BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: Are you staying or leaving?
Going with the F8X M3 or I already have one 83 13.93%
Staying in my E9X M3 513 86.07%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

07-04-2014, 02:10 AM   #815
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
We are at the same crossroads. A blower calls for a BBK and probably some solid subframe/diff bushings and maybe bearings just to be on the safe side. Adds up to a good chunk of change. Add to trade-in value, and could get something new instead. Probably smarter financially. But would it be as special?
that what i am saying, there are plenty of fast cars on the market. But they just dont make them like our M3 anymore.

I know if i do get new car. I would come back to a E92 M3 later in life for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #816
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Ya that makes sense to go with the 625 kit. I have never been one to go for a max build.

For me its either i am going to keep my M3 long term, supercharger it or buy a whole new car. It sucks that so many new generation cars are not getting my interests.
We are at the same crossroads. A blower calls for a BBK and probably some solid subframe/diff bushings and maybe bearings just to be on the safe side. Adds up to a good chunk of change. Add to trade-in value, and could get something new instead. Probably smarter financially. But would it be as special?
I think BBK is optional, I don't have a VT2-625, but I'm still at ~600hp and never really felt the need for BBK, in the streets at least. It depends what you do with the car I think!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #817
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
that what i am saying, there are plenty of fast cars on the market. But they just dont make them like our M3 anymore.

I know if i do get new car. I would come back to a E92 M3 later in life for sure.
Not a bad plan either. Try something else out then come back.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #818
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I think BBK is optional, I don't have a VT2-625, but I'm still at ~600hp and never really felt the need for BBK, in the streets at least. It depends what you do with the car I think!
Well, my current ballin' on a budget brake setup is SS lines, Motul and PFZ pads (although I am wanting to try Ferodos next) is working pretty well, but I drive like a maniac (looks at current almost corded street tires... ) and make them work for it. Plus, those new AP Racing Radi-CAL brakes look sweet despite the silly name.

Part of me is saying just do the solid mounts, leave the rest as is, and put all the rest of the cash towards track weekends. Learn to approach the car's limit in stock form (it will last longer, too), and then get the blower when the ever increasing amount of FBO M3s farting by you on the highway just gets to be too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #819
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well, my current ballin' on a budget brake setup is SS lines, Motul and PFZ pads (although I am wanting to try Ferodos next) is working pretty well, but I drive like a maniac (looks at current almost corded street tires... ) and make them work for it. Plus, those new AP Racing Radi-CAL brakes look sweet despite the silly name.

Part of me is saying just do the solid mounts, leave the rest as is, and put all the rest of the cash towards track weekends. Learn to approach the car's limit in stock form (it will last longer, too), and then get the blower when the ever increasing amount of FBO M3s farting by you on the highway just gets to be too much.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #820
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

Ezio this is for you in case you haven't seen it. On first vid it looks like the first gear change on the ESS didn't go so well but the rest is history.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #821
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:

An improvement. Still no S65, but much better than the Awcrapovic.
Best one yet IMHO
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #822
E92 AWM3
Rep
Drives: E92 Alpine White M3

E92 AW M3 is a keeper for me

If we were in the market for a performance car, we'd consider BMWs, Porsche, Corvettes... I simply love the high reving S65 and the handling of the E92 M3! I doubt any company introducing an artificial engine sound in to the cabin will intrigue us in any way toward a purchase when there are just as good and possibly better options available. In the end, we prefer N/A engines to motor us down the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #823
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

From TopGear Performance Car of the Year:

Quote:
The BMW M4 never comes alive. It has elements of greatness, but when it comes down to it, the newest M car never gives that extra dose of character that makes your brain fuzz with emotion. It’s fast, efficient and an excellent daily driver. It will also do quite spectacular skids. But it’s lost some of the sense of humour that previous Ms have had in spades. It feels staid and synthetic and, for me, it’s a huge disappointment. Not one person came forward in its defence.
Mods on F8x QUICKLY moved it to "M4 vs" section. Maybe because it mentions a Stingray in the same paragraph?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #824
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Mods on F8x QUICKLY moved it to "M4 vs" section. Maybe because it mentions a Stingray in the same paragraph?
Haha I was gonna say this in my thread, but was afraid to get banned again lol it had NOTHING to do with vs. Stingray. And btw the Golf was praised more than the M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #825
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post

Go drive one for yourself. I really can't say this enough. For one "bad" review, I can point out another that LOVED the F80/2 vs the E9x. IMHO, it doesn't make sense to post 1 little paragraph and say "See, I told you so"! If most people in this thread went out and drove one, and came back and said, "No I'm keeping my E9x until the day I die", then that would be completely understandable.

After the M4 test drive, I can say that I was close to clearing house (sell not just 1 M3, but 2) to get a brand new F80. I've said it a million times before, no it doesn't sound anywhere as good as the V8. But at the same time, I also like the sound from the new 3 cylinder engine as well as 6cyl diesels.

