w/ the same errors on my car. I have part numbers, codes, and what was fixed.

PM me!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Probably a failed throttle actuator. They are notorious for their poor reliability
Yeah....I believe that's a throttle actuator fault code. Not surprising, notorious is a good description for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Thanks. The generic P0638 is for the throttle actuator. That looks like the winner. I was really hoping for a wheel bearing...$175 and an hour of my time.

I just checked out the DIY and it doesn't look too difficult. I will tackle it myself. My only problem is the generic code reader I have doesn't tell me which bank. I guess I have to buy a BT tool for that unless someone has a suggestion.
Appreciate 1
Phat5559.00
      05-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
I literally just sorted DSC malfunction w/ the same errors on my car. I have part numbers, codes, and what was fixed.

PM me!
PM sent. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
Yeah....I believe that's a throttle actuator fault code. Not surprising, notorious is a good description for them.
I hope this doesn't alert the search police but its been a while since I've bought any BMW parts. Anyone know where to find the best price?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Have you done a search on idle control valve? Check that too before you starting buying parts.
      05-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
Have you done a search on idle control valve? Check that too before you starting buying parts.
do you know the code for that?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
do you know the code for that?
No, but I got all those warning messages, like it was the end of the world. It was a quick repair at the dealer though. I just waited for a couple of hours.
      05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

I got DSC warning message with my Throttle valve actuator. I havent had the Idle control valve go so I can't comment on that but I would think you get similar warnings (my opinion).

Get the code read by something more than just a generic reader (there is probably more than just 1 code) what are the manufacturer codes read? Was your car mis-firing?

If it is your throttle valve actuator, the part cost anywhere from $650 to $850. I had mine done with a warranty last week and the total cost was $1800 that warranty paid. It is a farily simple DIY, but my deductible was less than the cost of the part so I chose that method. I made a thread in the engine section which shows all of the codes that I got when my TVA went...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
AxisF80
Private
Rep

I just ordered a BT tool. I'm assuming that the idle control valve and throttle actuator will throw different codes. I was considering going ahead and ordering an actuator today because I want to install on fri since my office is closed early for the weekend. But now I'm back to being unsure until the BT tool arrives. I paid for 2 day shipping so I should have it by thurs. I'll share the results then. Thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
RBB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I hope this doesn't alert the search police but its been a while since I've bought any BMW parts. Anyone know where to find the best price?
McKenna or Tischer will be your best bets.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I just ordered a BT tool. I'm assuming that the idle control valve and throttle actuator will throw different codes. I was considering going ahead and ordering an actuator today because I want to install on fri since my office is closed early for the weekend. But now I'm back to being unsure until the BT tool arrives. I paid for 2 day shipping so I should have it by thurs. I'll share the results then. Thanks for the help guys.
I was the one that wrote the TA DIY. Not a bad job at all, definitely recommend tackling it yourself. The BT should be able to tell you whether it's the ICV or the TA.

When you are done with the DIY, clear the code using the BT and you'll be on your way. Good luck and feel free to PM if you have any questions.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
I got DSC warning message with my Throttle valve actuator. I havent had the Idle control valve go so I can't comment on that but I would think you get similar warnings (my opinion).

Get the code read by something more than just a generic reader (there is probably more than just 1 code) what are the manufacturer codes read? Was your car mis-firing?

If it is your throttle valve actuator, the part cost anywhere from $650 to $850. I had mine done with a warranty last week and the total cost was $1800 that warranty paid. It is a farily simple DIY, but my deductible was less than the cost of the part so I chose that method. I made a thread in the engine section which shows all of the codes that I got when my TVA went...
The car ran smoothly until the errors popped up. I didn't notice anything unusual about the idle either but I will wait for the BT tool before purchasing any parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
The car ran smoothly until the errors popped up. I didn't notice anything unusual about the idle either but I will wait for the BT tool before purchasing any parts.
Gotcha. Well I had about 5 different scenarios happen, one of which was misfiring. I shut the car off and turned back on and it "fixed itself". Other times, I get the increases emissions and DSC malfunction but the car runs fine as well.

Once I replaced the TVA though, haven't had a problem since!! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
ThisIsVeccs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

This same exact problem happened to my 08 m3, it is your throttle actuators that need to be replaced
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

is it possible that the TA will never go awry with this car? I guess my question is, should I replace this as a preventative measure, or just roll the die and see if it happens?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
is it possible that the TA will never go awry with this car? I guess my question is, should I replace this as a preventative measure, or just roll the die and see if it happens?
Possible? Maybe. But BMW/Siemens seem unable to reliably make a simple electric motor if their life depended on it

No need for preventative replacement though. Save your money. The car won't die and leave you stranded. You just get limp mode. You can still short shift, floor it, and eventually labour your way to highway speeds. You just feel like you're driving a 20 year old Lada instead.

I just replaced mine today, and for the first time in over a month managed to drive a whole trip without limp mode
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #20
AxisF80
Private
Rep

The BT arrived. 2B15 and 2B57.

Looks like throttle actuator for bank 1

Is that the consensus?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
AxisF80
Private
Rep

Quote:
The BT arrived. 2B15 and 2B57.

Looks like throttle actuator for bank 1

Is that the consensus?
Throttle actuator ordered. I hope that's it!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #22
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep

Do the new throttle actuator last longer or are more reliable?