BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-15-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Kong's Second DE Videos

Just thought I'd share some videos from my second DE. I made a lot of progress since my first event in July 2015. I applied what I learned from my first instructor and cleaned things up from there. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but I think I did good overall. I improved my consistency and vision, didn't follow the lines of cars in front of me as much, didn't chase apexes as much, and lost my death grip. I also didn't over rev or go off this time.

I would still like to improve upon everything listed above, plus a few other things like smoothness of inputs and I guess vision - looking at my mirrors while turning in to see if a car behind me is about to crash into me bc he/she lost brakes (or something like that) and looking at corner stations earlier, like looking at the corner station at turn 2 while I'm on the front straight. Also want to work on my lines at some turns like 1 and 2, 8, and 10. I believe I'm using the Porsche line coming off the bank at turn 1 and will experiment with coming off the bank earlier at WOT. I wasn't comfortable turning in using the Porsche line at 120+ MPH and WOT. I picked up pace at a lot of corners as the weekend progressed, especially 5, 6, and 12. I can pick up more speed easily at 10 and 11.

I turned off DSC starting the first session of the second day, and holy shit, what a difference that makes. The car would get a little squirrely under braking at turns 1 and 3, kinda scary. With DSC on, my fastest recorded lap was 2:17.60, and 2:09.11 with it off. My goal during the session in which I got my fastest lap was to slow down a little and be more smooth, which resulted in my fastest lap. I didn't get footage of my fastest lap bc I accidentally turned my camera off driving to grid, but I did get my second fastest, 2:09.33, during the blue check ride (I wasn't trying to set lap records during the check ride, I promise).

I was running Bridgestone RE760s in all these videos. I'm still trying to figure out Dash Ware and couldn't sync the lap times perfectly, so they're posted below each video.

Please critique anything but my restless thumbs. I have no idea why they were moving around.

First DE for reference.

My last session with DSC on.

First session of second day. DSC off for the first time. Lost rear end for the first time at track at 6:35. Boxster in front of me goes off at 12:15, I got sucked into its line and could've gone off too. I had a stupid moment at 14:00, luckily nothing bad happened.

Check ride for blue. Third and last session of the day. More severe skid at 3:00, recovery could've been better. Lap 5 was 2:09.33, starts at 11:30.

Last edited by Kong Sheng Han; 01-15-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Look down the track further and that will help with smoothness. You missed the T9 apex a couple of times. Turn your head sooner and you'll be spot on.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Look down the track further and that will help with smoothness. You missed the T9 apex a couple of times. Turn your head sooner and you'll be spot on.
Yep. I gotta keep working on improving my vision.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
John recommended you for blue. I need to call him. LOL

If you want to get better you have to show up more than every 6 months. Who was your instructor in July? He didn't do an Eval on ClubReg.

Work on smoother inputs and get that fing phone/camera out of your vision. The fact that you hit while recovering in T3 means it is in a bad place. Move it. I would have made you move it if I got in the car for your check ride.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
John recommended you for blue. I need to call him. LOL

If you want to get better you have to show up more than every 6 months. Who was your instructor in July? He didn't do an Eval on ClubReg.

Work on smoother inputs and get that fing phone/camera out of your vision. The fact that you hit while recovering in T3 means it is in a bad place. Move it. I would have made you move it if I got in the car for your check ride.
Darrell was my first instructor. Am I supposed to leave feedback for my instructors? Going more often wasn't possible previously bc of distance from my school. I'm in Austin now, so that won't be much of an issue anymore.

Copy that. I didn't think it'd be an issue until I hit it. Will probably move to the right side of rearview mirror.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Yes. You can leave feedback for instructors.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Okay, I'll start doing doing that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

good posts. You forgot the most important part though.

Did you bring sun block this time?

It can be overwhelming to practice everything at once. Pick one thing and stick to "rehearsing" that for the whole session. You are really talking about vision in almost every post. So the next day out for the first session or two, who cares about everything else, just make it a priority to work on your vision whether it is keeping your eyes way ahead, or looking for flag stations, or checking your mirrors (btw are they pointed at the right place? they should be pointed way more out than usual, in your blind spots and you shouldn't be able to see the side of your car). Do that the whole 20 minutes, you will catch yourself not looking ahead and looking dead straight and will be able to correct it quickly since you have made it a priority for the session. Do that for a couple sessions. Then it will be ingrained and programmed into your brain. Then you can work on whatever else is next.

I bet you get better by not even trying as hard anymore as you just "download" these driver mod programs into your brain.

Last edited by M3 Number 86; 01-17-2016 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

It can be overwhelming to practice everything at once. Pick one thing and stick to "rehearsing" that for the whole session. You are really talking about vision in almost every post. So the next day out for the first session or two, who cares about everything else, just make it a priority to work on your vision whether it is keeping your eyes way ahead, or looking for flag stations, or checking your mirrors (btw are they pointed at the right place? they should be pointed way more out than usual, in your blind spots and you shouldn't be able to see the side of your car). Do that the whole 20 minutes, you will catch yourself not looking ahead and looking dead straight and will be able to correct it quickly since you have made it a priority for the session. Do that for a couple sessions. Then it will be ingrained and programmed into your brain. Then you can work on whatever else is next.

I bet you get better by not even trying as hard anymore as you just "download" these driver mod programs into your brain.
No, it was COLD.

Thanks for the tips. I'll do that. I've tried to move my mirrors out, but I can't get used to it and move them back.

My fastest lap was actually a result of me trying to smooth out my inputs. That was the focus of the session, and I ended up being about a second faster than previous fastest lap.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

No, it was COLD.

Thanks for the tips. I'll do that. I've tried to move my mirrors out, but I can't get used to it and move them back.

My fastest lap was actually a result of me trying to smooth out my inputs. That was the focus of the session, and I ended up being about a second faster than previous fastest lap.
At this point though, lap times shouldn't matter, if, for example, someone else in the same car is plenty faster. Focus on your technique whether that is being smooth, vision, brake throttle technique, one at a time, and in the long run you will gain a shit ton of time. I don't know where your skill level is at but this is what I did.

I was worlds slower than my group and the majority of people and for 6 months all I did was practice practice practice. No timing. I went to the back of the run group and focused on what I wanted to accomplish. Once I felt I had the fundamentals hard wired where I didn't have to constantly think about or remind myself of these things I went back to timing myself and working on the things I could do to lower times whether it was just flat out carrying more speed, extending my brake zone more and more into the apex, etc but now I'm more confident because of drift and car control practice, foot technique, looking up, etc, in case I happen to screw things up, things happen automatically and naturally because it's programmed in my brain.

I still have to remind myself of these things and usually still focus on certain things in the beginning of the day. People usually have their fastest time of the day in the earlier sessions but for some reason I climb up the leaderboard towards the end of the day and my fastest lap times are often in the last session of the day.