BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
MWE92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Akrapovic Evo compared to OEM exhaust mod

Can anyone tell me how the Akrapovic Evo system compares to the OEM exhaust mode (EAS) in sound?

I have the exhaust mod now but I'm considering getting the Akra Evo to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
ivg
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 E92, X6M

Much better, especially with ESS tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i think evo will be quieter
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i think evo will be quieter
Agreed,the slip on will be quieter,but i think the evolution will be louder
Also this depends of what kind of Oem. exhaust mod.

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I went from the OEM mod to the Akra Evo 2 months ago. I loved the sound of the OEM mod, but wanted something aftermarket. At startup (with cold start removed) the Akra is quieter than the OEM mod. When it comes to cruising & WOT, they sound the same in volume with the exception of the Akra being bassier. The sound that the Akra produces just sounds different, not necessarily better, than the OEM mod. IMO, they both sound awesome, especially at WOT.

Sorry to confuse you .
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Agreed,the slip on will be quieter,but i think the evolution will be louder
Also this depends of what kind of Oem. exhaust mod.
he said EAS, so thats pretty much a muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Evo is on the quiet side for an aftermarket exhaust. In terms of pure sound, while subjective, the OEM exhaust mod is absolutely incredible. Problem is, if you are looking for that extra power by getting rid of the primary cats, then it doesn't sound that great.

Conclusion: OEM mod sounds awesome, but only if you leave it alone. Go aftermarket if you want to delete cats
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
10000000x better. It has a great deep tone (IMO) and I love the sound on downshifting. I have the EVO with ESS tuning -- that I got from ACG here in San Diego -- and have loved every minute of driving my M3 with this exhaust setup.
I have to disagree...I had the akra evo and was not impressed at all. The sound lacked character to say the least.

I now have the dinan x pipe and akra axel back and imo it sounds dramatically better. Cleaner and more substance to the note than the Evo did.
Appreciate 1
kabuda41.50
      10-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
I have to disagree with your disagreement. The sound has tons of character. Tons.
Agreed, not to mention the Akra weight savings and the fact that the OEM is fugly.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
All the Akra Evos I've heard are pretty quiet...deep toned, but definitely pretty quiet in terms of what you can get out there now from a full exhaust. I ended up get the Akra rear with a different X-pipe (stainless steel, weight savings mean less to me than money saved and sound output) to get the sound I want for a price that's reasonable.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

When i read all this,i need to say what i said many times before on this forum....
Sound is..... very personal !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
I have to disagree...I had the akra evo and was not impressed at all. The sound lacked character to say the least.

I now have the dinan x pipe and akra axel back and imo it sounds dramatically better. Cleaner and more substance to the note than the Evo did.
How does the Dinan mid-pipe/Akra slip-on compare to the Akra Evo in terms of bass at low RPM? Does it reduce the bass at all?

To me, the Akra Evo is bassy at low RPM and then gets drowned out by the engine at higher RPM. I'd like a touch less bass/sound at low RPM and a bit more volume (higher pitched) at higher RPM.

Last edited by Hujan; 10-21-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

i recently got rid of my megan+testpipes...first step was to go down to another buddy's place to swap the megan for the oem mod....next step was to go up to the valley and swap out xpipes....holy shit that drive with oem mod + testpipes WOW. shit sounded like a c63 on steroids....don't know why people say it sounds like crap without experiencing it first hand....i had the rear seats folded down to as I was lugging around the megan. then i swapped xpipe with TP for stock xpipe and that gracious noise just disappeared....to me the oem mod is too quiet for me now once having testpipes and an exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
How does the Dinan mid-pipe/Akra slip-on compare to the Akra Evo in terms of bass at low RPM? Does it reduce the bass at all?

