BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
dexter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er

i saw the new B8 audi S4 today on the road in so cal

it was white, i have to say, if i wasnt stuck behind it on PCH in newport beach i wouldn't have even noticed it. it is nice looking, but much to subtle IMO. i just wish they would dress up the exterior a little more. not to the extent of the boy racer cars like evo's and sti's, but just something a little more aggresive to really distinguish the differences between it and the A4.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Question

The same could be said about the E90/E92 328i and 335i.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
lyjw88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63S & X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
it was white, i have to say, if i wasnt stuck behind it on PCH in newport beach i wouldn't have even noticed it. it is nice looking, but much to subtle IMO. i just wish they would dress up the exterior a little more. not to the extent of the boy racer cars like evo's and sti's, but just something a little more aggresive to really distinguish the differences between it and the A4.
same here.
I thought it was a regular A4...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Guys, did the quad pipes not give you a clue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

i think the new gen audi will look as boring as the old gen in a few year. i find audi in general looks nice, but they don't seem to have soul in the look department.

for example. I know many would disagree due to the newness of the r8. but trust me down the road, the 911 gt3 still looks more exciting than the r8. I think pricing wise, they are comparable right? the r8 9 (audi halo car) already look old in person everytime I see it.

current s4/s5 looks boring already and that LED strip is getting old.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
The same could be said about the E90/E92 328i and 335i.
Yeah but the difference between the 328 and 335 is not the same as the difference between an S4 and an A4.

S4 is more comparable to an M sport. Dressed up and more sporty.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i think the new gen audi will look as boring as the old gen in a few year. i find audi in general looks nice, but they don't seem to have soul in the look department.

for example. I know many would disagree due to the newness of the r8. but trust me down the road, the 911 gt3 still looks more exciting than the r8. I think pricing wise, they are comparable right? the r8 9 (audi halo car) already look old in person everytime I see it.

current s4/s5 looks boring already and that LED strip is getting old.
I understand completely what you mean by the R8, but the same is true for even modern Ferraris. Porsche continuously get flak for it's boring same all looks of each new 911 but the facts are that it's an icon and it's looks are timeless, the very fact it's been around for forty years is proof that the design still works and until the turndown it's appear was strong than ever.

But I don't agree that the R8 looks old at the moment, it's probably the best looking modern supercar after the F458 and all of the Astons.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
And the same HAS been said. Audi's grow old much better than BMW's.

The old E46 M3 had decent (boring) styling, and thus it will grow old better than the wild styling of the E92. Personally I think the 335i just looks unfinished, the hood is a huge mistake while the back looks nice. The 135i is hideous.

The more ''modern'' the styling, the less ''timeless'', and thus the older it will look after a few years.
I honestly can't think of much difference between the 335i and 328i besides wheels, and the split exhaust. In fact, people who have made these mods on their 328i and debadged their cars have made 335i clones for fairly cheap.

The difference between the S4 and A4 in comparison is actually slightly more stock for stock.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
NewSong
United_States
Rep

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

But I don't agree that the R8 looks old at the moment, it's probably the best looking modern supercar after the F458 and all of the Astons.
The R8 looks better than the Italia, sorry.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Guys, did the quad pipes not give you a clue.
Quad pipes, big whoop.
      10-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

Quote:

The old E46 M3 had decent (boring) styling, and thus it will grow old better than the wild styling of the E92. Personally I think the 335i just looks unfinished, the hood is a huge mistake while the back looks nice. The 135i is hideous.

The more ''modern'' the styling, the less ''timeless'', and thus the older it will look after a few years.

no way! the e46 is one of the most amazing designs in automotive history. its simply, and looks powerful without getting boy-racy.

and i think the opposite about the 335i, i really like the front but the back isnt all that great IMO

and of course audi age better than bimmers. Audi has hardly changes the looks of theyre cars so its hard to tell whether the car is new or apporaching 10 years old. at least bimmer keeps their designs fresh from one gen to the next.

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't put much stock into the subjective opinion of someone who would spend over 30 thousand dollars of their money on something as ugly as the 1-series.
which is your OPINION. I have never recieved a negative comment on my 1er, so if some random ass guy on the internet thinks its ugly, well thats just fine. YOU didnt buy it did you

**If the possibility exists that you may have "failed" in either a normal or "epic" fashion, please follow this link.**
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #13
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I was followed by a 135i in sedona red today. It looked nice.^
Everyone I know actually digs the 1er in person, not so much online or in pics.

They look much better on the road, as do all modern cars with intricate surfacing.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

50% of the Is-F's exhausts do absolutely nothing. On a 328i I could just stick on a muffler tip to the other side, put a diffuser = 50% exhaust that looks like 100%
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Audis are ten times more photogenic than Bimmers, but I usually find the designs boring in person. They're never offensive, and they're usually attractive in a mature manner, but I couldn't picture myself smiling at one when I walk to the garage in the morning everyday.

Design will always remain widely subjective. It's useless to argue your opinion another's. It is worth providing input for your reasoning however.

I think Audi is the master of modern-day conservative styling. They make safe, crisp designs that are generally pleasing. I think that's great, but I like styles with emotion, and barring the R8, there really isn't an emotive Audi. Maybe the previous-gen TT. It had a clinical, Bauhaus, out-there look that the new one doesn't match, regardless of the new one being sleeker.

The problem stems from them all following too similar of a template. The front end is a matter of resizing the grilles and brake ducts. Oh, and adding tons of brightwork. I'd like to see them brake away and do something new. The E-tron is a step in that direction, but the execution needs to be different.

BMWs are polarizing. They implement details that make each model unique. What I like about them is the fact that they grow on me over time. The exact opposite happens with an Audi model release. I absolutely LOVE new Audis, but they grow boring over time.

I've hated the X1 upon its concept unveiling, and now I think it's possibly the 1st/2nd best looking X-Bimmer. I despised the 1er when it was first introduced, now I think it's actually good looking, but I'm still not a big fan of the fishy M-Sport front bumper. I thought the 5er was terrible, now I love it, and consider the styling restrained compared to modern-day standards. Hell, even the F01's weird rear end grew on me when I followed an Li through traffic today.

It's all subjective.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

1 Series bashing is just getting too old.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #17
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
1 Series bashing is just getting too old.
Unfortunately BMW is never going to make a "0" series, so the "1" series is stuck.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #18
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Unfortunately BMW is never going to make a "0" series, so the "1" series is stuck.
obviously someone is misinformed lol

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308960

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #19
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Why are people complaining that the S4 looks to subtle, too much like an A4? If you were able to discern that the car was an S4, shouldn't that be enough? In the end, they get modded anyway...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #20
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
lets be honest, the odds of it being as hideous as the 1 are slim
you dont have to talk if you dont want to.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #21
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
oh ok thanks
Just out of curiosity, are you trying to be a douche?

Or are you just coming across that way to me?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:

you must be joking or never own/saw an e46 m3 before. it is hands down better looking than the entire audi line up right now. bull dog stance is not boring my friend.

you do realize many manufacturers are copying the aggressive stance of the e46 m3 today right, isf, s5, g35 coupe. notice they all have similar stance.

I agree that I'm not atract to the 1, regular 3 series, etc. but let be real on which one look good.

e46 m3 - very good looking and still looking good until today
e9x m3 - very good looking albeit some hater can't accept it
s5 - very good looking, but you will get bored of it look very fast.
r8 - very good looking, but you will get bored of it look very fast.
x6 - very good looking, but some may not like it
z4m coupe - very good looking and it would stand the test of time for sure

everything else in audi or bmw line up may look good, but not very good up to the standard of those I mentioned above.
Appreciate 0