But what you lose in sound (I don't think it's an issue personally), you get a car that is/has:
- Way better brakes. I don't see an E9x with aftermarket pads matching the new brake system from F80/2. They are Porsche good, really.
- A hell of a stiff chassis
- Welded rear subframe
- Torque
- Warranty (maybe it doesn't matter for you, but I drive an 08)
- Supposedly better MT

I guess it's maybe because I've never had 1) a brand new car I custom ordered, 2) a warranty (that's right, never had a car with a warranty before) that makes me consider jumping ship. If you like the E92 so much and want to fix the "issues" I mentioned, you are looking at
- Supercharger
- BBK
- Rod bearings (a must IMHO)
- Solid subframe bushings + diff bushings

It all adds up. There's still M taxes at work here. Can I see someone doing that (myself included)? Sure! I absolutely maintain that the S65 is one of the most special engines you can get for this price range.

I decided to keep the E92, and leave it as it is for now. When I get to a certain mileage, I'll do the rod bearings and rear bushings. I'll divert the rest of the $ towards an LCI F80 or an M2 to add to the E92. That way, there'll be no regrets of letting the E92 go.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #826
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
Let's be real we will all be making the switch soon.
Quote:

Yup. Did a ED 2007 E92 M3 but sold it to get the 2012 C63 AMG. Sold it for another ED 2013 E92 M3 ZCP. I will get a P car IF I decided to part with my E92 M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #827
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
shhhh
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #828
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
I wish you lived closer so I could let you drive mine, I'm sure that would immidiatly put a end to that "getting rid of E92" nonsense! lol

But seriously, I really liked my car before the blower but felt it was a bit dull in the way it delivered the power, eventhough it was faster then my stg2 STI, it did'nt felt like it! That's why I decided to go with a supercharger, to go get that extra humff(for the lack of better word) that this car needed. Honestly, it really gave a second life to this car for me, that's what it needed for me to really fell in love with it! Now, everytime I go WOT pass 5000rpm it's just much more exiting, a good adrenaline rush I would say! And when I just cruise around town, just listening to that V8 and knowing that the power is there if I need it is more then enough to keep me happy! I would even go to say that my car is just as fun in it's power delivery as my friend's Gallardo, and my friend would confirm that to you!

Also if you're afraid that an entry level kit at ~$6-7k might not be enough, know that I trapped 119mph with just a VT1-535 and no other mods, so now with the VT1-550 pulley and test pipes, there's no doubt I have a +120mph car, and I'm manuel just like you!

I have now had my blower for 2years/25000km and I drive it hard, many days at the drag strip, many race against fast cars like Gallardo, C63 507, F10 M5, ect... and the car always been rock solid! Just to give you an idea of my driving style, I blew up 4 engines on my 09 STI with just a Cobb stg2, these cars are'nt very reliable, but still, I have'nt seen anyone who broke that much engine in only 40000km on that platform!

Overhall, I'm really impressed by the performance and reliablility of this kit, I wish you could experience one to know what you're missing, I'm sure you'de pull the trigger!
Now imagine if you were running E30 or E50 fuel on an F8x car with the BMS tune... It would be ~20less whp/165 more wtq or ~10whp/225wtq more than the VT2-625, respectively. That is insane...and amazing. VT2-625 pulls like a rocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
How easy is it to upgrade a V1 ESS 550 to their V2s?
Quote:
Not sure, all I did was updating my VT1-535 to VT1-550 by simply swapping the pulleys, and seriously, I see a very noticable difference!
This, and for VT2 adds intercooler as well.

Quote:
would you recommend just going for a 620 or 650kit right off the bat if you have the money. I hate doing things twice, i feel like just getting the most powerful kit.
VT2-625 is the best value IMO. If you're FBO/catless and then add the s/c, you will more than likely see more than the 625 crank. I don't think you would be disappointed at all. You could always upgrade the pulley and tune later.

Quote:
Valid thought process.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #829
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Now imagine if you were running E30 or E50 fuel on an F8x car with the BMS tune... It would be ~20less whp/165 more wtq or ~10whp/225wtq more than the VT2-625, respectively. That is insane...and amazing. VT2-625 pulls like a rocket.

That'd be insanely fast for sure, but not sure it would be that much more fun, I can't see how an M3 with +550wtq would be able to put that much power to the ground, I get some wheel spin in straight line with my 400hp/400tq Evo sometimes, I can only imagine what would +200tq do on a rwd/front engine car!

Maybe with more time working on the tune, Burger will find a way to dial out some of that low end torque in favor of more top end power, that would really help the drivability of this car! Right now the choices are, not enough bottom end torque with a blown S65 or not enough top end power(and dare I say, too much torque) with a tuned S55, something near the middle of these two set-ups would be an ideal one I think. The Harrop s/c seem to be exactly that, and what's even more cool about it is that it makes the most wonderfull symphony with a mix of S65 growl and supercharger whine!! The only question remaining is, does the S65 live well with that much boost in the middle range, only time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #830
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That'd be insanely fast for sure, but not sure it would be that much more fun, I can't see how an M3 with +550wtq would be able to put that much power to the ground, I get some wheel spin in straight line with my 400hp/400tq Evo sometimes, I can only imagine what would +200tq do on a rwd/front engine car!

Maybe with more time working on the tune, Burger will find a way to dial out some of that low end torque in favor of more top end power, that would really help the drivability of this car! Right now the choices are, not enough bottom end torque with a blown S65 or not enough top end power(and dare I say, too much torque) with a tuned S55, something near the middle of these two set-ups would be an ideal one I think. The Harrop s/c seem to be exactly that, and what's even more cool about it is that it makes the most wonderfull symphony with a mix of S65 growl and supercharger whine!! The only question remaining is, does the S65 live well with that much boost in the middle range, only time will tell.
Too much torque on the s55 is possible, but there are more powerful 335s and 135s putting the power down, so I'm not stessing that too much. The only real debate I have with your analysis is that the S55 doesnt make top end power... It makes more top end power than a blown S65... It is flat, but still more power overall.

It is an interesting point, however, that BMS specifically tells us that shifting in the 6Ks will yield the best accel simply because the s55 isnt in its sweet spot up top and that is where the s65 does shine....but still not as strong. I think the people who complain the most about the top end (and 99% of them havent even driven the car) don't get the "sensation of speed" because the car is pulling like a frieght train from 3K on, so in essence, they think it's lacking. For some people that sensation is what they want (after being used to a beast NA or SC engine. There is a trade-off, but I think it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #831
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Too much torque on the s55 is possible, but there are more powerful 335s and 135s putting the power down, so I'm not stessing that too much. The only real debate I have with your analysis is that the S55 doesnt make top end power... It makes more top end power than a blown S65... It is flat, but still more power overall.

It is an interesting point, however, that BMS specifically tells us that shifting in the 6Ks will yield the best accel simply because the s55 isnt in its sweet spot up top and that is where the s65 does shine....but still not as strong. I think the people who complain the most about the top end (and 99% of them havent even driven the car) don't get the "sensation of speed" because the car is pulling like a frieght train from 3K on, so in essence, they think it's lacking. For some people that sensation is what they want (after being used to a beast NA or SC engine. There is a trade-off, but I think it's worth it.
I'm really not an expert with 135/335 cars but I would've have thought that the ones making +500whp were using a bigger turbo that makes the power more on top end while limiting the amount of torque at low RPM, if not, I can't see how they hook to the ground, specially since they don't have much room for ultra wide tires!

As for the S55, I'm not saying it does'nt have top end power, what I'm saying is that it stops making power too low in the RPM, I don't really like the idea of shifting an M3 at 6000rpm! Just a matter of taste, there's more then one way to have fun with a car and the feeling of brutal acceleration delivered by a high power turbo engine is certainly one of them, and there's also the visceral sensation(and sound) you get from climbing in the revs with a high reving N/A engine(in my case, amplified with the centri). Personnaly I like both(that's why I have a boosted Evo), but I also feel like nothing could totaly replace my S65, that's why I'll make sure to be able to keep it before I shop for a new german sport car!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 07-08-2014 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #832
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
why because we all went from a E46 to a E92?

Cant see my self owning a 6 cylinder turbo engine anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #833
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

We know that
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #834
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Quote:

I'm waiting for some tuner to Shoehorn the TT V8 out of the F10/F12 M5/M6 into the F8X M3. That shyt will be epic.
      07-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #835
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
I'm waiting for some tuner to Shoehorn the TT V8 out of the F10/F12 M5/M6 into the F8X M3. That shyt will be epic.
i am not even inlove with that V8. BUT if they put a detuned version in the M4. believe me i wouldn't always taking crap about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #836
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm really not an expert with 135/335 cars but I would've have thought that the ones making +500whp were using a bigger turbo that makes the power more on top end while limiting the amount of torque at low RPM, if not, I can't see how they hook to the ground, specially since they don't have much room for ultra wide tires!

As for the S55, I'm not saying it does'nt have top end power, what I'm saying is that it stops making power too low in the RPM, I don't really like the idea of shifting an M3 at 6000rpm! Just a matter of taste, there's more then one way to have fun with a car and the feeling of brutal acceleration delivered by a high power turbo engine is certainly one of them, and there's also the visceral sensation(and sound) you get from climbing in the revs with a high reving N/A engine(in my case, amplified with the centri). Personnaly I like both(that's why I have a boosted Evo), but I also feel like nothing could totaly replace my S65, that's why I'll make sure to be able to keep it before I shop for a new german sport car!
I feel you. You need to upgrade to 625 kit, though. I have experience with that and they are insane.
Appreciate 0