To me, the Akra Evo is bassy at low RPM and then gets drowned out by the engine at higher RPM. I'd like a touch less bass/sound at low RPM and a bit more volume (higher pitched) at higher RPM.
Completely agree on this one. I like the bassy sound of the akra down low but it really does get drowned out by the engine/intake noise at WOT. When I first got the exhaust I was truely expecting something more aggressive and slightly louder with more of a growl and found it somewhat underwhelming.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Completely agree on this one. I like the bassy sound of the akra down low but it really does get drowned out by the engine/intake noise at WOT. When I first got the exhaust I was truely expecting something more aggressive and slightly louder with more of a growl and found it somewhat underwhelming.
It may get drowned out in the cabin with the windows up (a good thing IMO) but anyone outside sure hears you coming.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post

It's still bassy at lower rpms (<2K) but after that its pretty quiet when cruising for a catless exhaust. Once youre on it the mix of exhaust and intake it pretty much perfect and you never lose the exhaust sound to the intake. I def get a lot of heads turning on acceleration and downshifts.

One thing I will say though, although I hate raspy cars, I dont mind a slight bit. The akra with the dinan is super clean sounding. Not a hint of rasp at all. Its deep and has a somewhat exotic note higher in the rev range. IMO it sounds much better than the Evo system I had. At the same time there are times where I wish it was louder and had a slight bit more rawness to the downshifts (rasp I guess). I have a mastermind race I will be switching the dinan out for if I dont switch to MPE and test pipes...so we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
I went from an Eisenmann black series race axel back only to Evo and had the same feeling. It was very quiet and the tone of the exhaust itself left a lot to be desired. Def not something you'd think for a 6K system. The things that makes me hesitant to switch above all is the fact that the Akra with an aggressive x pipe sounds great, is very well made, the tips are phenomenal (especially mine) and its appearance from the rear is great that you dont see it for the most part. At the same time, I really want something enjoyable to hear above all. Exhaust cans can always be painted black and made unnoticeable.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 10-22-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Wolf - I've considered the Dinan x-pipe - any fitment issues with Akra rear section?
      10-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Wolf - I've considered the Dinan x-pipe - any fitment issues with Akra rear section?
No issues so long as you have tthe adapters.

Im likely switching to my mastermind race though for a slighty more aggressive note. Or switching to test pipes and MPE
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm running test pipes and the OEM ACM mod, I think it sounds insane, between eisenmann sport and race, I get compliments all the time because my car looks completely stock but puts amg cars to shame. the akra seems like an amazing exhaust but I don't know if I can justify the cost for the benefit, especially if you are looking for sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

I am trying out Evo x-pipe with RKP adapters with MPE in March. Lets see how this goes!
ti & inconel!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
i recently got rid of my megan+testpipes...first step was to go down to another buddy's place to swap the megan for the oem mod....next step was to go up to the valley and swap out xpipes....holy shit that drive with oem mod + testpipes WOW. shit sounded like a c63 on steroids....don't know why people say it sounds like crap without experiencing it first hand....i had the rear seats folded down to as I was lugging around the megan. then i swapped xpipe with TP for stock xpipe and that gracious noise just disappeared....to me the oem mod is too quiet for me now once having testpipes and an exhaust system.
I had that setup for a month and it was fun for the first 2 weeks, then it just got old. Sure you get a ton of sound, but it's just rasp. It's not that Germanic V8 sound that I'm looking for.

And between 3-4k RPM, where the rasp was at its highest, it was so damn high pitched that it rattled some brackets under my headliner, super annoying.

Sure, everyone at car meets loved it because it sounded either great idling or WOT. But my car lives between 2-5k, and the sound is just not for me.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I had that setup for a month and it was fun for the first 2 weeks, then it just got old. Sure you get a ton of sound, but it's just rasp. It's not that Germanic V8 sound that I'm looking for.

And between 3-4k RPM, where the rasp was at its highest, it was so damn high pitched that it rattled some brackets under my headliner, super annoying.

Sure, everyone at car meets loved it because it sounded either great idling or WOT. But my car lives between 2-5k, and the sound is just not for me.
my car lives at 6-9k where the raspiness gets even better! i like a raspy note much more than an old fart can note. thats just my opinion....e36/46 rasp...ferrari...rasp....yeah i like rasp.

all these other exhausts sound like my integra with apexi dunk exhaust.

(they do sound better of course than the integra but the characteristics are very similar is what im getting at )
Appreciate 0