BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

12-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #45
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
M division engineers called you in Ontario to discuss trannies and diffs? Ok, I'll play along. I could only imagine that the reasoning would be that IF there were a problem, damage would be minimal ($$) and easily repaired as opposed to damage that takes place under full throttle. By no means though, do gears have a break-in period.
Spend 10 days in Germany third week of October on a trip arranged by BMW dealership. Trip included behind the scene Welt tour, BMW museum tour, Munich factory tour. Two days at Sazburgring for M power experience driving X5& 6M's on track including dinner with M division president, two days driving BMW formula cars at Nurburbring and one day in Munich with M sales & marketing & engineering where we were given M3,5 & 6's for the day for a drive on the Autobahn to Garmisch with a stop at the M engine development factory for a tour where we got to see the dynos the development engines are run on. Also given some details of M3 GTS prior to public release of the information. Seen some test mules during the day with what turned out to be the M3 GTS brakes & rims.
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #46
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
No it isn't.

My dad a mechanic for 40+ years (now retired... obviously) says that breaking in is important if you wish your car to last long.

Something to do with tiny particles of metal that need to be expelled from the car
Well! That settles it then. This should obviate the need for all future threads on this subject.
Which is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #47
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Spend 10 days in Germany third week of October on a trip arranged by BMW dealership. Trip included behind the scene Welt tour, BMW museum tour, Munich factory tour. Two days at Sazburgring for M power experience driving X5& 6M's on track including dinner with M division president, two days driving BMW formula cars at Nurburbring and one day in Munich with M sales & marketing & engineering where we were given M3,5 & 6's for the day for a drive on the Autobahn to Garmisch with a stop at the M engine development factory for a tour where we got to see the dynos the development engines are run on. Also given some details of M3 GTS prior to public release of the information. Seen some test mules during the day with what turned out to be the M3 GTS brakes & rims.
What a trip!!

I guess you did meet and greet the guys in the lab coats
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #48
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Break in is more for the transmission & rear differential. Not as much of an issue for the engine
You are correct. Having spent enough time with the guys from ///M (Albert is great!) to know that after the first 100 miles the bearing are set etc. the rest of the break in is because of the rear diff and transmission as far as the drive line is concerned. The rear diff is very sensitive and can develop a whine if not broken in the right way- usually 300 miles does that then drive it like you stole it!

Remember the brakes and tires need about 300 miles as well as the suspension so after that magic 300 number go to town on it.
      12-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #49
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Sounds like a great time BUT what did you gleen from running in!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #50
turb934
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Sounds like a great time BUT what did you gleen from running in!!!!!!!
Break in is more for the transmission & rear differential. Not as much of an issue for the engine as I posted earlier.
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #51
trucheli
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
You are correct. Having spent enough time with the guys from ///M (Albert is great!) to know that after the first 100 miles the bearing are set etc. the rest of the break in is because of the rear diff and transmission as far as the drive line is concerned. The rear diff is very sensitive and can develop a whine if not broken in the right way- usually 300 miles does that then drive it like you stole it!

Remember the brakes and tires need about 300 miles as well as the suspension so after that magic 300 number go to town on it.
I guess mine was done right. Back in June I took delivery of my E92 M3 DCT in Munich. For the first 300 miles i took it easy but after that I was doing 170 mph for short periods of time. I must say that my car runs great and I haven't had to add any oil yet. There is nothing like getting a car with 0 miles on the clock and knowing that you are the only one responsible for the treatment of your vehicle. If you have never done European Delivery you are missing a big part of what BMW is all about. I have learned to respect the brand and appreciate the workmanship that goes into any BMW car regardless of the model. I have seen a lot of senseless modifications here and I wonder what the guys at the M division have to say about it, I think they are still laughing at the way people butcher their cars.

