BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What right should gay have?
Marriage 53 45.30%
Civil Unions will all legal ramifications marriage, just not the name 28 23.93%
No rights from the government 19 16.24%
Government should restrict gay rights 17 14.53%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

06-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Gay rights

Spain has just legalized gay marriage joining Holland and Belgium as the only three countries to fully recognize gay marriage; no doubt Canada will be the fourth very soon. With most of the western world give gays more rights and the USA restricting rights, what do you guys think about gay rights/marriage/civil union?

This can be a very touchy subject so please be respectful in your replies.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
Rather Dashing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i Man/Ti/Sport

I have no problem with people being gay but i do want the word marriage reserved for when a man and a women get married. Call me old fashioned. On the same hand people should never be punished for their sexual preference. You're right its a very very touchy subject .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
marcus330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6spd

I understand the mentality of wanting to keep the "word" marriage reserved for traditional unions.....but words are powerful tools we use when describing ourselves. In order to have true equal rights then gays must be able to describe their unions in an equal way and convey all of the meaning embodied in that word "marriage". Anything less is a compromise and relegates gay unions to "less than" status. I also feel that the courts and not the vote of the people should be the vehicle for deciding such issues. There is an expression in poli science called "the tyranny of the majority" which basically warns that a majority of the people can abrogate the rights of the minority.

I find it ironic that so many Americans say the "sanctity of marriage" is threatened by gays. It seems to me that with a 50% divorce rate, adultery, broken homes, financial struggles of single parents, etc the heterosexual community can't claim they maintain superior custody of this institution.

Gay union and eventually marriage is here to stay and while it's not ironed out in the US yet it will be.

PS I'm gay.

Realtor Mobile: 6spd / Sport / Prem / Navi / ED 3-30-06
73 3.0s/84 528e/90 525i/97 M3 4dr/99 M3 Conv/2001 330i/2004 545i ED/2006 330i ED June 05
You're in control...is there anywhere you want to go ? -------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

Actually 50% of people who get married get divorced and 75% of marriages end in divorce... I know even worse

If its just the word marriage then I don't mind not using it as long as I have exactly the same rights as a married couple does.

But there again, is this as equal as having to ride in the back of the bus? Blacks rode the bus, got to their destination... but were they equal?

That being said I can live with the rights of marriage just not in name...

One more thing to add, when ever I talk to someone who is not for gay rights they always think that being gay is a decision, its not its the way we were born... It’s like asking a straight guy do you like tits or ass? Was that a choice or just how your feel inside? You can’t choose what you like, you just like it.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
Rather Dashing
Enlisted Member
Rep

truely nobody knows is being gay is born into people or if upbringing does it. I recently saw a talk show (montel williams?) where they brought in twins where one was gay and one wasn't. But when they have the same genetics and almost the same upbringing (same parents, same house, etc) what made one gay and one not? Truth is that I know that marriage is screwed up and that it is becoming a joke (the rate is actually 38% for divorces, not 50%) but does anyone have any rates on divorces between gay and lesbian marriages or partnerships would it add or subtract from the "sanctity of marriage?"

I do support gays getting married or partnered or whatever people want to call it because they should be afforded all the rights and priviledges that straight people do. I also think it would bring down the amount of STD transmission among the gay male community if they were to commit themselves to one partner.

This is a really great subject to discuss on a message board because whenever i get into this conversation with friends everyone can't get their message heard because everyone has an opinion and wants to express it all at the same time .
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 03:27 AM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

I just want gays to have to face divorce,

marriage is easy, divorce is a pain
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 06:06 AM   #7
Thomas
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e Touring

I don't get it why they make such a problem of gays getting married.. Let them live their lifes and put your time in real problems.
Some Republican guy (I thought the Governator himself) said: "Gay marriages are a serious thread to the American society."
Sometimes I think Americans (read: Republicans) are really stupid if they find gays more of a thread then for example their fantastic gun-law..
Their main argument is that the bible says that marriage is between a men and a woman. The bible forbids many things that the Republicans do, but it seems that they use it very selectively and only when it's in their advantage.. Why they use a 1500 year old book for these problems is another question, but let's stick to the thread..

btw. I'm from Holland, but I'm not gay
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I just want gays to have to face divorce,

marriage is easy, divorce is a pain
True and I would happily take the risks of divorce to be able to have the benefits of marriage; being able to see and make decisions for my partner when he's in hospital because right now the hospital would say "are you family??? Sorry you can't see him."; I'd like to be able to leave my/our house to him in my will without the estate tax implications; We could share health benefits... the list goes on and on, and right now I do feel like a second class citizen. Here in Georgia you can be fired from your job just because you’re gay.

If gays were allowed to marry I don't think most would make the perfect little family, there would be just as many divorcees, fights, cases of abuse, nasty court battles as straight couple have. But we should have the right to get the good and the bad of marriage.

Thomas,
I think it’s more the devout Christians more than the republicans that are anti-gays, but devout Christians do make up a large part of the republicans party.

The thing that gets me is that US culture has made marriage a joke. Marriage is as sacred as a TV reality show; NBC's "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?" and FOX's "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?" And gays will ruin the traditional values of marriage?

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2005, 06:46 AM   #9
MPowerE90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2005

Marriage, we can't ignore them anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 08:54 AM   #10
vivid
Captain
England
Rep

I have to say I am surprised by the results. 80% if favor of full rights (whether called marriage or not) and only 20% against gay rights... I thought the results would have been reversed or at least not 80% in favor. I wonder if it’s due to the international group we have on this board? Either way I glad to see such acceptance.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
Rather Dashing
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid
The thing that gets me is that US culture has made marriage a joke. Marriage is as sacred as a TV reality show; NBC's "Who Wants to Marry My Dad?" and FOX's "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?" And gays will ruin the traditional values of marriage?
So true, I think pop culture is more of a threat towards marriage than gay and lesbians.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #12
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
as long as you are happy you should have the right to do as you please as long as you dont interfere with anyone
      08-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #13
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinet78
as long as you are happy you should have the right to do as you please as long as you dont interfere with anyone
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davinet78
I agree too...
      08-22-2005, 12:15 PM   #15
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I am rather indifferent on this matter.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #16
NaTuReB0Y