BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #67
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I like the people that judge other people for what they want or don't want out of the car. That's classic.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #68
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I like the people that judge other people for what they want or don't want out of the car. That's classic.
So someone who wants front and rear camera's, iDrive, ventilated a/c seats is a true track junkie?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #69
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
So someone who wants front and rear camera's, iDrive, ventilated a/c seats is a true track junkie?
The E9x M3 is not a track car, it is a luxury GT car that is extremely capable on the track. If you want to do a barebones M3 because YOU are a track junky, more power to you. Don't judge others because they use the car for something different or have different expectations.

Furthermore, if you have a problem with BMW's direction, why don't you write them a letter instead of insulting people that don't share your singular vision of what the M3 should be, but clearly is not?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #70
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
+10000 to the bbk's.
      09-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #71
m5sparky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

the m3 is what it is, if you are more luxury guy. go for the isf, if you like the track get the gt3, and if you cant afford that but want a track car with some luxury items , well you already have it , the m3
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #72
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

^ And if you want a SMOKIN' HOT track car that's in the M3's price range, but can whoop some serious a$$.......Go for the GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #73
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
^ And if you want a SMOKIN' HOT track car that's in the M3's price range, but can whoop some serious a$$.......Go for the GT-R.
Have you driven one?
      09-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #74
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Oh and a factory alarm would be nice and definitely some LED tails. And a cool option that I'd probably pay for is like remote start on the DCT's.
      09-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #75
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Thank you sir. Finally someone gets it.

I think the obsession with the camera's is for people CAN'T DRIVE FOR CRAP.

Technic''s ideas are a good start, but iDrive should not be standard. I have no use for it and think it's ugly and it doesn't add any performance capability to the car.

Brake ducting should be preparded for so you can just snap on some Performance ducts to the rotors.
+1 on the iDrive...i have grown to like the new 2009 system, but I would prefer to not have it. my only fear is that iDrive makes a lot of functions very simple, which might be hard with a regular stereo deck. this is why MDM, premium audio, and other similar features require iDrive.

Quote:
The E9x M3 is not a track car, it is a luxury GT car that is extremely capable on the track. If you want to do a barebones M3 because YOU are a track junky, more power to you. Don't judge others because they use the car for something different or have different expectations.

Furthermore, if you have a problem with BMW's direction, why don't you write them a letter instead of insulting people that don't share your singular vision of what the M3 should be, but clearly is not?
True, the M3 is not a track car, but "luxury GT" is highly debatable. I guess everyone might have a different definition. I'd group the M3 as a sports GT or simply as a sports car. Seeing that the car is coming from M GmbH, the emphasis is definitely on "sport" over "luxury" (or at least it should be!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowowizstev View Post
Oh and a factory alarm would be nice and definitely some LED tails. And a cool option that I'd probably pay for is like remote start on the DCT's.
+1 on factory alarm...LED tails coming soon!
      09-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #76
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: OGV

gathering on some other posts --- a club sport option would be cool...

ungraded brakes
power seat delete
brake ducts
intake plenum
revised suspension
weight reduction
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #77
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
MDM should be STANDARD. Really pathetic you have to buy the Tech package which opens a new can of worms --- EDC.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #78
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's my point exactly.
If you know anything about how the M3 started, you'd understand why I'm not a fan of what it's turning into. The M division use to have a "singular vision" of what they were producing.

And I don't need to write them a letter because they monitor these boards.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #79
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
+1 on the iDrive...i have grown to like the new 2009 system, but I would prefer to not have it. my only fear is that iDrive makes a lot of functions very simple, which might be hard with a regular stereo deck. this is why MDM, premium audio, and other similar features require iDrive.

+1 on factory alarm...LED tails coming soon!
I see your point, but they could implement MDM with the existing DSC button. One push for MDM and hold it down for disengaging DSC completely.
As for the LED tails, they had it in the last generationg and then took it away, just so they can say, "we made some upgrades mid cycle." Kinda stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
MDM should be STANDARD. Really pathetic you have to buy the Tech package which opens a new can of worms --- EDC.
I agree completely.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #80
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's my point exactly.
If you know anything about how the M3 started, you'd understand why I'm not a fan of what it's turning into. The M division use to have a "singular vision" of what they were producing.

And I don't need to write them a letter because they monitor these boards.
The E30 M3 is an icon, and I'd love to own one in the future. But to suggest that the people buying the E92 should have the same standards as those that bought the E30 seems absurd to me. The car, the M strategy, the auto industry, and the target market has evolved in the past 23 years. I don't find fault with you having an issue with the evolution of the strategy; it's the contempt for the people that don't share your views that I find unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #81
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I do think the packaging on the options of the M3, and BMW in general, really suck right now. They remind me of what the cable companies do with channels - package 10 shitty channels with the 1 you want in some obscure package.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #82
Silverstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE

I look at it this way, Im buying a BMW that has a solid price tag on it. I have expectations of whats gonna be in it as a standard. I know im buying a BMW and im gonna enjoy what the R&D has come up with for their new cars.

Yes they wanna keep the car's weight decent enough to make the best out of the engine and handling. but when i find silly things i gotta pay extra for that have already become a standard in most cars it really bothers me.

forget about bluetooth and camera and all these gadgets that i personally dont mind having. But i cant forget about MDM and all the other performance options that should come with an M car but dont. Its like they wanna take away your money in any possible way.
      09-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #83
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
I see your point, but they could implement MDM with the existing DSC button. One push for MDM and hold it down for disengaging DSC completely.
MDM is not only an on/off thing. You have to set the individual settings for the 4 or 5 things that are adjustable in the MDM menu. How would you do that without a GUI like the iDrive screen? You could display it on the instrument cluster LCD but now we're talking about redesigning the whole control system.
      09-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #84
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
MDM is not only an on/off thing. You have to set the individual settings for the 4 or 5 things that are adjustable in the MDM menu. How would you do that without a GUI like the iDrive screen? You could display it on the instrument cluster LCD but now we're talking about redesigning the whole control system.
MDM is not to be mistaken with M Mode. The former is indeed an on/off thing which could be made available via the DSC button (just like it is for the regular cars, short push for DTC, long push for DSC off).

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #85
OneHump
Rep
Drives: M3

I think it's hard to understand the value of a backup camera unless you've had one. I had one on my IS 350 and, after comfort access, it's the best feature on the car. You can shoehorn your car into the tiniest spaces with a camera because it lets you get your car to within 1/4" of the bumper behind you without hitting anything. It also makes backing out of parking spaces MUCH easier. I think it's a complete abortion of logic that BMWs come with so many other luxury features and miss on something so simple.

I'd also like to see the "dual" feature on climate control. It's silly to have the passenger side at one setting, say 70, while mine is at 63 or 80. Like any other car, I should be able to hit a button and make them sync.

The absolute worst feature of this car is the reset of recirc after every start. If I want my air to stay in the car, it should stay in the car. It's annoying to have to switch to recirc every time I get in the car. The same holds true for the shift setting (S5). It defaults to S3.

Everything else is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #86
OneHump
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
You know theres a problem when the back up camera is the best feature of the car.
There would be a problem if it were the best feature of an M3, but it was certainly among the top two features of my IS 350.

When there's a problem is when people are too afraid of folding mirrors because it adds weight. This isn't a race car folks. In most cases it's a daily driver. For that reason, it should have amenities. I know a lot of you can't handle the extra 2 oz. of weight a backup camera will add, but it's a useful feature.

I'll bet that most of you could either stand to lose a few inches of waist line to compensate for the weight of your amenities, or perhaps washing out some of that hair gel would compensate.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #87
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
MDM allows a little more slip before DCS kicks in to save your butt.
M-Mode allows you to adjust the shocks, steering and DSC to a preset combination. I don't need adjustable steering or shocks, but I would like a more forgiving DSC to save my butt in case I screw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
MDM is not to be mistaken with M Mode. The former is indeed an on/off thing which could be made available via the DSC button (just like it is for the regular cars, short push for DTC, long push for DSC off).

Best regards,
south
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #88
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The E30 M3 is an icon, and I'd love to own one in the future. But to suggest that the people buying the E92 should have the same standards as those that bought the E30 seems absurd to me. The car, the M strategy, the auto industry, and the target market has evolved in the past 23 years. I don't find fault with you having an issue with the evolution of the strategy; it's the contempt for the people that don't share your views that I find unreasonable.
Quote:
I do think the packaging on the options of the M3, and BMW in general, really suck right now. They remind me of what the cable companies do with channels - package 10 shitty channels with the 1 you want in some obscure package.
The contempt is because the M-division is listening too much and now we have SUV's as M cars instead of CSi vehicles like they should be.

At least we agree on the packaging. BMW could easily package cars in a way to make both camps happy, mainly by allowing MDM as a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0