Last edited by trucheli; 12-19-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #52
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucheli View Post
I guess mine was done right. Back in June I took delivery of my E92 M3 DCT in Munich. For the first 300 miles i took it easy but after that I was doing 170 mph for short periods of time. I must say that my car runs great and I haven't had to add any oil yet. There is nothing like getting a car with 0 miles on the clock and knowing that you are the only one responsible for the treatment of your vehicle. If you have never done European Delivery you are missing a big part of what BMW is all about. I have learned to respect the brand and appreciate the workmanship that goes into any BMW car regardless of the model. I have seen a lot of senseless modifications here and I wonder what the guys at the M division have to say about it, I think they are still laughing at the way people butcher their cars.
+1000

Euro Delivery is the greatest and I would agree the guys at ///M are laughing (actually I KNOW they are!).
      12-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #53
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Interesting comment I read awhile back, "Your car is like your kid, treat it like a pussy and it will grow up to be a pussy..."
Obviously, the person who stated that believed in breaking the car in hard.
But I see no harm in following the break-in recommendations.
But to the OP, I think your car will be fine...
      12-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #54
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Wink

Pussy or not, I have had many new performance cars and always treated them as I would like them treated, following recommended breaking in proceedures, mine have never used Oil and thats the last 9 cars.
Just my 2P.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #55
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
My dad a mechanic for 40+ years (now retired... obviously) says that breaking in is important if you wish your car to last long.
Modern engines are quite different from 40 years ago. Or even 20. Remember reading the main reason for break-in back then was the honing on iron cylinder liners. Now even Nikasil coating is old technology . Plus materials and tolerances are much better as well. Not saying he's wrong, but times have changed dramatically . I still enjoy tinkering with the double-pumper and timing on the Cobra's BB, but still wish it was fuel injected with electronic controls. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #56
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Modern engines are quite different from 40 years ago. Or even 20. Remember reading the main reason for break-in back then was the honing on iron cylinder liners. Now even Nikasil coating is old technology . Plus materials and tolerances are much better as well. Not saying he's wrong, but times have changed dramatically . I still enjoy tinkering with the double-pumper and timing on the Cobra's BB, but still wish it was fuel injected with electronic controls. Take care.
He didn't say his Dad retired 40 years ago. Or even 20. Take care.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #57
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
He didn't say his Dad retired 40 years ago. Or even 20.
My point was even if he was NOT retired, 40-yr-old technology (1960s) is mostly obsolete today. And even '80s technology. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #58
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Damnit. I'm jealous. I will probably ED the M5 after it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #59
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucheli View Post
I did nearly the same thing. Waited until around 400 miles before I drove it above 110MPH in Germany. I was respectful of break-in...never full throttle and shifted prior to 5500 RPM, but I did not follow the break-in procedures on the top speed though. I had over 500 miles on the car when I drove 100+MPH from Nuremberg to Munich (100 miles). My top speed was 152MPH (wow, what a smooth ride at high speed). I did not take the bait of trying to run with a new 911. I was running at 130MPH and he was coming up pretty quick. I moved over and let him fly past. If I had more miles on the car, I know I would driven it much harder and faster....110mph is not fast enough in Germany, especially when station wagons were passing me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #60
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
....110mph is not fast enough in Germany, especially when station wagons were passing me.
HAHA...when i was there i rented a vw van...had it goin 230kph..was sick..then a kid(aprx 20) with what looked to be his grandma passed me in a mercedes e-wagon! my van was maxed out!!! kept shifting from 5th and 6th, trying to get it goin..when on downhill friend got it to 234kph
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #61
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
We are in agreement
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #62
BMW2011DCT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 DCT White Carbon Roof

I know this is a little late for this thread.

I purchased a new 2006 M5 in 2006. I was a little immature so I beat the living shit out of it from mile 3 to 55,000. I never had anything go wrong with it except I hated the SMG always looking for the right gear. I now have a new2011 M3 and I have been very good to her. I bought my M3 on May 28th and it just know has 1150 so I am getting its oil changed on Aug 18th. Do you really have to be good to it until mile 3000? I really would love to drive it hard just once!!!!!! Any info would and is appreciated.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
2012 M5 (I Wish)
2011 M3
2010 ESCALADE (Platinum)
2010 SL65 (Black Series)
2009 Z06
2008 S65
2007 Escalade
2006 M5
2006 300 SRT8
2006 Z06
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #63
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
However, still curious, does anyone have any experience with a car that wasn't broke in properly? How differently does it handle? When I got the car, it was low on oil, kinda pissed me off, anyway, would my car run through oil faster? That doesn't even make sense.
When I got my 335i Sport 6MT in '07... I drove it hard just after 200 miles... and drove it like that everyday for 3 years 55k miles. Had no problems!

6MT was perfect, engine was perfect and what not
      08-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #64
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

1200 miles fine go easy. But the increase 500rpm every 1000 miles is BS
      08-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #65
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep